pulling leafs from pack

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
how does McGaughys get the 5 out back?? i can see keys gettin you 2-3 in front but i thought the farthest shackle only got you 3". is their shackles longer to get you a 5"?? really wanting to get mine 3/5, just curious how they get it that far out back. thanks

i think they replace the hanger to get the extra 2 "

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
If you pull all the leafs but the overload, you won't have to clamp, because it will sit right on the overload.

I'm hearing from suspension experts that I'm a retard and it's dangerous. Dunno about the dangerous, but I'm certainly a retard. :D

I was told this also

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
yea i just put by overloads back in because my truck sat too low to put on my traction bars and i was afraid of ruining the spinny stick under there

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
If you pull all the leafs but the overload, you won't have to clamp, because it will sit right on the overload.

I'm hearing from suspension experts that I'm a retard and it's dangerous. Dunno about the dangerous, but I'm certainly a retard. :D

Ive been called that as well! I have the top two springs and the over load, my overload sits about 1/2" off the 2nd spring, i dont clamp but i run the cal tracs tight to the top spring + a 1/4 turn of preload, works real well no hop launchin or during burnouts:D.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
did you ruin the driveshaft from wheel hop? Maybe i can leave the overload and pull another leaf out of the spring pack.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Casper has hopped violently in during sled pulls and when the track had water on it, but so far has not broken anything but a transfer case, which exploded internally.

Keep in mind cars used to have just 1 spring. The leaf "packs" are for progressive spring rate. Corvettes still have just one.

Lennart

Not from here !
Aug 10, 2006
Detmold, Germany
did you ruin the driveshaft from wheel hop? Maybe i can leave the overload and pull another leaf out of the spring pack.

I removed leaf #2 and the overload. The damage to my driveshaft was done because of axle wrap.
The angle between driveshaft and diff got to a point where the driveshafts u-joint bushing hit the diff.

Just a week ago I had the driveshaft at a repair shop, luckily they said as long as my u-joint is fine (which it is) I should keep driving it.

Will be installing caltracs over the weekend :D