pulling leafs from pack

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
i'm going to order caltracs after there are on i want to pull most of the leafs and leave the heavy haulin to the air bags , how is the ride after i know many have done it . ifthis isnt good i might have some spring packs made or run 1/2 ton springs, goal is to lower rear end ,get a softer ride , any thoughts are apriciated.

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
I wish I knew..

I've probably had the parts to do the very same thing for the better part of two years, nicely tucked away in the garage.:eek:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Ive found it to be a rough ride and I needed to leave my spring clamps on in order to not loose traction even at mid speed

bigbird

Sep 18, 2006
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
i'm going to order caltracs after there are on i want to pull most of the leafs and leave the heavy haulin to the air bags , how is the ride after i know many have done it . ifthis isnt good i might have some spring packs made or run 1/2 ton springs, goal is to lower rear end ,get a softer ride , any thoughts are apriciated.

I put on cal tracs and pulled just my overload, I am going to pull at least one more leaf. Truck hooks good, but has little to no squat on launch. Ride is a bit rougher than stock, but i figure it will get better if i pull another leaf.

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
Ive done the same as BigBird. Its alittle rough but i havnt played with it much. I usually leave the bags empty cause my rear end needs to be lowered some more. If i put 10lbs in my bags the truck looks raked like a 70 chevelle and i dont like it. I think im going to leave my spring packs alone and put 2" drop shackles on.

Rear hooks real good tho and doesnt hop attoll. Its just not low enough for me IMO.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Ive found it to be a rough ride and I needed to leave my spring clamps on in order to not loose traction even at mid speed

so you still needed the spring clamp even after the caltracs ? thats suprising on the rough ride i would think it would really soften up , who would have thought . might have consider custom springs .

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Ive done the same as BigBird. Its alittle rough but i havnt played with it much. I usually leave the bags empty cause my rear end needs to be lowered some more. If i put 10lbs in my bags the truck looks raked like a 70 chevelle and i dont like it. I think im going to leave my spring packs alone and put 2" drop shackles on.

Rear hooks real good tho and doesnt hop attoll. Its just not low enough for me IMO.
i've got 3" beltech drop shackles , dont need that much more but with the spring clamps cheap tuff country traction bars and 1 1/4 " sway bar in the rear its not horibly rough but i would like it to be much better .
pulling the overlaod would be good for the height but want a softer ride also with no wheel hop

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I wish I knew..

I've probably had the parts to do the very same thing for the better part of two years, nicely tucked away in the garage.:eek:
better get movin:D , or you could sell me the caltracs, but they are listed in your sig so i'm assuming your running them .

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
I think imine rides about the same, but it handles and hooks much better, I just have the top two springs and the overload left on each side and run the caltracs tight to the springs + 1/4 turn!

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
when i took just my overload out and put drop shackles on it i had a ton of wheel hop, but it rode alright, i think w/ traction bars it wouldn't have been that bad.

you can also just do a whole drop kit from McGaughys suspension. they make a kit that includes the spindles, hangers, shackles and i think shock brackets. that'll get you down to a 2/5 drop. any lower than that and you would need to change the trans x member.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
has anyone just pulled the overload? how did it launch? i want my truck alittle lower in the rear but i dont want it to launch like crap. i already have 3" drop shackles

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
has anyone just pulled the overload? how did it launch? i want my truck alittle lower in the rear but i dont want it to launch like crap. i already have 3" drop shackles

i think you would need traction bars or else you would probably get axel wrap.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
If you pull all the leafs but the overload, you won't have to clamp, because it will sit right on the overload.

I'm hearing from suspension experts that I'm a retard and it's dangerous. Dunno about the dangerous, but I'm certainly a retard. :D

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
when i took just my overload out and put drop shackles on it i had a ton of wheel hop, but it rode alright, i think w/ traction bars it wouldn't have been that bad.

you can also just do a whole drop kit from McGaughys suspension. they make a kit that includes the spindles, hangers, shackles and i think shock brackets. that'll get you down to a 2/5 drop. any lower than that and you would need to change the trans x member.

how does McGaughys get the 5 out back?? i can see keys gettin you 2-3 in front but i thought the farthest shackle only got you 3". is their shackles longer to get you a 5"?? really wanting to get mine 3/5, just curious how they get it that far out back. thanks