precision industries converter

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I have about a 6-7 year old Suncoast 1056 in my truck, no billet stator. It has treated me right, well over 100,000 miles of hard driving, maybe 25-30 4x4 boosted launches on it(not many I know), trans tuning requires lock-up in 2nd but I've noticed anything over 550hp it does not lock every single time anymore, it didn't lock on tune #5 until 4th or 5th gear the other night on a Wot pull, but it only does that occasionally. Great converters especially for their time, they just can't compete with what's out there now. I plan to have the trans freshened up and send it back to Suncoast to be re-built into a 1078.

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I have about a 6-7 year old Suncoast 1056 in my truck, no billet stator. It has treated me right, well over 100,000 miles of hard driving, maybe 25-30 4x4 boosted launches on it(not many I know), trans tuning requires lock-up in 2nd but I've noticed anything over 550hp it does not lock every single time anymore, it didn't lock on tune #5 until 4th or 5th gear the other night on a Wot pull, but it only does that occasionally. Great converters especially for their time, they just can't compete with what's out there now. I plan to have the trans freshened up and send it back to Suncoast to be re-built into a 1078.

I haven't dealt with any SunCoast restalls, will they restall to a 1078? I'm currious because that is a Limitless exclusive that even SunCoast doesn't sell on their website.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I do find it odd you blew through the R as I've used it in trucks from stock to right around 900-1000hp in compounds and never once had that experience in ~20-25 converters out there in that stall.

I had videos showing how awful it was. 1/3 throttle and 1400rpm slip trying to merge into traffic. It was just terrible. Talk to Evan - he agreed and has seen it on many trucks like mine. He was going to get me into a 1078 but the 1077 went in and it isn’t coming out. :) The K was odd. Ok if all you want to do is hammer on the truck I guess, but I didn’t find it to do what it promised.

Vmyrhaug

Mar 6, 2016
Norway
that one my friend is selling is new. 1700stall.
my engine is stock, upgraded head gasket, ported heads, arp head studs, light ported head, ported turbo, 3" ybridge, ported turbo horn, ish 400whp with sac 45now. are asking because i save 500 to 700 usd too buy this. are going to build trans. only road driven truck, some wot now and then. will there be best too buy a goerend ore simular? are looking for high torque transfer at low rpm. and not push thruu converter. want to keep rpm low att road. i'm pushing thru stock converter now, and engine rpm is a little too high before lockup.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
that one my friend is selling is new. 1700stall.
my engine is stock, upgraded head gasket, ported heads, arp head studs, light ported head, ported turbo, 3" ybridge, ported turbo horn, ish 400whp with sac 45now. are asking because i save 500 to 700 usd too buy this. are going to build trans. only road driven truck, some wot now and then. will there be best too buy a goerend ore simular? are looking for high torque transfer at low rpm. and not push thruu converter. want to keep rpm low att road. i'm pushing thru stock converter now, and engine rpm is a little too high before lockup.
Does he know what stator/pump assembly is in it? The negative pump style from Precision couples decently well compared to some of their other stuff.

If you've got the mods you say you do, a converter isn't going to save the possibly already compromised transmission. You should start thinking about saving for a built trans.

Reactions: Vmyrhaug

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I haven't dealt with any SunCoast restalls, will they restall to a 1078? I'm currious because that is a Limitless exclusive that even SunCoast doesn't sell on their website.
I talked to them maybe 4-6 months ago and they said they could.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
I had videos showing how awful it was. 1/3 throttle and 1400rpm slip trying to merge into traffic. It was just terrible. Talk to Evan - he agreed and has seen it on many trucks like mine. He was going to get me into a 1078 but the 1077 went in and it isn’t coming out. :) The K was odd. Ok if all you want to do is hammer on the truck I guess, but I didn’t find it to do what it promised.
Maybe your truck isn't putting out enough power to put that little R into coupling mode 🤣

• Love
Reactions: N2BRK

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Wally and i went back and forth on his issue when it was happening. it was strange for sure as ive not seen the R do what his was. Evan did say hes seem them do that though. maybe a bad run of them or something? no idea.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Haha. Probably!

James - even George said he’s seen LMM trucks do odd things with a converter, he pulls the converter and sticks it in an lb7 and it acts fine. Who knows. I tried tuning, trans rebuild, new Tcm - nothing changed what was happening. Then I went into hyper search mode and actually read just a couple posts about others having similar issues, so I decided the 1077 is my best compromise and I’m happy enough. I’m sick AF about dealing with converters on my truck. :)

Vmyrhaug

Mar 6, 2016
Norway
Does he know what stator/pump assembly is in it? The negative pump style from Precision couples decently well compared to some of their other stuff.

If you've got the mods you say you do, a converter isn't going to save the possibly already compromised transmission. You should start thinking about saving for a built trans.
transmission is going too be build, was thinking if this converter i worth the money, or just grab a limitless or goerend in first place..

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
I had to replace the "R" in my MikeL 6spd that was installed in 2019. It started locking/unlocking in tow-haul when pulling up a grade and trans temps towing were 200°+. The replacement "R" has been flawless ever since and trans temps are back down to 170°-185° when towing our 11k# TT...

Reactions: Vmyrhaug

TOMAN

Jul 19, 2008
7 trucks with Precision in my area have all failed under 15,000 mile and they will not do a damn thing to help ,BS must be made in chine ,what gose around comes around, just got a call from a frend his just shit after 8000 miles WOW no help

TOMAN

Jul 19, 2008
Have 9 Goerend in truck and all is good so far see below, replaced all the NonPrecision with

Goerend HD Billet Stator Triple Disc Allison Torque Converter 2001-2016 and all is good​