PPE On Stock Trans

Murphdog

Sep 19, 2006
After a little discussing I found the EFI Live may not be for me, so I am thinking about the PPE. I have read that my LB7's stock Allison may have problems and that you need to upgrade the trans. I have heard a lot about the Trans Go Jr., what exactly are the bennifets if any to this upgrade an will it help keep my trans alive longer. To let everyone know I am looking for some good performance something similar to the Edges without the problems that I have heard associated with it. Thanks Shawn

Murphdog

Sep 19, 2006
I plan on running on the lowest or one up from that all the time and when I am not towing and only ocasionaly on the highest. What kit do you think I should do Mike.
Thanks Shawn

Sean8816

Aug 8, 2006
To put in a transgo kit you have to drop the tranny....in my opinion you might as well go the whole nine yards while you've got it apart. Get the clutches and converter, you won't be disappointed. I love my suncoast 4, and Mike L has unrivaled customer support...give him a call.

Murphdog

Sep 19, 2006
What type of money are we looking at to do that type of tranny upgrade. I ahve the facilities to do it myself and have a loty of friends familiar with trannys, so I think I can do it myself.

Sean8816

Aug 8, 2006
My suncoast 4 with the 1057 McRat torque converter and transfer case brace was around 3300 to my door. Worth every penny...and definitely get that converter, well worth the extra 200bucks.

Murphdog

Sep 19, 2006
Well I should do this right the first time so I should get the trans upgrade and do it right. First what stage would yall recomend and since I am going with the trans I gues i could also run EFI Live or the PPE with no problems, Right? If my trans will hold what else do I need to do to the motor to handle the programing. Damn I feel like a little kid asking all these questions, but I guess it is better to ask than learn the hard way.

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
Well I should do this right the first time so I should get the trans upgrade and do it right. First what stage would yall recomend and since I am going with the trans I gues i could also run EFI Live or the PPE with no problems, Right? If my trans will hold what else do I need to do to the motor to handle the programing. Damn I feel like a little kid asking all these questions, but I guess it is better to ask than learn the hard way.
Heres' my short list in no particular order.

-Go with the stage 4 and converter
-Good intake
-4" min exhaust
-efi live
-Gauges
-Lift pump(s)
-Tie rod's if your going to the track
-TC brace
-Wastegate (Big Head ?)
-Clean fuel filter (always, buy'em by the case)

With these mods your ready for some fun. The engine itself is a very tough unit. imo keep boost under 35 psi and egt's under 1,300 and you should have no problems. The Durmax disease in a terrible affliction. There are many people here that feel your pain.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Heres' my short list in no particular order.

-Go with the stage 4 and converter
-Good intake
-4" min exhaust
-efi live
-Gauges
-Lift pump(s)
-Tie rod's if your going to the track
-TC brace
-Wastegate (Big Head ?)
-Clean fuel filter (always, buy'em by the case)

With these mods your ready for some fun. The engine itself is a very tough unit. imo keep boost under 35 psi and egt's under 1,300 and you should have no problems. The Durmax disease in a terrible affliction. There are many people here that feel your pain.

:yup: i have the disease and a couple more cheap mods
add a blocker plate &
fuel rail shim

Murphdog

Sep 19, 2006
I also had no idea you could shim the LB7, anyone have a link where I can find info on this. And thanks for all the help guys I am very excited now, I know what in the Hell is going on, well Kinda.

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
I talked to PPE today and they told me that the LB7 just requires a washer to preload the spring (no special shim). Just a washer the same diameter as the spring. I'll see what it look's like when I get it apart. The theory is that if you stack washers you can virtually eliminate the PRV from working all together. Anyone have a theory on this?

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
Dan @ PPE shipped out my shim kit yesterday, got it today...The instructions say to use the 2 flat washers to shim the FPRV...It also comes with a large nut to separate the valve once it's removed from the fuel rail...PPE did my LLY, I'll do the LB7 next week...

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
Dan @ PPE shipped out my shim kit yesterday, got it today...The instructions say to use the 2 flat washers to shim the FPRV...It also comes with a large nut to separate the valve once it's removed from the fuel rail...PPE did my LLY, I'll do the LB7 next week...
Did Dan ship out a kit for the LB7? I really need to know what thickness washer to use. Anyone have info on how to install it?