Info: Powerstop, EBC, or stock brakes?

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Its time for new brakes and trying to figure out my best option. I have been looking back threw the old threads and the information is pretty fragmented/generalized. The truck will be used for towing and do some racing, so I don't want to buy something that doesn't end up working better than factory overall. As far as powerstop, I am not sure about drill rotors in this application and if they would crack or not. I have been looking at the EBC stuff, but from the pricing I have seen it expensive. What setups are people recommending? If you can, please post part number.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
If you want the best ebc yellow, they will not last long at all. Hawk super duty seem to last decent but do not have anywhere near the initial bite as the ebc yellows. Do not get a drilled rotor. SSBC rotors seem to hold up, I haven’t tried any others on my truck.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
EBC Orange "Extra Duty" truck pads and GD dimpled/slotted rotors are top notch before you talk about big brake kits. If that is more than you're wanting to spend another decent option are the ACDelco style wave slotted rotors and a good set of pads.

https://www.shopebcbrakes.com/EBC-Stage-8-Super-Truck-Kit/p99687?sku=

If you want the best ebc yellow, they will not last long at all. Hawk super duty seem to last decent but do not have anywhere near the initial bite as the ebc yellows. Do not get a drilled rotor. SSBC rotors seem to hold up, I haven’t tried any others on my truck.

When I contacted EBC not that long ago (late fall) they recommended the Orange "Extra Duty" for our heavy trucks as they bite like yellows but wear longer and resist fade better.

https://ebcbrakes.com/product/extra-duty-light-truck-jeep-and-suv-brake-pads/

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
EBC Orange "Extra Duty" truck pads and GD dimpled/slotted rotors are top notch before you talk about big brake kits. If that is more than you're wanting to spend another decent option are the ACDelco style wave slotted rotors and a good set of pads.

https://www.shopebcbrakes.com/EBC-Stage-8-Super-Truck-Kit/p99687?sku=

When I contacted EBC not that long ago (late fall) they recommended the Orange "Extra Duty" for our heavy trucks as they bite like yellows but wear longer and resist fade better.

https://ebcbrakes.com/product/extra-duty-light-truck-jeep-and-suv-brake-pads/

Good to know. I’m about due for pads when my truck is actually running again. I’ll do a comparison on them.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Good to know. I’m about due for pads when my truck is actually running again. I’ll do a comparison on them.

EBC sent me them to test, sadly the truck hasn't been running since they were received as well as it being winter. Based on the tech data between the extreme duty orange and the yellow stuff (using their little diagram) the extreme duty orange is definitely a better pad. Only downside they have (on their diagram) is they may be noisier.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
So, for the front brakes part number of the EBC BRAKES Orange Stuff And Gd Rotors is- S8KF1022.
Does anyone know what offset is the rear rotors are?
EBC Extra duty Front pads-ED91305
EBC Extra duty Rear pads-ED91304

Part number- K2073-36 for the Powerstop Z36 Truck & Tow Front and Rear Brake Kit .

ACDelco wave style rotor Part number 18A1206SD for the front rotors, Part number-18A926SD for the rear rotors (not sure if its the right rotor hat high)

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
So, for the front brakes part number of the EBC BRAKES Orange Stuff And Gd Rotors is- S8KF1022.

Part number- K2073-36 for the Powerstop Z36 Truck & Tow Front and Rear Brake Kit .

ACDelco wave style rotor Part number 18A1206SD for the front rotors, Part number-18A926SD for the rear rotors (not sure if its the right rotor hat high)

AAM 11.5 has the 4.8" hub hole and 92mm hat height.

Front EBC kit: S8KF1022
Rear EBC kit: S8KR1010

The EBC will be your best performing combination, just depends if you want to spend the coin. With that said I definitely did keep my old pads/rotors for the rear in case I go to a dyno event so I don't smoke a $600 set of pads/rotors in the event it doesn't light.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course

Didn’t you upgrade to a larger GM rotor? Someone did on here. That’s what I was going to do when it’s time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
EBC Orange "Extra Duty" truck pads and GD dimpled/slotted rotors are top notch before you talk about big brake kits. [/url]

This is what I run on the front and it works great. I had yellow pad and absolutely hated them, being 8k lbs they got brake fade real quick. The first stop was great, but after that it was dangerous.

I still have the yellows on the rear, but will be switching to orange once they are worn out.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
This is what I run on the front and it works great. I had yellow pad and absolutely hated them, being 8k lbs they got brake fade real quick. The first stop was great, but after that it was dangerous.

I still have the yellows on the rear, but will be switching to orange once they are worn out.

They've done me well, granted I don't have a ton of usage on them as I only put them on my daily to bed them in so when the built truck comes out to play I'm not worried about the brakes being up to par.

Jacy_dzlguy

lots to learn...
Aug 27, 2011
South Florida

:thumb:

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal

Uh what :confused: yellow pads don’t fade

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa

Well I found part numbers for Raybestos rotors that look like the ACDelco ones above, but way cheaper. Only issue is, I can only fine the rear rotors with a 86.68mm or 90mm hat hight

RAYBESTOS 580000PER-Front Rotor
RAYBESTOS 56828PER- rear rotors

Edit, I ordered the Raybestos set rotors from rock auto and will see how the work and fit. I still need to figure out what pads to order, I am not sure I can stomach paying more for the pads than the rotors.

Last edited:

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
Uh what :confused: yellow pads don’t fade

I've run yellow on almost every car I've owned and they are great pads. I will continue to run them on anything under 5k lbs, but can't say they work well on these trucks. I put them on my LML with EBC sport rotors and got major fade after one hard application from 90-20. They also didn't last for crap on the front and make a mess, but the mess is common for yellows.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I've run yellow on almost every car I've owned and they are great pads. I will continue to run them on anything under 5k lbs, but can't say they work well on these trucks. I put them on my LML with EBC sport rotors and got major fade after one hard application from 90-20. They also didn't last for crap on the front and make a mess, but the mess is common for yellows.

I wonder if I got something different because I can go 150-50 multiple times

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
I wonder if I got something different because I can go 150-50 multiple times

That’s how they usually are. Who knows I guess maybe I got a bad set or it was boiling the fluid. The orange heavy duty ones I can’t get to fade at all, and I flush fluid every pad change. But they sure don’t have the initial bite of yellows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk