Info: Powerstop, EBC, or stock brakes?

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Just to keep this updated, I ended up going with Power Stop pads, Front pads Part number-Z36-784 and rear pads part number-Z36-785. Hopefully they work good and I am not wasting money when I should have just gotten the EBC extra duty pads.
Also, Thoughts on Cryo treating the Rotors??? I had a friend suggest it, just not sure if its overkill.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Just to keep this updated, I ended up going with Power Stop pads, Front pads Part number-Z36-784 and rear pads part number-Z36-785. Hopefully they work good and I am not wasting money when I should have just gotten the EBC extra duty pads.
Also, Thoughts on Cryo treating the Rotors??? I had a friend suggest it, just not sure if its overkill.

I don't think you need to go that far, the rotor warpage isn't from a material defect or strength issue as it is purely a heat load problem.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal

Doesn’t seem to help. From what I’ve seen.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area

These are the pads I have currently. Approx 10k on them. They have a good bite and I don’t get any fade. I don’t really do much towing for a comment on that aspect. But seem like a decent pad for the price

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I’ve been looking at the Powerstop k5561-36 front and rear kit for my 2011, it currently has 117K with the original brakes in it. Looking for a little bit of a upgrade. The last year you really got to put a lot of input into pedal to get it to stop fast. $600 for front and rear rotors and pads doesn’t seem to bad. Anyone used this kit?

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
NAPA severe duty pads and rotors never let me down, even from 115mph (or more).

they are fleet pads now. not really cheap but dam good pads from the trucks ive used them on.

hard to beat the gmt-800 trucks with disc that seem to regularly hit 150-200k miles stock.

i have 120k on my truck and well over half pad remaining.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I’ve been looking at the Powerstop k5561-36 front and rear kit for my 2011, it currently has 117K with the original brakes in it. Looking for a little bit of a upgrade. The last year you really got to put a lot of input into pedal to get it to stop fast. $600 for front and rear rotors and pads doesn’t seem to bad. Anyone used this kit?
Pins are probably froze in the calipers, particularly the rears

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
I'm in this boat now looking for pads and rotors. I was thinking about the SSBC front rotor upgrade, but I found that SSBC is no longer in business. I have been looking and keep coming back to the Powerstop Z36 kit.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I'm in this boat now looking for pads and rotors. I was thinking about the SSBC front rotor upgrade, but I found that SSBC is no longer in business. I have been looking and keep coming back to the Powerstop Z36 kit.

The Z36 kit gives one heck of a "bang for the buck". The only thing that gives me reservations is our heavy trucks with drilled rotors. I've seen them crack near the holes in the past on the trucks I've serviced with them but they also had quite a few miles on the rotors driving them like a Corvette and or towing heavily. EBC is a big bill to swallow but doesn't pose that problem as they are dimpled as opposed to cross-drilled and I personally think their pads offer significantly more bite (my opinion).

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa

I agree with Brad on not using drilled rotors if you do any sort of towing or heavy braking. That's why I ended up going with the Raybesto/ACDELCO wave slotted rotors, but for the price I am willing to give powerstops pads a go.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
No issues with the z36 drilled and slotted rotors on the 05’ yet. Keep hearing about all these cracking issues. I don’t tow with this truck but have mashed the shit out of them at 120:thumb:

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
I dont tow as much these days and I dont put near the miles on it either. I dont want to jeopardize my towing ability either. In the last year, I've put new braided brake lines, LML hydroboost, and flushed both brake and the power steering fluids. All that revealed it's now time to do pads and rotors at 230k, which isn't bad for original pads and rotors.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I have 3 seasons now on my Napa fleet rotors and pads. Well over 400 passes. Have not skipped a beat. Only down fall is rotors are heavier then normal and lots of brake dust. I've tried many different combos in the past. These put them to shame. But you MUST use the combo. Not just the pads.

hntngkd

Jun 24, 2013
Attica, Mi
Im using brakeperformance.com dimpled and slotted rotors with EBC yellow stuff pads at 8000+lbs. Also still tow pretty heavy with the truck on a regular basis when its warm out. haven't had a single issue with the pads or rotors yet, Ill check the pad life this spring when I put the truck back on the road for the year.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Have been having problems with my brakes on my 11’ 2500hd. Seems like it takes a lot of effort to stop fast. I purchased the truck new and it has 119k on orig. brakes. I do tow heavy pretty often with it. As Ike said above, these trucks have lots of problems with the caliper slider bolts seizing up in the caliper. I had to replace 3 calipers because of this. It was the lower slider bolt on each one. I also decided to try the Powerstop Z36 front and rear kit that comes with rotors and pads. It was pretty close to the same price as buying quality stuff from Napa. I will review after I get some miles on them.

1F8729D4-7F51-49F7-A18A-A290C3BE16C5.jpg

Attachments

• 1F8729D4-7F51-49F7-A18A-A290C3BE16C5.jpg
    1F8729D4-7F51-49F7-A18A-A290C3BE16C5.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 88

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
figured I would give a update on the Powerstop Z36 brake kit I put on my 2011 2500HD. I’ve put approximately 3k miles on them. I have pulled our 35’ fifth wheel camper a couple of times and my built 03’ 2500hd on a 22’ equipment trailer. I am very happy with them, they definitely give more stopping power than factory and have no noticed any noise or brake dust. I will try and update when I get around 10k miles on them.

Reactions: 1TRIKHD