LB7: Power wash baaad

briencolgan

brien colgan
Jan 26, 2017
Ithaca, NY
I read somewhere on the forums some spirited debating about the pros and cons of power washing. Well I power washed my truck two weeks ago or so. The truck quit almost immediately. I knew it was FICM that got wet.

After lots of heat gun business, I finally got it started. It ran for another week then just quit on the side of the road, it was completely dry out. After lots of troubleshooting I confirmed it was a bad ficm.

Upon opening the case of the unit, I saw a lot of corrosion on what look like MOSFETs. That fifth mosfet from the left was covered in battery like corrosion. I took a picture after I started cleaning but it was much worse than this. Anyway overnighted a new unit plugged in and it fired right up. Think I'm just going to stick with the dirty greasy engine for a while.

957983b727240dba8e3597534ef560be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
That sucks...
I use the wheel degreaser setting at the wash then hose it down with spot free rinse
You have me scared to even do that now

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I pressure washed my LB7 several times without any issues. Just stay away from those big ticket electrical items

briencolgan

brien colgan
Jan 26, 2017
Ithaca, NY
Well it was a day off work and $300 to advance auto. They next dayed it to me. Easy fix. But yeah. Gonna live with the grease.

It might have turned out better if I had replaced the little rubber plug that fell out of the FICM. It was on my todo list but AutoZone had no idea and I sort of lost track of it. If your missing the plug at least put a little foil tape over it. It may save a ton of headache.

Just for more fun, I'm way out of town. And purchased the AAA premier tow package (200 miles free tow) just as a good hedge.

Well turns out AAA is happy to take the money but they left me on the side of the road to pay my own tow. Turns out different chapters have their own rules about what they will and won't tow. That trucks been towed a dozen times in nys. Mass AAA wouldn't do it.

They said they might reimburse. They'd consider it. Lol.

Funny none of that was mentioned as they were running my cc for $120.

briencolgan

brien colgan
Jan 26, 2017
Ithaca, NY
Just to further clarify. I knew where all the computers were and was very careful not to spray them. It was overspray. Indirect water was enough to fry it.

gassux

Mar 14, 2010
This is the northeast, you're kind've forced to do it if you want to keep a car for more than 10yrs. I would take a 300.00 'puter over the rust remediation I'm constantly chasing on my truck every time i wash it. I should've been power washing this rig years ago

WVRIGRAT power washes his truck alot and swears by it...

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I've power washed all of my vehicles engines and never had an issue. I don't even cover sensitive electronics.

briencolgan

brien colgan
Jan 26, 2017
Ithaca, NY
When I pulled the cover off the FICM, I did see that the unit is very well sealed with some sort of mastic that always stays wet. So it's kind a hard to imagine water getting in between the cover and the unit. I'm kind of thinking it was that little quarter inch hole that needed to be plugged. Still am never going to get that engine wet again though. It cost me two days of work and a $400 part

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Just power washed my engine 2 days ago after work, have been for the last 13 years. Let the FICM have it too... Never had any issues with power washing. I don't typically let the electronics have a direct shot but sh*t happens.

I'm guessing you had other issues that caused it to short out like a bad connection or that missing plug...