LB7: power steering and brake issues

Stewart Leask

Nov 15, 2009
Ok I'm sorry this is going to seem like a novel, I usually search these forums until I eventually figure out my problem but this one has me stumped big time.

about 6-8 months ago my hydraulic brake booster went out, I figured this to be caused by a neglected powersteering leak so I replaced the booster and monitered my powersteering fluid really well afterwards (it gets real hard to find the leaking line when its all sort of covered).

3 days ago my water pump goes out, right before I'm about to make a tow out to california, GREAT. So I decide I'm going to fix and replace all that I can...do the typical fuel filter/oil change, change the water pump, changed the thermostats while I was in there, hot-soaped the surge tank cap, and then figured while I was down there I'd get the powersteering lines fixed, do something nice for the truck for once. I took the lines to a local shop called Hose Fast and had new rubber line crimped to the existing hardlines on all 3 powersteering related lines and replaced all 5 o-rings. detailed the engine bay really nicely so that I could detect leaks and got everything done and installed and put in fluids.

I went to start the truck and immediately I notice that I have no steering (i kind of suspected this, figured pump had to fill the system up and immediately went low) so I shut the truck off within about 10-15 seconds and went to refill. The pump hadn't gone down hardly any. So once again I decided I'll do something nice for the truck and bleed the system via the DIY hydro-flush thread until my fluid is clear. This took awhile to work, my steering was real tight and really tough for first few rotations then got easier and easier. Took us about 2 qt's of powersteering fluid but we finally got it feeling soft and my brake pressure was back up from 500psi max to 1300psi max. We decided to go for a test drive and the first time I hit the brakes the problem arose again, my steering and brakes were gone. I turned around and went home and figured the pump had finally bit the bullet so we picked one up at autozone. Swapped the pulley onto new pump and reinstalled everything again with no luck. I figured maybe there's an off chance the lines had a clog maybe the line shop didn't clean them or there was a mishap so i blew compressed air through each one, they all flowed perfectly. Put the system back together after doing that and still nothing.

SYMPTOMS:
-at idle in my driveway if i press the brakes or try and turn the steering wheel my powersteering pump howls very very loudly as if it has no fluid
-my powersteering fluid is foaming within less than 30 seconds of starting the truck
-my brake pressure is maxing out at 500psi (usual is 1300psi)via the reading off my Brake Smart and my powersteering pump howls when i'm testing brake pressure
-if the truck is idling and i press the brakes my steering wheel kicks to the right for whatever reason

I have no idea what to do, I'm at a complete loss. Having now replaced my powersteering pump, my high pressure lines, and my hydraulic brake booster within the last 8 months I don't know what could have failed. There's NO fluid seeping from the hydraulic booster and last time that failed my brake pressure maxed out at like 200psi, wouldn't even stop the truck. YES all the lines are hooked up correctly and are all on very tight.

Can a steering box create this issue? Is this something really small that I'm just overlooking?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!! I have an event I must tow my car to and I've got to be gone Wednesday morning or I'll end up missing it. Thank you in advance!

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
You have air in system. keep turning wheel lock to lock. Depending on vehicle it can take a bit. and let it keep idling.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You have air in system. keep turning wheel lock to lock. Depending on vehicle it can take a bit. and let it keep idling.
This is what it sounds like to me too. I would recommend you jack up the front of the truck and turn the wheel lock to lock until it clears up the fluid in the reservoir.

Glover

Sep 20, 2009
I've seen this done before. You may have switched or confused the power steering lines.

Stewart Leask

Nov 15, 2009
thats what i had thought all along but this problem ended up being that the new powersteering pump was bad from the get-go. new pumped fixed it right up, good as new :)