Positive Air Shutoff Valve

Delta.Speed

Mar 26, 2022
Hello all. Does anyone know of any mechanical positive air shut off valves available?

Im looking to add a layer of security should I ever run into a runaway condition. Ive searched online but all I've found are electronic shut off valves, and I'm looking for a mechanical one. Im thinking a cable operated one with a handle in the cab, or something simple in the engine bay with a handle right on the valve.

Not only are the electronic ones pricey, but I wouldn't want to depend on an electrical part that I never use and that's sat for years if a runaway ever happens.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
There are loads of mechanical "guillotine" or "air knife" type devices that are cheap/simple and have been used in the sled pulling world for decades. Their downfall is they're placed pre-turbocharger on the air inlet side and will serve zero help should the turbocharger cover or charge piping become compromised.

I am guessing this is a high HP application? On a daily driver vehicle I think you're not going to come into a situation where you'll need it as typically those vehicles don't push turbochargers as far into the "danger zone" as a competition vehicle.

PacBrake does make a mechanical positive air shutoff in their PS1 line but they only go to 2.5" max size, all of their larger stuff is electronic. All of the OEMs have been using electronic now for well over a decade, I personally wouldn't be worried about an electronic PAS as long as you test it regularly (IE in pulling we test them before every pass).

Delta.Speed

Mar 26, 2022
There are loads of mechanical "guillotine" or "air knife" type devices that are cheap/simple and have been used in the sled pulling world for decades. Their downfall is they're placed pre-turbocharger on the air inlet side and will serve zero help should the turbocharger cover or charge piping become compromised.

I am guessing this is a high HP application? On a daily driver vehicle I think you're not going to come into a situation where you'll need it as typically those vehicles don't push turbochargers as far into the "danger zone" as a competition vehicle.

PacBrake does make a mechanical positive air shutoff in their PS1 line but they only go to 2.5" max size, all of their larger stuff is electronic. All of the OEMs have been using electronic now for well over a decade, I personally wouldn't be worried about an electronic PAS as long as you test it regularly (IE in pulling we test them before every pass).
Thank you for the info on the PacBrake PH1. I had found PacBrake stuff but had not found the mechanical ones from them. I think that's exactly what I am looking for.

And no, this is not for a high HP application. This is for a very mild near stock truck that wont see race or competition use. Which is why I think that a mechanical one on the air inlet side will be enough for me.

I had a buddy a few years back that had a turbo seal fail on his Powerstroke while towing a fifth wheel with his family on board the truck. He ended up having to throw the truck into neutral and just stand by and watch the engine blow up because he had no way to shut it off.

I'm just interested in adding a layer of security in case something like that happens to me.

Thanks again for the info.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thank you for the info on the PacBrake PH1. I had found PacBrake stuff but had not found the mechanical ones from them. I think that's exactly what I am looking for.

And no, this is not for a high HP application. This is for a very mild near stock truck that wont see race or competition use. Which is why I think that a mechanical one on the air inlet side will be enough for me.

I had a buddy a few years back that had a turbo seal fail on his Powerstroke while towing a fifth wheel with his family on board the truck. He ended up having to throw the truck into neutral and just stand by and watch the engine blow up because he had no way go shut it off.

I'm just interested in adding a layer of security in case something like that happens to me.

Thanks again for the info.

If you're fine with one on the air induction/suction side just look for a simple 4" air knife guillotine.

Google Link

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX

If you can find a spring loaded one, that may be a better option.