Piston hole symptoms??/

seth999

Wheeewwwww!!!
Jul 1, 2009
Corbin,KY
I was wondering what the symptoms for having a cracked/holed piston are and if there are any tell tell signs :eek:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Oil filler cap and dipstick blown off/out. Take the cap off and start the engine, if you get covered in oil....:D Really, you will have a ton of blow-by.

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
Very rough idle.
Massive blowby.
Injector balance rate maxed out.
Nasty oil.
Down on power.

seth999

Wheeewwwww!!!
Jul 1, 2009
Corbin,KY
thx I think ill use an umbrella:D ...checked and the dipstick isnt popped out so its lookin good that way...I'm thinking I might have ate a turbo...the truck starts and runs/drives but it keeps going into limp mode and making a noise(constant except idle) almost sounds like somthing in the valves :eek: ...plus the turbo isnt lighting its getting some juice from it but she not even spoolin really

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
thx I think ill use an umbrella:D ...checked and the dipstick isnt popped out so its lookin good that way...I'm thinking I might have ate a turbo...the truck starts and runs/drives but it keeps going into limp mode and making a noise(constant except idle) almost sounds like somthing in the valves :eek: ...plus the turbo isnt lighting its getting some juice from it but she not even spoolin really
Got any codes? Limp mode is a fuel limit option. No fuel, low to no boost. Just a thought.

But the noise :eek:

seth999

Wheeewwwww!!!
Jul 1, 2009
Corbin,KY
thats what gets me it idles without any noise or anything...going to pull codes in just a sec...^true its mostly the new sound that gets me

Last edited:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Send a bore scope in if you need to, if you can see clear threw your piston there is a good chance that it has a hole in it.

Seriously I hope you don't have one man, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

seth999

Wheeewwwww!!!
Jul 1, 2009
Corbin,KY
well the dip stick hasnt blown out when i turned it off there was no pressure in the crankcase havent tried it running prolly should lol...but the only code (besides EGR which is gone) is P0299 for underboost...when you start it clear the codes and rev it up the noise is gone but still no turbo spool then when you put it under load it makes noise and limps/codes...by the sound and looks of thing I'm prolly gonna have to dig into the turbo...I'm pretty well convinced the engine is ok though since at 2500rpm revs in park theres no noise or major blow by

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
well the dip stick hasnt blown out when i turned it off there was no pressure in the crankcase havent tried it running prolly should lol...but the only code (besides EGR which is gone) is P0299 for underboost...when you start it clear the codes and rev it up the noise is gone but still no turbo spool then when you put it under load it makes noise and limps/codes...by the sound and looks of thing I'm prolly gonna have to dig into the turbo...I'm pretty well convinced the engine is ok though since at 2500rpm revs in park theres no noise or major blow by

Why not pull the cap real quick while its running just to see

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa

If you had a hole in the piston and drove it there would be noticable smoke and it wont be black lol. Have you logged your vane position yet? Take the mouth piece off and look at the compressor wheel.

seth999

Wheeewwwww!!!
Jul 1, 2009
Corbin,KY
nope not yet im gonna check out the turbo indepth tomorrow...theres no blowby from the crankcase checked it:)

seth999

Wheeewwwww!!!
Jul 1, 2009
Corbin,KY
yeah very true it was a relief...I'm going to pull the DP and MP and check the wheels, bearings, vane positions etc.