Pinion yoke, advice?

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Gonna replace my pinion yoke this week, U joint is sliding around in there. Anything else you'd replace in the rear diff while replacing the yoke? Going to do the slip yoke and new joints as well but wasnt sure on the rear diff

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
mark the nut to the pinion end where it is now, when you retighten it back down, line the marks up or just a hair past. need to keep that crush sleeve on the pinion loaded down correctly.

ideally since you are changing the yoke, you should be pulling the ring gear and checking pinion resistance as you tighten the nut down to make sure the crush sleeve is still work or that if the yokes are a little longer or shorter (doesnt take much) that you dont over tighen or under tighten the nut.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
roger that, thanks boys.

Ordered both yokes, the pinion from XDP as a kit with seal etc.

I was going to hold off on the ring gear since I plan on a truetrac sometime this year. I figure once I have it apart i'll know if I need more parts this second or if it can wait until the new diff goes in. never done a yoke in these trucks but glad it seems as easy as i thought :).

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
roger that, thanks boys.

Ordered both yokes, the pinion from XDP as a kit with seal etc.

I was going to hold off on the ring gear since I plan on a truetrac sometime this year. I figure once I have it apart i'll know if I need more parts this second or if it can wait until the new diff goes in. never done a yoke in these trucks but glad it seems as easy as i thought :).

So are you swapping both the ring and pinion when you change the carrier? I'm confused why you bought a pinion.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Re using what I can for now. I hoped for a one and done rebuild this year but the yoke gave up on me too soon. Figure I'll get the driveline in order then hit the diff hopefully before the new year

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Re using what I can for now. I hoped for a one and done rebuild this year but the yoke gave up on me too soon. Figure I'll get the driveline in order then hit the diff hopefully before the new year

a good weld tack and new straps probably would have let ya hold off till next year.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I grabbed some straps yesterday but still sloppy. Didn't even consider a tack but good info for future thanks

no prob. wheelers/rock crawler guys do this all the time. other issue is the little tab that keeps the cap from wiggling out will shoot off from pressure some times when the joint is at an extreme angle so the tack helps keep it in place. they also make half moon style yokes so its like a half circlip holding the cap from shooting out.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
It doesn't hurt to put some rtv on the splines of the yoke before installing it. Don't know if these have the rubber washer for the yoke or not, but I've seen some yokes leak around the splines where the yoke slides over the pinion, and then it comes out around the pinion nut.

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Make sure you put the rtv in pinion yoke and not on the pinion shaft. If you put it on the shaft when you slide the yoke on, it will push the rtv in the housing/bearing.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
roger that...

what do you all like for overhaul kits? im thinking i might as well just get it all done at once except the ring/pinion and carrier so long as the locker is functioning properly. was gonna look at timken or gm

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
roger that...

what do you all like for overhaul kits? im thinking i might as well just get it all done at once except the ring/pinion and carrier so long as the locker is functioning properly. was gonna look at timken or gm

i wouldnt dick with it till you do the carrier/ring/pinion. you may damage the pinion bearing taking it off the old pinion to put it on the new pinion (there isnt much room to grab it and press it off). its not as likely to happen on the carrier side but it can. if its not giving you issues, dont mess with it yet.