Pinion Angles

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
I have heard drag racers have played with pinion angle to affect launches and I know pinion angles and driveshaft/u-joint angles affect HP transfer (verified on a chassis dyno), and am wondering if anyone has messed with it for drag, racing, pulling, dyno runs, handling, etc.

I know we are limited to how much we can change pinion angle as our t-case is fixed and any changes outside a specific window will cause vibration on the street, but wondered if during competition anyone tried it?

I got into a little debate about traction bars on DP and it seems there are some who feel that it's long bars or no bars, but in using Cal-Tracs I have found I can manipulate pinion angle and it does affect how my truck hooks.

Another puller ditched the long bars and went with Cal-Tracs and found the same thing as I did. It was to the point where he did not hook hard enough with the long bars and when he went to the Cal-Tracs, actually hooked harder and bent the hitch and took out suspension components. He ended up modifying the Cal-Tracs a little has it was causing issues, but without a doubt they definitely helped plant the truck more and he kept them vs. going back to long bars.

Another puller has actually shimed his pinion using angled shims along with long bars and noticed the truck hooks harder but has a vibration on the street (one of the reasons I prefer the adjustability of the Cal-Tracs)

Anyone else experiment with this under any circumstances?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
im going to run long bars that are adjustable.. next season with my truck pulling 2wd

might even invest in a cam to watch the suspension inthe rear to see what is moving and not.

mabey even some del-alum bushing or something hard in the front spring eye to keep movement ot a min with minumal binding

pending how u set up the long bars vs cal tracs pend on how hard you hook woudl be my gues

cal trac deffanint ly has a close IC vs tradtional long bars run parrell with the leaf springs to at worse put the IC behind the rear tires. :eek: