Pilot Barring

the4wheeler

--->(Something Funny)<---
May 4, 2008
Ventura County SoCal
should be giting my clutch in in the next fiew days

do i need to pick up a new pilot barring or does the south bennd DD-MAX FB
come with one or just use the old one out the factory wheel?

wheres a cheep place to find the slave cylender/throwout barring ?

tysmith

ZF-6
Aug 29, 2008
should be giting my clutch in in the next fiew days

do i need to pick up a new pilot barring or does the south bennd DD-MAX FB
come with one or just use the old one out the factory wheel?

wheres a cheep place to find the slave cylender/throwout barring ?

Comes new in flywheel.

I've always gotten my slave at the dealer. I think it runs around $150-180ish.

South Bend Clutch is the best!!! Best customer service I've ever experienced.

tysmith

ZF-6
Aug 29, 2008
I'll see if I can find the part # for the slave. Might as well put another one in while I'm back in there... Just got my Dual disc back today, can't wait to hold power again...

the4wheeler

May 4, 2008
Ventura County SoCal
i have been weighting for the last year to git it done cant weight to unleash the furry for the first time that is locked away in the dmax:D

i know how the alli guys feel when they git there stuff upgraded to put power down.

Last edited:

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Ive never changed my slave or master cyl, Im on SBC dual disk #2 @ 50k, IMO you could put a new one in and have it go bad just the same as the one you have go bad, ill take my chances with the one in the truck that i know allready works!!

Have fun with the new clutch your gonna love it!!

tysmith

ZF-6
Aug 29, 2008
Ive never changed my slave or master cyl, Im on SBC dual disk #2 @ 50k, IMO you could put a new one in and have it go bad just the same as the one you have go bad, ill take my chances with the one in the truck that i know allready works!!

Have fun with the new clutch your gonna love it!!

I think that is part of the problem with my single feramic... Hanging slave... Just getting sick of pulling the trans out, so while I have the engine out doing gaskets and head studs, might as well throw some more $$$ at it and (maybe) avoid going back in for awhile...

Besides, my Dual disk is all fresh and new...

Last edited:

05_LLY

Out-A-Time
Aug 7, 2006
Norvelt, PA
Ihear ya if your having trouble id change it no doubt!

One thing ive done since the truck was new is change the fluid in the master cyl resivior every engine oil change. DOse it help, i dont know? but when clear fluid turns black something is in it and i just change it for peice of mind, It dosent cahnge all the fluid in the whole system but it changes the majority of it!!

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
I've got 195K on the origonal slave in my 01. Still works fine. SBC #1 went in at 97K and SBC #2 went in at 192K. Slave in my 03 only has 89K so it should go another 100K.

the4wheeler

May 4, 2008
Ventura County SoCal
Ihear ya if your having trouble id change it no doubt!

One thing ive done since the truck was new is change the fluid in the master cyl resivior every engine oil change. DOse it help, i dont know? but when clear fluid turns black something is in it and i just change it for peice of mind, It dosent cahnge all the fluid in the whole system but it changes the majority of it!!

i done the same thing the factory clutch loves to turn the fluid in to tar rather quickley
suck it up with a lint free rag and dump some fresh stuff in

the4wheeler

May 4, 2008
Ventura County SoCal
got the clutch put in nothing like wrestling a 800lb gator balanced on top of a flore jack.

hats off to the guys at south bend for sending a COMPLETE kit!!! thankyou :D
attachment.php

ok how the hell do you bleede the air out of the slave? got most of it out just by pumping it about 300 times im sure thoes theirs a procedure?

and second
is it normal for the motor to have a noticeable shake at idle do to the shear mass of this setup? it should be balanced for a 06 lbz according to the writing on the flywheel and yes i lined up all the marks and oriented the plates corectley.

Attachments

• clutchs.JPG
    clutchs.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:

tysmith

ZF-6
Aug 29, 2008
got the clutch put in nothing like wrestling a 800lb gator balanced on top of a flore jack.

hats off to the guys at south bend for sending a COMPLETE kit!!! thankyou :D
attachment.php

ok how the hell do you bleede the air out of the slave? got most of it out just by pumping it about 300 times im sure thoes theirs a procedure?

and second
is it normal for the motor to have a noticeable shake at idle do to the shear mass of this setup? it should be balanced for a 06 lbz according to the writing on the flywheel and yes i lined up all the marks and oriented the plates corectley.

Not normal to vibrate. There were two different rotating assemblies used in '06. Mine uses the same as the '01-'05, LB7/LLY trucks. Late build '06 ZF's got LBZ rotating assembly. Check with Peter at South Bend. It all depends on your build date. Mine was built 11/05 or 12/05...

As rare as ZF trucks are, the '06's are truly the red-headed step children...

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
Yeah his is just like mine. I have a clattery sound and bad vibrations but I just ignore it. The guy that built my clutch told me if I wanted to make it stop to get a Fluidampr or aftermarket balancer of some sort.