PID files

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
A "SPA style" EGT sensor has the amplifier built in. You supply it with 12v, and it will output 0.5 - 5.0v ? so you read those kind in with a EXT port with EFIlive.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
A "SPA style" EGT sensor has the amplifier built in. You supply it with 12v, and it will output 0.5 - 5.0v ? so you read those kind in with a EXT port with EFIlive.

ahhh, in lieu of the temp ports???

Will try that asap! Thanks a BUNCH Pat!! BTW, this is on Garrick's truck. You all have been talking lately. ;)

C-ya

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Hey Pat, I have a SPA gauge in my truck and was looking over the components and it appears like the gauge itself may be where the conversion from 12V to 5V occurs. Is that right???

If so, my bud got one broke off in him cause all he got was the probe (based on a Part # on EFI Live website). Wonder how we can get the signal from the probe to a 0-5V signal???

C-ya

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Thanks Simon. I appreciate your help. Next step is to check the voltage at the gauge. No voltage is shown at the plugs into the EFI Live hand unit. I'm assuming the elec. gauges work off of the same voltage reading that we are looking for and they are working so they are getting the voltage sent to them, just gotta get that signal from the gauge to the EFI Live hand held unit. :D

On the EGT logging. The truck has two probes. One goes to the gauge in the truck and is the supplied probe for the gauge and is working properly. The other probe is the SPA K-type probe and is run directly to the EFI Live V2 hand unit and plugged into the Temp1 port. It does some minor fluctuation but the information/data is completely wrong. i.e. sitting idling it's at about 70-85*, while the gauge shows 2-300. When revving up the gauge shows EGTs jumping up a couple hundred degrees and the EFI Live log shows it going from about 75* up to about 100-105*. So it does slowly fluctuate but it just isn't right.

Isn't it member "greyarea" that mentioned being able to log EGTs with one of these SPA probes???

C-ya

Mitch you get everything working? And you are useing pins or did you just stick the wire in there? I have evn had issues with the volt meter not reading
But you should see somewhere between 0-5 volts and the gauge must be plugged into the harness

If I was in the shop, I would get you a pic of the SPA sensor info.

How bout some part#s:) And would we be better of useing a probe from a DPF pipe?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
FWIW
If you are selecting a PID you can right click on it and click "more info"
this will tell you if you need another PID selected to log this PID

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Mitch you get everything working? And you are useing pins or did you just stick the wire in there? I have evn had issues with the volt meter not reading
But you should see somewhere between 0-5 volts and the gauge must be plugged into the harness

How bout some part#s:) And would we be better of useing a probe from a DPF pipe?

DOH!!! BRB!:baby:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY

still nada. :(

We used the wires right into the plugs that go into the efi live hand unit and pins in the harness at the back of the gauges.

Thanks for the heads-up on the right clicking to see what other PIDs are needed to get the right data... I'll be sure to check that. Although, it should just need the calc pid I created and the external pid, right?

Simon, the part number is listed on EFI Live sight for the correct SPA gauge. HERE

C-ya
Mitch

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
still nada. :(

We used the wires right into the plugs that go into the efi live hand unit and pins in the harness at the back of the gauges.

Thanks for the heads-up on the right clicking to see what other PIDs are needed to get the right data... I'll be sure to check that. Although, it should just need the calc pid I created and the external pid, right?

Simon, the part number is listed on EFI Live sight for the correct SPA gauge. HERE

C-ya
Mitch

Thanks Mitch

Correct on the external PID,Really that is all you need
the Calc will just do conversion on your log.At first I was just useing Excel to convert the voltage over to data

but both work well,Its just something to keep in mind if you want to keep the PID list shorter if you know what i mean?

Im confused as to why you cant get voltage from the back of the gauge though? HMM

Mitch this is with or with out the pins? Perhaps try pulling 2 wires out of a unused gauge and stick them in the one you are trying to log ( JUST FOR NOW)? Just a thought

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Thanks Mitch

Correct on the external PID,Really that is all you need
the Calc will just do conversion on your log.At first I was just useing Excel to convert the voltage over to data

but both work well,Its just something to keep in mind if you want to keep the PID list shorter if you know what i mean?

Im confused as to why you cant get voltage from the back of the gauge though? HMM

Mitch this is with or with out the pins? Perhaps try pulling 2 wires out of a unused gauge and stick them in the one you are trying to log ( JUST FOR NOW)? Just a thought

We are using pins, not just wired in.

We used your picture of the plug/harness to set up the wiring.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
We are using pins, not just wired in.

We used your picture of the plug/harness to set up the wiring.

Sorry Mitch dont know what to tell ya:confused:
Dale and I tried his Electric EGT gauge but couldnt get anything from it,But my lift pump and oil press ( DP ) gauge worked with no probloms?

Sorry for all the dumb questions but the harness and gauge are also connectedto each other when you trying to read the voltage?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Here is what we know... the gauges are working so they are getting the signal. We are gonna start tracing back from the EFI Live hand unit to see where the signal stops and go from there. Not much else we can do other than that... I'm pretty sure the PIDs are working (they show -7.5 all the time based on the calculations you provided with your spreadsheet), it's just that they aren't gettting any voltage input from the external port PID to compute. So, once we can get the voltage signal to the efi live hand unit (is that thing called something else??? that doesn't sound right to me but I can't think what else it might be called) I'm pretty sure the calculated PIDs are gonna work. Just gotta sort that out.

The EGT logging is probably gonna be a PITA since not many have done it successfully.

C-ya

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
In the proceeding order, what is the black box for:

Pyrometer probe - lead wires - green and yellow plug - wire from green and yellow plug - black box - wire out to gauge.

I cracked open the black box and there is a chip/board inside. I assume it simply takes the reading from leads, does some math and converts to a signal the gauge can understand. Is that right?

Problem is, my friend didn't get that black box with his probe, he simply got a probe with leads on it with the impression that the Temp ports on the EFI Live hand unit did the converting itself. Since it's not working, that's probably not how or what those temperature ports are supposed to work. I suppose I/we/he need to get in touch with EFI Live for a clearer description of how someone has succesfully logged EGTs or how to use those temperature ports..

C-ya

496 BB

Head Thread De-Railer
Feb 20, 2009
At your girlfriends house
Does anyone care to share some for the LML? Like as in 2011 style. Was messing around data logging the other day and couldnt seem to find accurate EGT or boost PIDs. Also there is about 4 rail pressure ones. Think I figured that out with commanded and actual though.