Passing "Smog"

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
New Jermany is upping their agenda. I just found out that all diesel trucks will now be inspected annually. Before I throw in my compound 475 kit, I figured I'd reach out to those that may have info on passing in CA for smog. I figure NJ will be there soon enough! For now it will be a visual and snap accel opacity test. I'm FE9, so I never had emissions on the truck! I don't think that the compounds should be a problem?! Maybe I need to flash a non-dsp file in to keep them happy if they read the ECM? Any other things to know? Thanks - please don't turn this into a thread that will need to be shut down. I fully agree it's bullshit, and I am trying to stay ahead and under the RADAR. In their last move I sold my LMM rather than come back into compliance, and that's why I'm in the FE9 LB7 now!

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I can tell you Twins would not pass the visual in CA. Not saying you can't find people to look the other way, Only that there is no CA Smog legal twin kit so it would not pass that portion of the test in CA.

As for the calibration... It's a grey area. I know people that have passed with a DSP 5 file under the new rules although technically it should not.

From my understanding they take a snapshot and record the Operating System# as well as the CVN# and VIN#

That being said, Even GM did not record all the changes and there for they don't have all the possible Official OS#s and correct CVN#s that were released prior to around 2006ish...

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Yeah, visual would be an instant fail when the tech sees the twin kit. Here in California all equipment related to emissions has to be tested and certified. Then it gets an executive order number. The tech will look for one on the equipment and if he can't find any or the numbers don't match the database it's a fail. So, per them, anything past the MAF sensor all the way to behind the last CAT, DPF or sensor is emissions related. Air filters and CAT back exhaust is about all you can do without an EO number on the equipment

I think most that have a DSP tune can just load a stock or maybe even a non-DSP tune to satisfy the CVN scan. I know for me I run only single (non-DSP) tunes and haven't failed due to it.

Other than the visual, there might be readiness monitors that might need to be set. FE9 should have few and shouldn't be a problem. Most have issues with the EGR, so you should be clear here

Snap test can be tricky on a big tune and an LB7. LB7 doesn't have as many tables to limit smoke output like the newer ones do. And if you can't run a DSP to the smog station then you may need a custom (no smoke) tune that you load before going in.

But none of this will mean anything if the visual inspection will fail first

Is there a possibility with the number of people who have modified, gutted, and removed emissions equipment, will fail automatically so will protest or lobby to have the law only look at say just a snap test? As long as it's clean it doesn't matter what's under the hood type inspection? What's the normal modifications out there? Will there be significant push back?

Reactions: N2BRK

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
This is so new and no one really knows anything other than some time this year NJ is going to bring back annual inspection for our trucks and set up additional roadside checks. Since mine never came with anything from the factory, I think it’s just snap accel test. I wasn’t sure about the compounds being an issue - why a visual check on a truck that has no EGR/pcv/cat/etc? Argh. I think I blew a lot of $ on a compound kit that now I’m not going to install. 🤦‍♂️. So how about those new Mach 1 DT stock appearing turbos, lol. 😡

gassux

Mar 14, 2010
I have downstate ny emissions testing{orange county north is just a safety check} and i pass on a PPEI tow tune and no kitty. I've owned the truck for 14yrs and never noticed a change on the printout. I'd imagine NJ will mirror NY. CA is whole different level of communism, you're bringing the truck to a smog station to get tested.

Woody35

Jan 4, 2013
Before jumping to conclusions I would research what they require in the inspection. I'm guessing the NJ DOT has posted this somewhere.

DuramaxRamRod

Oct 11, 2014
NH
This is so new and no one really knows anything other than some time this year NJ is going to bring back annual inspection for our trucks and set up additional roadside checks. Since mine never came with anything from the factory, I think it’s just snap accel test. I wasn’t sure about the compounds being an issue - why a visual check on a truck that has no EGR/pcv/cat/etc? Argh. I think I blew a lot of $ on a compound kit that now I’m not going to install. 🤦‍♂️. So how about those new Mach 1 DT stock appearing turbos, lol. 😡
I'd do a drop in for now since you were already thinking about doing one and then in the future if you can't install the compound kit sell it. DT says they are pursuing E.O. certification as well for their turbos .

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The DT Mach 1 turbo Appears to be 49 state legal already. Looks like they had it tested at Sema Garage.

Stroked06Goat

Mar 30, 2023
Syracuse, NY
Well yes, any 3/4 ton truck in NY is safety inspection but still need to pass a visual for standard oem equipment. My 2010 has never had an issue at all, but again depends on who is inspecting. Go to a shop that barely knows ditzels, and you are golden. Now if NJ is offering actual tailpipe testing, thats a different ball of wax. If NY went there....you'd just have to be careful about your limiters to keep it clean.

Also...i've got an 02 FE as well....bone stock. Wouldn't surprise me if a stock truck fails some day with the direction they are going.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
They Don't Sample at the tail pipe on a diesel. The do an Opacity test which is a visual type inspection by snaping the throttle and looking to see if blows smoke and how long it takes for it to dissipate.

If you did a tail pipe sniff test on a diesel truck prior to having a DPF with DEF You would contaminate the sampling hose and plug the little inline filter.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
They Don't Sample at the tail pipe on a diesel. The do an Opacity test which is a visual type inspection by snaping the throttle and looking to see if blows smoke and how long it takes for it to dissipate.

If you did a tail pipe sniff test on a diesel truck prior to having a DPF with DEF You would contaminate the sampling hose and plug the little inline filter.
Don't give them any ideas 😂

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Don't give them any ideas 😂
They already know that. That's why they don't test them that way. They don't want the technician to mess with the machine any more then absolutely necessary. That's why they don't test cars after 1996 with with the OBD2 system with the sniffer any more. If the Catalytic converter is working efficiently it sets a check engine light. That's why the check the CVN# on the calibrations now to see if the Calibration has been tampered with...

A check engine light that is currently on or not functioning at all is an Automatic fail.

The smog test equipment has a small inline filter on the sampling side. After so many test it has to be changed. When you change the little filter you have to recalibrate with a testing gas. The machine also has a lock on every compartment with an electronic sensor. They know each and every time you open it to change that filter. The Technician has to log in and calibrate the machine every day before preforming any actual test on the equipment. It also automatically logs you out after a period of time. They also record how long you spend testing each vehicle including the time taken to preform the visual test. If you don't spend enough time or you make a mistake while testing a car, 1 or more people will show up and ask you why you don't spend more time preforming the test as well as make you preform a test on there car in front of them that may or may not have been tampered with to make sure you are paying attention. They also send bait cars through randomly. Some are more obvious than others.

Did you know the machines are still hooked up to an old Dial up system to try and prevent electronic tampering?

• Wow
Reactions: 455buick and N2BRK

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
They already know that. That's why they don't test them that way. They don't want the technician to mess with the machine any more then absolutely necessary. That's why they don't test cars after 1996 with with the OBD2 system with the sniffer any more. If the Catalytic converter is working efficiently it sets a check engine light. That's why the check the CVN# on the calibrations now to see if the Calibration has been tampered with...

A check engine light that is currently on or not functioning at all is an Automatic fail.

The smog test equipment has a small inline filter on the sampling side. After so many test it has to be changed. When you change the little filter you have to recalibrate with a testing gas. The machine also has a lock on every compartment with an electronic sensor. They know each and every time you open it to change that filter. The Technician has to log in and calibrate the machine every day before preforming any actual test on the equipment. It also automatically logs you out after a period of time. They also record how long you spend testing each vehicle including the time taken to preform the visual test. If you don't spend enough time or you make a mistake while testing a car, 1 or more people will show up and ask you why you don't spend more time preforming the test as well as make you preform a test on there car in front of them that may or may not have been tampered with to make sure you are paying attention. They also send bait cars through randomly. Some are more obvious than others.

Did you know the machines are still hooked up to an old Dial up system to try and prevent electronic tampering?
I knew a shop were the tech would do the visual first before hooking up the machine or starting the test. He stated that the moment he starts the test the state will bill him and therefore has to bill the customer. He did it this way as he was able to tell customers if they would fail the visual and would be pointless to hook up to the OBD. He knew the whole thing was a racket and it was his way of "beating" the system. He said he was instructed to hook up to the OBD first before anything else so the state can get their payment. His shop even became one of the star certified ones before they cancelled that program. He was the cheapest guy around and always had a line of cars waiting. It sucks he turned his shop over to his brother and let him run it because it didn't last a year after that

Reactions: 1FastBrick

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I knew a shop were the tech would do the visual first before hooking up the machine or starting the test. He stated that the moment he starts the test the state will bill him and therefore has to bill the customer. He did it this way as he was able to tell customers if they would fail the visual and would be pointless to hook up to the OBD. He knew the whole thing was a racket and it was his way of "beating" the system. He said he was instructed to hook up to the OBD first before anything else so the state can get their payment. His shop even became one of the star certified ones before they cancelled that program. He was the cheapest guy around and always had a line of cars waiting. It sucks he turned his shop over to his brother and let him run it because it didn't last a year after that
Good shops will do a "health check" and hook up an OBD2 scanner and make sure all the monitors are set. Aside from that, All they do is make sure the Catalytic converters are present, Make sure there are no in lin foolers like on the 02 sensors, and if it supposed to have an EGR, make sure its present and that it does not have blocker plates in between the joints. Any thing non Original or Non OEM must have a CARB exemption. The Decal is supposed to mounted under the hood in a visible place like the core support. I keep my tag in the glove box just in case. It can be very difficult to obtain a replacement sticker from some manufactures. It took me over a year to get mine from Magnuson.

If something like a Catalytic convertor has been replaced, it must have the correct Replacement part number with CARB number on it. That number must also be visible to the inspector so they can verify it in the system. Not Visible is an automatic fail....

Reactions: 2004LB7

Stroked06Goat

Mar 30, 2023
Syracuse, NY
My dad was in it for years owned his own shop. Exactly that, they said you are to pull it in, strip the sticker...and if it failed it failed. Plug it in and pay me please. But you're right, a good mechanic does what is best for the customer. Unfortunately there are so many 'technicians' that just follow their book lessons and thats that.
I had no idea that the opacity test was simply visual. I assumed California had some sort of diesel sniffer to measure ppm of unburnt fuel or something.
Good to find a good trustworthy mechanic, i suppose i've been lucky. I've helped some out with tuning before so they treat me well. I had a jetta that I replaced everything and no matter what, sporadically the engine light came on. I'd clear it leaving home. Drop the car off and check everything is set. He pulls it in, it passed....then within a few miles driving home it comes back on ha. Good dude

Reactions: 1FastBrick

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
My dad was in it for years owned his own shop. Exactly that, they said you are to pull it in, strip the sticker...and if it failed it failed. Plug it in and pay me please. But you're right, a good mechanic does what is best for the customer. Unfortunately there are so many 'technicians' that just follow their book lessons and thats that.
I had no idea that the opacity test was simply visual. I assumed California had some sort of diesel sniffer to measure ppm of unburnt fuel or something.
Good to find a good trustworthy mechanic, i suppose i've been lucky. I've helped some out with tuning before so they treat me well. I had a jetta that I replaced everything and no matter what, sporadically the engine light came on. I'd clear it leaving home. Drop the car off and check everything is set. He pulls it in, it passed....then within a few miles driving home it comes back on ha. Good dude
Yup, some of the early cars are like that. These newer ones are not. The newer computers are so advanced they record how many times they have been re flashed, how many times the monitors have been reset, and so on.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Before Idaho stopped emissions testing, we had a sniffer of sorts on the diesels. It was a different hose that hooked to the machine and it measured opacity on the throttle snap. They would hook to OBD, read any codes (but not OS/CVN), then watch the RPM for the throttle snap. You'd have to snap it to between 2000-3000 RPM then let it idle, and the machine would measure the opacity from the hose in the exhaust.

Ironically my bone stock 1982 Chevy with the 6.2L diesel would almost fail every time, but with a little effort in the tuning you'd pass easily on the modern diesels.

They did do monitor readiness checks, so you couldn't flash a tune next door, drive over, and pass. You'd have to put a couple drive cycles on to get all the monitors to go green. But if your MAF limits were sane, pretty easy to pass.

But they dropped emissions testing entirely here now, since cars aren't the main source of poor air quality anymore in the treasure valley. A shockingly reasonable decision for a government.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk