Oval Chamber Pistons

kenny

kennydiesel
Mar 5, 2009
washington state
piston coating

Coatings are a thermal barrier and polishing is not. That would be the reason to do one vs the other.

Thermal barrier to prevent what? Oil baking on the bottom side? I have seen people run these both with a top coat and without. I havent found any feedback or benefit relating to coaitng the tops? Thanks for the response!

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I don't know how much better they are as some have still melted/ burnt the coating off but I suppose it's better than nothing.
There are really good coatings out there but not available to the general public. NASA used these on the space shuttles to prevent meltdown on reentry in the atmosphere. I wish it was available for purchase somewhere. I had iron my original set of pistons but that source closed their doors.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
They are available to the public. It's just that nobody has 50k laying around to spray a set of pistons. I joked around with a NASA engineer a few months ago about spraying some pistons for me. (We are working on new injectors/rocket engines for them, all of which are sprayed with exotic materials which I then machine) he said sure give them to me when you ship us the liners for spraying lol.

kenny

kennydiesel
Mar 5, 2009
washington state
They are available to the public. It's just that nobody has 50k laying around to spray a set of pistons. I joked around with a NASA engineer a few months ago about spraying some pistons for me. (We are working on new injectors/rocket engines for them, all of which are sprayed with exotic materials which I then machine) he said sure give them to me when you ship us the liners for spraying lol.

Haha, thats awesome!!..

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Akadized coatings method is from all data that I have seen is hands down the best possible stuff. That is what I can't get anymore.

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
I'm not following this fork.

What is it that an Oval piston coated with unobtanium do that the current polished one not do based on real-world experiences thus far?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
In reality, give the piston a few more seconds of life, in really bad conditions. It would only buy you a small amount of time. That's it.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Ummm, if you need coating on them to stay alive you are doing something wrong in the way you are making hp. Brett's pistons are not coated and barely polished and look like new everytime the heads were off.:thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Coating is not definitive to me in making stock pistons last. My pistons did not receive any coating and if/when they do crack, fingers pistons will be going in.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Ummm, if you need coating on them to stay alive you are doing something wrong in the way you are making hp. Brett's pistons are not coated and barely polished and look like new everytime the heads were off.:thumb:

^^this.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
I just blew apart my crankshaft in my motor with Fingers pistons; they have 40 to 50,000 miles on them, I need to do some checking and see exactly how many miles it was. Could be north of 50,000 even.

They've been run pretty hard; this was a 1,000rwhp truck that has a couple dozen hooks on it as well as a bunch of dyno pulls, and I daily drove it for 3 years in a pretty mean way. As in, on the street I drove it around no ****s given, beating on it pretty regularly.

What all do you want to see to evaluate the condition of the pistons? High res pics?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Aw shoot.

First thing is to clean them well without using an abrasive. Carb cleaner and brake cleaner. Multiple passes.

Post the pics here and we will see what they look like.