OPTIMA Battery Ruptured

ar077

Apr 18, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Upon lifting the hood to change my fuel filter I discovered that the 9 month-old OPTIMA 34/78 Yellow Top passenger-side battery had ruptured and leaked acid. The rupture had to have occurred in the recent past because (fortunately) the damage to my truck was limited to the battery tray and the tray support bracket, both of which I replaced.

Not being able to wait for a new battery, I bought a new OPTIMA 34/78 Yellow Top to replace the ruptured one from the passenger side. I never doubted that OPTIMA would stand behind their product and at least reimburse me for the price I paid for the ruptured battery, if not the higher cost (there had been a price increase) of the new one. Was I in for a shock!

OPTIMA completely blew me off. When I called their warranty department they had me e-mail them a picture of the rupture but they weren’t interested in examining the battery. Basing their judgment on a grainy e-mailed photograph they said it wasn’t due to a manufacturing defect and they refused to warrant the battery. This battery had never been subjected to any abnormal external stresses. The alternator is stock and the batteries were not overcharged, and there are no heat-producing mods under the hood. Since I don’t drive off road the batteries had not been exposed to any violent motion other than my truck’s stiff suspension. That being the case there are only two possible conclusions: 1) this particular 9 month-old OPTIMA 34/78 Yellow Top battery was defective; or 2) OPTIMA 34/78 Yellow Top batteries, as designed and manufactured, are unsuitable for normal use in GM Duramax Diesel trucks. I won’t generalize by saying that the OPTIMA warranty is worthless, but in this particular case OPTIMA did not stand behind their product.

I’m not going to immediately replace my OPTIMA Yellow Tops but I no longer trust them. I installed a layer of Quick Cable Acid Absorbing Mat under both batteries and I check them frequently. When I do replace them it will be with Caterpillar or Odyssey batteries, or something else.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Yeah, AC Delco batteries are some real winners...

I'm going to take it as you having problems with them. I've burned up more AC Delco batteries than anything else. Those things are friggin worthless and ACD won't even stand behind them. They blame it on "Vegas heat".... wtf:confused:

Running optima reds now, no problems so far.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Wes where I used to work I would "warrenty" my ACD 78-7yr batteries like once every 6-8 months, never had a issue with them, but then again we were a good dealer for them.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Dang, that sucks. I've had my fair share of optimas go bad (never leak though!), and they only warrantied one (of 4). Finally, my brain kicked in and I thought, why am I paying $200 for these things?!?

Now I run the $90 crap they have at the local auto parts store. Longer warranty, and no failures to date, despite abuse. Go figure!

Glad it didn't cause more damage to your truck than it did.

sr23det

Oct 1, 2009
im loosing faith on optimas a buddy of mines bought a brand new red top and with 6 months of driving and about a year of sitting it went bad. it started gassing and getting hot. i also have a yellow top for about a year but i've tossed it around alot from car to car and it craped out and would not hold a charge.

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
We got a redtop in our Jeep diesel 2006 model and that battery spins the little diesel over like a champ even after almost 6 yrs. I haven't touched it still has blanket and pad under it from factory no leaks or issues. I hope they aren't going to crap now. Our alt. and battery get checked every oil change for charging etc. and no change since new.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
I noticed the red tops are better than the yellow tops. My old pickup had a redtop with no issue at all and handled all the overloads better than the yellowtop did. The redtop was constantly abused and never let me down once for over 3 years. I still have the AC Delco on mine and no issues at all. Seems to be the original battery since I looked at the warranty history and no battery has been replaced.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Excide makes a dry cell battery like the optima. Ran it in the race car for a few years, and 1 in my 1 ton ford years back for a couple years. Never had an issue with them. They seemed to last 2-3 years...Then my buddy worked at checker auto replaced them both for me 2-3 years later for half price, so I never found there breaking point...

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
I have adopted Mike L.'s do not jump start anyone as a sidenote. I will just use my charger boost bumper to start mine if they go low and replace with redtops then. I will stay with Optima Reds from the one I have going now. Hell it's been 5+ yrs. and the same with the LBZ and it's stock batteries.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
my AC delcos lasted a year when the truck was new, put Red tops in it as replacements and htey stayed there till jsut this past month when i finally noticed it was crankin slower than my dads '10. Just put 2 new red tops in and hopin for another 8 years :D

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
I found load test don't really mean jack. Took one set of my Delco's to be load tested 3 separate times at 3 different locations, they checked out fine every time. However, they didn't have the juice to start the truck.

I'm sure some people have good experiences with them, but after the number of those POS i've burned up, i'll never buy another. Almost easier to go with the cheapo Wally world brand since they come with a better warranty and they're a lot cheaper.

CamaroZ

Mar 10, 2010
South Shore, Ma
There's alot of different kind of load test's so you're right, in some cases a load test doesn't mean anything. I work for a shop with pretty much everything and our load tester in some cases will kill a older battery during testing... Even turn a weak battery bad :) customers don't appreciate it sometimes when they ask for a battery check and then it won't turn the engine over after. :rofl:

ar077

Apr 18, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Subsequent to an e-mail discussion with Cam Douglass, OPTIMA Director of Product Development and Marketing, OPTIMA has elected to have the ruptured battery analyzed in the laboratory at their battery technology center in Milwaukee. Yesterday I gave the battery to their agent here. I'll post an update when I hear the results of their assessment.