Only (2) choices in synthetic 15W40?

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah
I use the Baldwin oil filters. Usually can get twelve for ~100 bones. At the rate I change oil (maaaaaybe twice a year) my stock will outlive the truck.

496 BB

Head Thread De-Railer
Feb 20, 2009
At your girlfriends house
Alright so just finished up this debacle. Got Shaeffers 7000 15w40 in engine with Mobil 1 filter and Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 in rear end. Will see how it does. Thanks for all the great info.

Man its amazing how foul diesel oil smells compared to gasoline oil. STINKS both the old and the new. I assume thats how it goes for a diesel right? Lol.

Are the spin on allison filters same as they have always been? Just ask for an Allison 1000 external spin on filter? What fluid to top off?

Sorry for all the questions. I didnt get the diesel supplement book with the truck.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I'm with ferm. I run 5-40 year round even towing in the summer. And it's much nicer in the winter.

And Delco filters for me

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I didn't even think you could get 15w-40 synthetic anymore. Everyone round these parts runs 5w-40 syn.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Yes all the Trans filters are the same.

I'm guessing you have dex6 in your trans

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Does it go away after few hundred miles or always stays. If so Im switching back to 5w40. $90 wasted.
Sometimes it goes away. Other times it doesn't. Won't harm anything. Might as well use this oil up, no point in wasting it.

5/40 may or may not get rid of it. Different engines prefer different oils. Some people have ticks with Rotella some don't. Some have it with delvac some don't.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Nobody knows exactly what causes it. The theory is micro air bubbles passing through the engine make a popping sound as they go through the bearings and as the pressure releases, the bubbles pop, and thus the tick from the bubbles popping. It isn't just the DURAMAX that does it as CUMMINS has problems with it, and the newer POWERSTROKES also do it. It's believed the the noise was always there, it just wasn't audible over the diesel sound of the engine. As engines have gotten quieter, we can now hear these other noises. I know mine does it with MOBIL 1 5W40, and 15W40 oils, but it doesn't do it at all with ROTELLA T6 5W40. Some say it goes away after the oil gets some miles on it, and others say it can start after the oil gets some miles on it. It varies from engine to engine, and doesn't hurt a thing, just annoying is all.

http://www.hotshotsecret.com/diagno...vice-bulletins/2001-2015-duramax-ticking-tsb/