Ok guys

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
This is what i got and what i wanna do is not known as of yet. Everyone knows i just straight axled my 97 chevy. Well i got a burnt vavle in my motor. Truck still runs decent just the passagner side pipe will suck a dollar bill threw it and blow cold air. Now this truck is going to be a fun truck. Mud racing, Tug truck, Sled puller ( With the very high hp gassers) And tire dragger. My motor opitions are. 383 small block, 454, Or 502, If i wanted to i could hit a 572 also. I Or i can run the 6.6 duramax diesel. If you where building this truck. What would u run and why would u run it??

Brian1

Jan 1, 2008
I like to do a 502. Finding parts may be a pain. Not sure if GM sells crate marine 502s anymore. Get a RamJet intake manifold, rods, roller lifters basically what was on tbyrne website at one time. Then go 4l85E or squeeze an allison in there. Should be pretty nice. Throw on a supercharger for more power. Of course the cost to build this proably get you close to a Duramax setup. Why I would do either would be the fun to do it. A good challenge.

Brian

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
I like to do a 502. Finding parts may be a pain. Not sure if GM sells crate marine 502s anymore. Get a RamJet intake manifold, rods, roller lifters basically what was on tbyrne website at one time. Then go 4l85E or squeeze an allison in there. Should be pretty nice. Throw on a supercharger for more power. Of course the cost to build this proably get you close to a Duramax setup. Why I would do either would be the fun to do it. A good challenge.

Brian

Yes thats what i like to here. i was thinking of the 502 but one thing that i keep in mind to is heating. Im sure they will run hot all cam up. Also longivity. Im thinking a well build 502 will problemy only last for maybe 2.5 Years beating on it hard. Maybe a diesel will last longer. i just dont wanna throw money away.

Brian1

Jan 1, 2008
You may have a point there. Never did anything to the 2 2500 avalanches with a 496 that I had. I loved them though.

Brian

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
I have a 350 that makes 500hp Ill sell you for $5000. You may want a better cam for low end but it could still make a reliable 400hp with a smaller cam.

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
I'd look into a local engine builder. Tell them what your going to do with the truck (even if it's a general idea). Someone can build you one for you. I wouldn't even mess with crate motors.

With the money it would take to purchase a crate engine, you could have a custom one with a lot more HP.

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
Does anyone no if there is a differnce between wiring for a 454 that come out of the same year chevy as mine. I would thing the only differnce would be computer

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
I have a 350 that makes 500hp Ill sell you for $5000. You may want a better cam for low end but it could still make a reliable 400hp with a smaller cam.

Nothing against you. I no all the money u got in it u are still taking a kick in the balls at 5,000 dollars. But if i gotta spin that much on a motor i will by a duramax. I just priced a 383 fuel injectied holy frecking batman the dude wanted 12,000 dollars for it:eek:.I can buy a dmax motor complete with wiring harness. Put rods and pistions in it and do dual cp3's For the amount this guy wanted for that 383

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Nothing against you. I no all the money u got in it u are still taking a kick in the balls at 5,000 dollars. But if i gotta spin that much on a motor i will by a duramax. I just priced a 383 fuel injectied holy frecking batman the dude wanted 12,000 dollars for it:eek:.I can buy a dmax motor complete with wiring harness. Put rods and pistions in it and do dual cp3's For the amount this guy wanted for that 383

You couldn't build a DMAX for that cheap. I agree you need a big block. I personally like a 598 or 632, but I like boats too:D

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008

i agree with wolf. you cant build a dmax for that. i promise. rods-2700, delipped lb7 pistons- 400(if you get a lb7 motor), headstuds- 550, duel fuelers, at least 2 grand if you find a kit minus the pump and buy a used pump. thats close to 6 grand right there and that doesnt include mis. parts(front and rear seals, etc....) a built tranny to hold it, and any kind of turbo(s) to justify having dual fuelers and rods. i think a dmax would be badass, but its going to be your most expensive option.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I can assure you samll block can get it done. I had a built 402 SBC for a while in my 87 chevy and it was a mild build still using TBI and the thing was a TQ monster muddin pullin people out of the mud, tug of war the thing never skipped a beat. I like my BIg Blocks but the rev happy SBC gets my vote if you aren't goin D-Max

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I can assure you samll block can get it done. I had a built 402 SBC for a while in my 87 chevy and it was a mild build still using TBI and the thing was a TQ monster muddin pullin people out of the mud, tug of war the thing never skipped a beat. I like my BIg Blocks but the rev happy SBC gets my vote if you aren't goin D-Max

Yes a small block can do the job, but I like boats:D LOL So big block gets my vote everytime.

gr8shot

Practically stock
Apr 28, 2009
Grand Island, NE
how would putting a chevy motor in a chevy truck be different? I think the 6bt would make you a lot more unique than a BB chevy would. I'm sure most people are running either a BBC or SBC compared to the number of cummins swaps you'd see. I put another vote in for the cummins :D