oil temp with twins

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Your rite on the money Brian. Unfortunately not every one has the holes to put that big ol cooler in there. I'm doing twin smaller coolers in the 2 holes in the bumper on the LLY (seen in the 3rd pic of your truck Brian). Should do fine. We will find out come summer. This will be a smaller cooler set up than what I did on the LB7.

It looks as though only about 1/2 your cooler is exposed to the direct air flow Brian. Is there anything directing more air flow to it? I'm sure with the size of it, it cools pretty good for you though.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Nope, nothing more than just the opening, which is around 45sq inches. This cooler on the chevy's kinda looks odd because chevy bumpers dont have a factory hole in them. I thought about adding 2 smaller electric fans on the backside of the cooler to aid in city traffic, but havent yet. Can you post pics of your cooler? Might be a better alternative to my $$$ cooler.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
The 2 coolers I'm going to use aren't here yet (need to get them ordered but I've got most every thing else on the way). They are plate style coolers that are 13" wide x 3" high x 2.5" deep and 1 will feed into the other. I will be making brackets to mount them in the bumper slots about 3 or so inches back. Seemed useless to me to spend the big bucks on a big Fluidyne that extended all the way across because of the design of the bumper. It would be partly blocked. I like the fan idea Brian. I may do some thing like that with a temp switch I could install it the adapter.

I forgot to mention earlier in the testing post that the out side temp was 45-50* most the time. What happens when it's 90-100* out side? :eek:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Interesting, keep this thread updated as you progress!

I had an idea when I put the cooler on, said to myself "how can I read the air temp thats coming out of the cooler??"

Outside air temp on the rear view mirror :thumb:

Unhooked the sensor, and zip tied it behind the cooler, so now my mirror reads what is coming out of the cooler. On the cali trip, temps were between 45-60* at night, and cooler was over 110* the whole way back to AZ. :woott:

Benltr

Jan 17, 2012
Do you have an advice on which oil temp gauge to use? Like is there any more reliable ones?

Thank you guys, im doing twins soon and i guess i will have to check for this.

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
I use the Shindy digital water temp gauge (17-850). I get them from amazon. It's the same as there oil temp gauge but without all the useless fittings for the oil pan. I've found it to be very accurate (tested it against several known accurate temp sensors). They say they have blue back lighting but it's actually greeninsh yellow now. I used the supplied velcro and attached it on the dash just under the turn signal lever. I can see it through the steering wheel and it's out of the way of every thing else. I used the 1/2 npt port just above and in front of the oil filter on the oil filter housing. If this port is being used already like I do, you can put a brass Tee in it to adapt it. I'm sure others have had good luck with other gauges. This is the only one I have used so far and it's staying.

P3010378.jpg

Attachments

• P3010378.jpg
    P3010378.jpg
    656.3 KB · Views: 36

Benltr

Jan 17, 2012
Is there a steering wheel pod for 08 lmm? I have a 3 mount pillar so i need a room to put it and i like the idea of having it on the steering...

I only saw steering wheel pod for 03 and lower years...

Benltr

Jan 17, 2012
I found one on diesel manor...

Saw couples pics on diesel place...

Not very popular tough...

Do the z serie lights at night?

Benltr

Jan 17, 2012
i might just go with the cobalt since all my gauge are cobalt...

still wondering Farenheit or celcius gauge lol... (Canada :) )

So what are the ideal oil temps/ coolant temps / oil pressure ? Farenheit or celcius whatever

What is the "red zone" for oil temps / coolant temps / oil pressure? Farenheit or celcius whatever

Sorry if the question was already asked...

BTW i will run twins, 45% nozzles, and doing some drag racing.

Ben

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
Oil should ALWAYS get at least 180-185*F (82-85*C). It needs to be hot enough to burn off condensation build up and make the motor parts swell to proper operating temps it was built to run at. I believe optimum maintained oil temp is 185-210*F (85-99*C). But you don't want it spending much time at or above 260*F (127*C). Partial breakdown can start to occur with petroleum based oils at this temp if maintained. My coolant temps rarely go above 175*F (79.5*C) gauges, you need what ever your most comfy with This is pretty close to ideal as well I believe. You don't want them to get to 260*+F (127*C). My oil pressure is about 27-30psi at idle, and at 65mph it's around 53-55psi. You can run synthetics to decrease the chance of it breaking down, but the fact remains that if you need this to survive the higher temps, your slowly killing the motor any way because it is operating at higher temps than it was designed to operate at and wear between parts is greatly increased. I use to build high tolerance components as a Tool Maker for Husky, J&J, Tradesco, Omega, HP, Motorola so on and so forth. I had to built stuff to work best at a certain temp that they would run at. This was critical for a 10+ million cycle life expectancy, other wise the components would die early in their life.

As far as F or C gauges, you need to get what your most comfy with.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
My oil temps run around 200 to 220 most of the time (sending unit is installed pre-cooler). If it's real cold out (around freezing is real cold for me), it will be down close to 180. Do those temps sound ok?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Starting to get hot here... been 110* + for a few weeks now...

Highest oil temp has been 225*, oil pressure is 60+ PSI at 65mph cruising. Zero oil pressure fluctuation since my cooler install. Coolant stays 180-185*.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Mine is staying right at 190ish until I get on it, then up to 210-220 quick. Never stay in it that long to go above