Info: Oil Pump vibrations???

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Anybody hear of vibrations stemming from the oil pump? It's a "humm", like an orbital sander on a peice of plywood... sorry best i can describe it.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
do you have low oil? or is it your trans making that noise when its cold out? or low ps fluid?

I checked all the run of the mill stuff, i am way past that process. I can say it "lightens up" a little after warmed up. To this point i have re routed the exhaust, unbolted the motor mounts, checked motor mount stand to frame connections, checked flex bolts, starter to frame pinch and starter to dipstick tube, converter, water pump, jacked the motor left to right and right to left looking for pinches, boost tubes/boost tubes to core support, been over the entire front end with a camera (visual) and all over it with a 3/4" hose to ear. The process to this point is several months long. It is something to do with the oil pump sorry to say.

hot, cold, idle, WOT, before a run, after a run and decelerating i always have a buzz. This is not the stock oil pump, i have one of the 1st six... know what i mean? Anybody hear of issues with it being noisy?

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
relief hmmm? as in fluttering due to pressure? I would have to put in shims to avoid the flutter right? I can't do anymore pressure, part throttle hot is 90+ lbs.

Wish i had her running while you were here.. dammit Man!

Wassup with the minion gig? :confused: Inside "sheeple" joke?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Maybe its something like the reman's water pump issues with the cut of the gear teeth being a bit off??? (Sorry, cant explain it any better)

Last edited:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
relief hmmm? as in fluttering due to pressure? I would have to put in shims to avoid the flutter right? I can't do anymore pressure, part throttle hot is 90+ lbs.

Wish i had her running while you were here.. dammit Man!

Wassup with the minion gig? :confused: Inside "sheeple" joke?

Shims would create more pressure, orifice size may help or maybe a spring with a compression rate not so steep in relation to pressure increase to distance compressed.

Some of the guys a CompD were showing their colors. Called a few of us minions so we let them know we could care less what they said. :D

Last edited:

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Shims would create more pressure, orifice size may help or maybe a spring with a compression rate not so steep in relation to pressure increase to distance compressed.

Some of the guys a CompD were showing their colors. Called a few of us minions so we let them know we could care less what they said. :D

Thanks Mike, sorry to hear about the CompD stuff, sucks. This vibration is the least of my issues at the moment....spent all day working on the master bathroom dead tired... parked the truck partially on the grass yesterday lawn Man coming Monday... started it up "ting ta ting ting"... like a little gremlin bird chirping in my brand new charger with less than 50 miles on it.:mad::mad::mad: RPM goes up "ting" gets faster, guess i am pulling the charger again. Shoulda sent it back when the comp wheel touched the housing while i fondled it fresh outta the box.

Who is the "BW Guru" of chargers?

I should convert to a blower!!

Last edited:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Damn James that sucks. WFH :eek: Now it will be another 6 months. :eek: I'm not sure who you could send it to. You could ask Trent or Nathan.

Last edited:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
It's kinda odd how you had two turbos go, both with the chirp noises and of course the one tore up pretty bad. What kinda oil pressure are you getting to the turbo? Just wonder if you have a lack of oil to the thing?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Thanks Mike, sorry to hear about the CompD stuff, sucks. This vibration is the least of my issues at the moment....spent all day working on the master bathroom dead tired... parked the truck partially on the grass yesterday lawn Man coming Monday... started it up "ting ta ting ting"... like a little gremlin bird chirping in my brand new charger with less than 50 miles on it.:mad::mad::mad: RPM goes up "ting" gets faster, guess i am pulling the charger again. Shoulda sent it back when the comp wheel touched the housing while i fondled it fresh outta the box.

Who is the "BW Guru" of chargers?

I should convert to a blower!!

who did your turbo is you dont mind me asking?

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
I have one of the dpr oil pumps not sure if it was one of the first six and no noise so far but i only have 12k miles on it no shims in the relief and i drilled out all the ball and springs on the oil jet bolts i see hot wot runs at 75-80.

I did have to grind off some on my front cover to make the oil pump fit/not touch the cover that may be what your hearing.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
It's kinda odd how you had two turbos go, both with the chirp noises and of course the one tore up pretty bad. What kinda oil pressure are you getting to the turbo? Just wonder if you have a lack of oil to the thing?

Texting with the builder Sunday night, Chris at Engineered Diesel, he is gonna take a look at it, he has always been a stand up guy I expect nothing less here. I feel confident he'll take acare of me.

Oil pressure? My pressure scares me. I didn't put a gauge on it (turbo feed) that i remember, but it fills up a 1 litre bottle at idle quickly and with force. I thought i may have had an oiling issue prior so i increased the line size and re tested with the bottle, no noticable difference in pressure but the bottle filled up faster. Not rocket science testing but... point of reference.

I am thinking that i need oil control, the hole the oil drains out is WAY bigger than the hole that the oil is delivered in. Common sense tells me that the only oil i get on the shaft is either a direct hit or inadvertant splatter...

Last edited: