Oil Pump Location

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Can someone tell me where the oil pump is located on the LB7? I looked at the threads in the GM specs and couldn't find the location (just how to check it).

Also, where is the oil anti-drain back valve located? Is it in the engine?

Appreciate the help!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
How difficult is the oil pump to take off?

Any ideas on the oil anti-drain back valve?

difficult. motor has to come out.

im not sure what you mean by anti-drainback valve. There is one in the oil filter itself, but nothing in the engine's lubrication or oil pump.

ben

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
IMO pull the motor or at the very least pull off all the front stuff ( Grill ,Rad intercooler ) It would be a fairly big job

As far as the anti drain back I assume that is the relief valve....If that is the case it can be removed in less than 5 minutes

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
IMO pull the motor or at the very least pull off all the front stuff ( Grill ,Rad intercooler ) It would be a fairly big job

As far as the anti drain back I assume that is the relief valve....If that is the case it can be removed in less than 5 minutes

simon the relief valve has nothing to do really with preventing the oil from draining back when the engine is off as far as I know.

To get the oil pump out you either have to pull the motor or drop the entire front suspension out of the truck. You cant get at it from the front with the motor in the truck..............

Last edited:

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Thanks for the info guys. The reason I ask is I am still having trouble with no oil pressure at start up in the morning. After starting the truck there is no oil pressure. After about 5 seconds, check low oil pressure comes on in message center for split second, goes off, and oil pressure comes up to ~80. Everything is normal after that. It even did this after I had the block heater plugged in one night.

I was asking about the oil anti-drain back valve because the oil pressure is acting the same way just after the oil/oil filter has been changed. I changed the oil filter a few months ago, just after I had an oil analysis done. If it's in the oil filter, I may just have a defective oil filter. However, you mentioned a relief valve. Where is it located?

Sorry for the book but I need to get this figured out before I do something back to my truck.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
simon the relief valve has nothing to do really with preventing the oil from draining back when the engine is off as far as I know.

To get the oil pump out you either have to pull the motor or drop the entire front suspension out of the truck. You cant get at it from the front with the motor in the truck..............

After what you guys have said, I hope it's not my oil pump. My thinking is it isn't because the oil pressure is fine after the initial start up in the morning. If it were the oil pump, I figure I would have this problem all the time.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah

x2 , the upper and lower pan have to come off as well as the front cover to get the oil pump out , it would be far faster to pull the motor than to do it in the truck .

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

Ben your probably right, I was trying to think of what would stop the oil from flowing back and just threw it out there

And I would pull the motor if it was me....but could you not loosen the pan bolts enough? Or would you even have to do that? They have 2 dowels right? once the front seal is removed wouldnt that give you enough clearance to pull the front cover?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ben your probably right, I was trying to think of what would stop the oil from flowing back and just threw it out there

And I would pull the motor if it was me....but could you not loosen the pan bolts enough? Or would you even have to do that? They have 2 dowels right? once the front seal is removed wouldnt that give you enough clearance to pull the front cover?

no because the upper pan HAS to come off. to get the upper pan off you have to pull the rear cover, flywheel, etc. You also have to pull the front suspension, differential, and crossmembers.

forget it. yank it out. :)

ben

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
no because the upper pan HAS to come off. to get the upper pan off you have to pull the rear cover, flywheel, etc. You also have to pull the front suspension, differential, and crossmembers.

forget it. yank it out. :)

ben
i agree Ben but i cant say its imposible ,
you can get the lower pan off without pulling the rear cover but you have to loosen the 2 rear bolts that go through the rear cover with a hammer / chissel , and tighten them the same way . but the lower pan would have to come down enough to get the 2 nuts off for the oil pick up tube , with those nuts off the oil pump could come out the front . but considering you can pull the motor in 3-5 hours it is a whole lot faster to pull it then screwing around for 8 hours trying to avoid 4 hours worth of work .

dmaxlover

Mar 17, 2007
WI
The oil pump is circled in red. You could remove the front cover off without removing the oil pan 1st, but the seal between the oil pan and front cover won't be worth a damn, since you'd have to slide the front cover through the RTV.

Attachments

• motor pics 069 a.jpg
    motor pics 069 a.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 119

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
The oil pump is circled in red. You could remove the front cover off without removing the oil pan 1st, but the seal between the oil pan and front cover won't be worth a damn, since you'd have to slide the front cover through the RTV.

The pic helped tremendously. Thanks for posting it.