Oil priming after build - leave glow plugs out?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
There's different grades of red depending on fastener size

^^this. dont use the 272 used for LB7 cups. it will pull the threads off anything you try to remove unless you apply a good amount of heat. I like it for studs you dont want coming out or shock end caps/eyelets.

As said before, buy new ones, dont reuse!

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
^^this. dont use the 272 used for LB7 cups. it will pull the threads off anything you try to remove unless you apply a good amount of heat. I like it for studs you dont want coming out or shock end caps/eyelets.

As said before, buy new ones, dont reuse!

Yup, I believe I used Loctite 271 but can't confirm. I'm planning on using heat just to be safe when I pull my trans out in a few weeks on my built motor truck.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
I thought it was blue loctite and torqued to 60lbs? Can you confirm it's red?

I intended on using the old bolts as I read several posts where others have done that.

When one of the best Allison builders in the world keeps telling us to spend $20 bucks on new converter bolts on a $20,000 eng & trany build , I vote we pay attention , just saying !

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
He told me to clean them up and reuse if the threads looked good.
If you knew who torqued them any time they were torqued and wanted to chance it , that is your choice . I never even asked Evan if he put new ones in mine when he did it , but if I ever need it refreshed , they will be new for sure .

Sep 19, 2012
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think the only reason I considered reusing the torque converter bolts is because I believe I read Mike L said it was okay to reuse. I know new is probably preferably but these aren't stretch bolts or anything so I'll reuse them.

As for the loctite I'm going to use blue. Red makes me nervous. :eek:

Sep 19, 2012
I do have another question. The bracket that's at the top of the bellhousing. It goes on the stud of that god awful top BH bolt. Does it serve any purpose? I can't see any and I'd rather save the patience for something else. I guess I'm being lazy...

Thanks,

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think the only reason I considered reusing the torque converter bolts is because I believe I read Mike L said it was okay to reuse. I know new is probably preferably but these aren't stretch bolts or anything so I'll reuse them.

As for the loctite I'm going to use blue. Red makes me nervous. :eek:

If red Loctite makes you nervous , you need to get a bottle of Tums prior to turning the key ! Good luck though ! Let us know how it goes !