baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
That run up the canyon was the best thing to do. Next time you do that there will be a difference.
It takes heat, and pressure to fully plate the moly to all the metal sufaces inside the engine.
That is actually the fifth time I have gone up that canyon in the last 800 miles and I have towed the boat up a different canyon with a long 6% grade but it was 4:30 in the morning and the outside temps at the summit were only 48 so I did not post results because I want the testing criteria to be as close as possible. But it is supposed to be in the triple digit temps all week so I will run the canyon every day seeing that it is only five min away from work and we will see what happens.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
So, is there a specific kit already put together for us diesel garage hero's, or do you have to find all the parts and make something work?
I like cool oil.
Look at some modern semi trucks. A western star i peeked at, had an oil cooling system almost as big as the radiator(not really, it was the size of the rad in my lbz tho), the bypass filter system is just stupid too.
Tells me that dedicated tow or performance rig should have that chit too, in an equal proportion.

If you read the thread you will find the info to put a kit together also there is a DIY thread on how to put the kit I have together part numbers and all.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Well that was entirely less than UN-helpful
The thread is like what 33 pages now? I have read it before several times, as it frequents the recent threads list
I was just lookin for a vendor that may sell a nicely put together package, is all
Thanks for the help

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Ok it wasnt un-helpful
That was supposed to be comical, sounded more like a dick
Anyways read(past tense) the thread in its entirety
Lots and lots of good info, wow
Now it looks like about a grand will cover my needs(wants)i know it can be done a little cheaper
cheezus
Ive been a member for a month, my mad money is no longer
all of a sudden i have a "need" for a whole bunch a stuff a month ago i didn't know existed
Half the things i had planned for that mad money didn't get purchased, cuz a month ago i decided to join before i made some expensive mistakes
Thanks to all who provide products, insight, info and help here at DD

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Ive been a member for a month, my mad money is no longer
all of a sudden i have a "need" for a whole bunch a stuff a month ago i didn't know existed
That's something this site does to people, lol. If I hadn't joined this site and seen what people have done to to their trucks, what can be done, and what can be improved, I would still be running a mild tune only, and perfectly happy.

In retrospect, I'm surprised I held out as long as I did.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
This is the link to the DIY I said to look up.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40544&highlight=OIL+COOLING

I do not know of a vendor on this site that sells a full oil cooler system I could be wrong though.
Also I was able to get the fittings and hose for cheaper on Ebay then through summit.

Thanks man! I am eager to get this one going, i think it could be the single most important mod i will do.
I gotta say, for the record, i am really disappointed in gm on this one. They could have done soo much better, and they know better

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Hey SUPER DIESEL
I have neen meaning to ask this since before i was a member
What does that statement mean
for real power remove the static wire from the ovulation bearing and let her run
i am almost afraid of the answer for many reasons but
flame suit on

05 3500 2wd

Crusing it
Aug 3, 2008
Pueblo, Co
Omg

Now that I am scared to start my truck....hahaha looks like I need to get some stuff. I too am in Colorado down in Pueblo and see higher temps here and have to pull grades to get to anyplace we want to go.

Looks like I need an oil temp gauge, and some Schaeffer’s oil.

Where is it best to get the oil temp gauge from?

Where is it best to get the Schaeffer’s oil from? What Schaeffer’s oil would be best? I know there is a dealer posting in this thread in WY I think and one in Canada.

PMs welcome.

I had already started rounding up oil cooler parts before I found this thread in a link on the DF forum where I spend most of my truck forum time. I am currently waiting on the oil filter adapter and mocal thermostat. I already have the setrab 72 row diagonal pass cooler.

I just finished installing the V2 radiator a few weeks back and it made a big difference in the coolant temps and oil pressure is better than before but I also increased my camper size and my jeep got taller causing a bigger wind load. I am now in the 20,000+ GVW group.

I did read the entire thread and my head is spinning with all the info, I can’t remember all I read and where it is in the thread, should have taken notes.
0421121057 (3).jpg

0708121440 (3).jpg

Attachments

• 0421121057 (3).jpg
    0421121057 (3).jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 0708121440 (3).jpg
    0708121440 (3).jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

megaboz

Apr 8, 2010
Some NAPA stores sell Schaeffer's . The guy posting about the benefits was from WV and he got banned for one reason or another, the mods can chime in they feel like it, outside of that I won't get into it. Check Schaeffer's website to find other dealers/retailers in your area.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Well I ended up making five more runs up the canyon over the last week which makes for 10 runs up it and 1 run up another canyon towing the boat and I now have close to 1200 miles on the shaeffers oil and have still seen no temp diff in my oil.
I will repeat that I am using the 7000 ser 15 40 and not the 9000 ser 5 40 like SuperDiesel and also I am running twins and not a single and have no idea if that has anything to do with it. I am going to run this oil and put it through the paces and prob have it tested at 5,000 and then maybe if all looks well test it again at 10,000. I might even try the 9000 ser and see what happens.

I installed my oil cooler last night and will be towing the boat up to flaming gorge which is around 210 miles from me and I will be pulling over parlys canyon and then over the sisters in WY and I think the temps should be in the mid to uper 90s. So it should be a good test for the new cooler to see what it will do.

05 3500 2wd

Crusing it
Aug 3, 2008
Pueblo, Co
Thanks for the recommendation. I have in my possession the oil temp gauge that I am going to try to get installed before this Sunday when I will be running up to Denver from Pueblo over Monument hill at probably 75mph hauling my large slide in camper.
I have my cooler in possession and waiting on the oil filter adapter and mocal stat. The Schaeffer’s oil is on its way. I to am going to be running the 7000 15w-40. They claim the additive package is better on the 7000 synthetic blend than the 9000 full synthetic. I also think in the event that I am in a bind, need some oil, regular oil will be more compatible with a blend, but I have never checked that theory.

05 3500 2wd

Crusing it
Aug 3, 2008
Pueblo, Co
Well I ended up making five more runs up the canyon over the last week which makes for 10 runs up it and 1 run up another canyon towing the boat and I now have close to 1200 miles on the shaeffers oil and have still seen no temp diff in my oil.
I will repeat that I am using the 7000 ser 15 40 and not the 9000 ser 5 40 like SuperDiesel and also I am running twins and not a single and have no idea if that has anything to do with it. I am going to run this oil and put it through the paces and prob have it tested at 5,000 and then maybe if all looks well test it again at 10,000. I might even try the 9000 ser and see what happens.

I installed my oil cooler last night and will be towing the boat up to flaming gorge which is around 210 miles from me and I will be pulling over parlys canyon and then over the sisters in WY and I think the temps should be in the mid to uper 90s. So it should be a good test for the new cooler to see what it will do.

I hope the cooler works well for you. As for the Schaeffer's not making any difference yet, in my research for my Schaeffer's oil change out, I received this information. After you have run the oil for a short period you may need to change the oil filter and top back off with Schaeffer's. Any engine that has been running any type of oil that is not Paraffinc, or most full synthetics from the get go, will have sludge and varnish built up all over. Some of it is even almost clear as that is the additives sludge, which is a different problem that oil sludge and has a huge effect on engines as most additives are made of some form of plastics. Any type of contamination can hinder the Moly’s ability to plate up well. Once the junk is cleaned up, then the moly can do its work.

I should be getting and changing to the Scheaffers 7000 15w40 this week.

I got my temp gauge in Saturday and ran from Pueblo To Denver and back today for the Mile High Nationals. Oil temp normally ran 30 deg above coolant. Coolant ran between 192 and 202. The oil did climb to 245 when the outside temp was 100 and heading up the back of monument.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Ok took the boat up to Flaming Gorge over the weekend.
Like before I think the dry weight of the boat is 4200# and add 80gal of fuel, 15gal of water, trailer and all of our fishing crap.

Before the oil cooler results. Post #470
Highway cruising Ect 197-200 EOT 220-232.
Same canyon and 100 at the bottom and 90 at the top.
Held it at 75mph around 1800rpm and 30-35 psi of boost.
Oil is Delo 15 40

Tow tune.
EGT-1220.
ECT- Bottom 203 Top 240.
Trans-Bottom tick under 200 Top tickover 200.
EOT- Bottom 225 Top 283.
EOP- Bottom 38 Top 25.

After the oil cooler results.
Highway cruising Ect 192-197 EOT 200-216.
Same canyon and 85 at the bottom and 76 at the top.
Held it at 75mph around 1800rpm and 30-35 psi of boost.
Shaeffers supr 7000 15 40

Tow tune.
EGT-1240.
ECT- Bottom 192 Top 210.
Trans-Bottom 2 ticks under 200 Top 1 tick under 200.
EOT- Bottom 206 Top 244.
EOP- Bottom forgot to look Top 37.

The canyon I pulled the boat over that I talked about in post #481 before the oil cooler. I did not look at the bottom so there is only top results.
Outside temp at the top was 48 deg
Tow tune.
EGT-1235.
ECT- Top 228.
Trans- Top 1 tick under 200.
EOT- Top 263.
EOP- Top 32.

As you can see the outside temps were a little cooler going over parleys canyon but even compared to the other canyon I ran that was 48 deg outside temp it was still much cooler with the oil cooler.
Running over the sisters in WY the oil temp never even hit 225 but they are not as long of a pull as parleys canyon is.
In final.
Cruising.
EOT dropped up to 32 deg
ECT dropped up to 8 deg
Pulling.
EOT dropped up to 39 deg
ECT dropped up to 30 deg

Take them how you will but I must say that I am very happy with the results from the oil cooler on my truck.

Thanks to all that put this info together.

Last edited:

BH in AZ

Jul 10, 2010
I was looking at adding a sensor to my insight using their (Edge) temp sensor. Anyone see anything wrong with that?

link to sensor: http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=160&pvk=445

I was wondering if you or anyone else with an EDGE CS/CTS product has done this and how it worked out.

If so were there any issues with the EDGE temp probe restricting oil flow and what did you use for an adapter to get from the 1/2 inch size of the plug hole to the 1/8 size of the probe (and where did you get it)?

Thanks.

BH in AZ

Jul 10, 2010
Adapter for Edge Temp Sensor and Edge CTS CS Insight

Hondarider .... Thanks for responding. You, Super Diesel and several others have made a good case for monitoring oil temp on this site and the DP site. I do not know if I need an oil cooler for what I tow, but until I monitor the oil temp, I am just guessing. I had thought if the coolant temp was in check, so was the oil temp. Now I know that may not be true.

I did some searching and found that Summit sells an adapter kit from Sunpro. It consists of three adapters 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" NPT To 1/8" NPT threads. It looks like the 1/2" adapter should work. Summit lists the Sunpro part number as ACP7553 but the package shows CP7553. Amazon also lists it, but the picture does not match the description. I ordered it from Amazon today to use as a filler to get free shipping on an air filter. I may also look locally for 1/2" NPT to a 1/8" NPT reducer depending on how slow Amazon is in shipping my order.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUN-CP7553/

I also placed an order with Alligator Performance for the Edge temp sensor and the Universal wiring harness to work with the Edge Insight CTS. The rep there thought the EDGE temp sensor should work for the filter housing location. He agreed that the 10mm plug is a tight fit!

"Not the fastest dmax in AZ" :woott:

Attachments

• Sunpro Adapter CP7553.jpg
    Sunpro Adapter CP7553.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited: