Official Blown Motor Thread

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Because the info is already here if you look for it. Ill give you a hint.. has to do with cranks breaking.

I'm not looking for blown motors because of a broken crank failure. I'm specifically looking for Lbz piston related failures but all are good as well.

I started this thread to hopefully talk about some good tech, if you don't want to contribute any good info (which you and bac are more than knowledgable in this department) than why say anything at all?

jliddle

Jun 30, 2012
NC
Yea. Returning it back to stock and selling it. Keeping all my goodies though for another build down the road.

03_DMAX

Aug 15, 2010
s366,45s, wicked stage3 pump

lasted 3 weeks of thrashing it hard on the street bent all 8 rods

L0B6Z

Oct 19, 2013
oxford ny
What turbo are you running?

stock stix, stock cp3, 4094 stage2 66mm wheel. At the end of the run while I'm pulling away it'll sit at 1400 for a few.. It'll hit 1100 np driven up a hill even down shifting in my light tow tune, or my 150dd tune.. Got all 3" pipes and bridge, lml mani etc

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
What has me perplexed is how some lbz's run 11's and are fine, wheras others don't last long enough to add another cp3. There has to be something related other than it being completely random.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
17hp briggs & Stratton engine. 100% stock. Co-worker ran it out off oil. Broke the rod in half and sent chunks out of the block. I did the fine tuning to get it to idle smooth. Lasted about 5 years and 400 hours at that power level. Unit was used mainly in the summer an the fall.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
17hp briggs & Stratton engine. 100% stock. Co-worker ran it out off oil. Broke the rod in half and sent chunks out of the block. I did the fine tuning to get it to idle smooth. Lasted about 5 years and 400 hours at that power level. Unit was used mainly in the summer an the fall.

Hahaha nice.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah

Sounds solid. :)

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
What has me perplexed is how some lbz's run 11's and are fine, wheras others don't last long enough to add another cp3. There has to be something related other than it being completely random.

Yea its called a lack in quality control from factory parts.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
If it's not a broken crank across all engines then its a cracked piston in a lbz... They are practically made of cardboard it's obvious that's the problem. Some of them hold better then others because not every piston was built exactly the same.

Besides Tue pistons are letting go at a way lower HP then cranks... For theost part.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Bent all 8 rods with weak stock cp3, twins, lift pump and big tune racing Brian and Steve. I was told and read I was at a "safe" level. Well at that point we were just starting discussions and bringing to light about torque and it killing the rods. Big tires and no down shift from 5th gear did mine in from torque.

Since then I built it better and just got back from a 1000 mile road trip with 12k toyhauler on the back up many steep hills (from az to silverton co) and back without a hiccup on my 600hp tow tune. 26k on the motor and I still use her like the truck is suppose to be lol

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Drilled a hole in this one just to see how thick it actually was and was Suprise at how thick it really was. 11mm thick at the top of the combustion chamber.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
There is a bullet proof stock LMM floating around Illinois now, somebody should buy it! Lol

I don't really care about the stock motor failures, it's a risk you take as you add power. Deal with it. I have a stock lbz motor on stand by, it can happen at any time. ;)

Hell you don't have to add power. I've seen powerstrokes, cummins and duramax's all have failures at low power levels.

I drove the ever living sh*t out of my LMM and it only had a cp3 fail on the motor, couldn't ask for more reliability with what it went through. I'm confident a lot of it had to do with Josh's tuning and his attention to detail with drivability. So smooth! :thumb: lots of luck too!!!