Official Blown Motor Thread

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Okay so I'm looking to gather info on motors, more specifically Lbz but any will do. When yours blew what mods were done to it, what hp and 1/4 mile time, how many miles, who tuned it, what blew in the motor, how long it lasted at that power level, daily driver or not, etc.

Hopefully from this we can see what works and what obviously isn't working out too well. Maybe there are some dots that can be connected and linked back to motor failures. This could go nowhere, but it's worth a shot and regardless it would be a great information thread.

Thanks,
Caden

*i put this thread here because it seemed most fitting but if a mod thinks it belongs somewhere else feel free to move it

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You've been here long enough to know what blows these engines up. Most people tell what happened in their build threads.

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
4094 turbo,rdl uppipes,exhaust, k and n intake,egr delete, 60 overs,single stock cp3. The night it blew I was running 8.0-8.2 1/8th mile passes. It was about 92 degrees at 10 p.m. Cracked #7.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Ive heard high egt's contribute to cracked pistons especially LBZ's. One of the reasons I went with a big single fixed charger was I felt my EGT's would be lowest with this setup. It seems the variable chargers tend to run with higher temps and also the small fixed chargers. I'd be interested to know charger setups on failed engines it would be hard to contribute a turbo setup to a failure but would still be interesting info.

jliddle

Jun 30, 2012
NC
s475, 60's, wicked cp3, studs, profab. Ran ~6k miles on the street. Switched tunes from Diesel Addiction to PPEI and it broke #7 rod in half, putting two holes in the block.

jliddle

Jun 30, 2012
NC
We dyno'ed at Rudys in March on that exact setup w/ Korys tunes ( that didnt feel no where near as strong as Dustins ) and it made 697/1100ish

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Ive heard high egt's contribute to cracked pistons especially LBZ's. One of the reasons I went with a big single fixed charger was I felt my EGT's would be lowest with this setup. It seems the variable chargers tend to run with higher temps and also the small fixed chargers. I'd be interested to know charger setups on failed engines it would be hard to contribute a turbo setup to a failure but would still be interesting info.

I've seen a truck bury their 1600* gauge making a pass. They asked their tuner and he said if it doesn't have high egt's then it's not fueling hard enough. Granted it was a 118mph pass. Mine is around 1500-1600 at the end of a pass as well.

jliddle

Jun 30, 2012
NC
Torque seems low enough, luck of the draw I guess?

IMO it was the later tunes that did it in. It was on Dustins tunes for 2 years before grenading on Korys. It had a bad rattle at certain RPM's on his tunes that we were trying to cure.

But I am no expert so take my diagnosis with a grain of salt haha

L0B6Z

Oct 19, 2013
oxford ny
maybe we can also see if any sled pullers have blown a motor pulling? I don't drag race but pull alot.. 1700 is a common weekend thing for me, 3 times a night.. I've gone higher

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
IMO it was the later tunes that did it in. It was on Dustins tunes for 2 years before grenading on Korys. It had a bad rattle at certain RPM's on his tunes that we were trying to cure.

But I am no expert so take my diagnosis with a grain of salt haha
Well that sux, You got it back together and sorted out?