November '22 Chat -- A gravy train? A gravy boat? Its ALL gravy!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I do not fly as a general rule. Scares me shitless. Only been on an airplane 3 times. Had to have multiple drinks beforehand to even get on the plane the last two. That said, Im planning a trip down to Austin, TX in February to visit old HS friends, and I have questions.

1) Delta or American?
2) Comfort+ (Premium Economy) or splurge for Business/First class? Price diff is $200 each way ($400 total)
3) Pay the extra for the refundable ticket?

I did find that if I fly out of our local airport (Lansing), thats it CHEAPER than driving to Detroit and flying out from there. WTH?
I don’t fly a lot. Although if it was $400 to go first class over economy is do it in a heart beat. Especially if you are not comfortable on flights

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Next work trip I am thinking about asking if I can drive. Don’t know if they would let me though.
When we were kids my dad had a business trip for computer training in Albuquerque. It was during the summer time so we were out of school. He asked if in lieu of flying and staying in a hotel that we could take the trailer and stay at a KOA.
They approved. I don’t know if they paid for the whole thing or gave us the price for flight/hotel and we paid the difference. I think we were there for 2 weeks. Nice little summer time vacation. Plus he still got a rental car so we drove that everywhere.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i hate flying as well. it aint the claustrophobia, its the fact im not in control. im usually a few beers deep before boarding.

Also, exit seats are awesome if you can get them. all the room at half the cost.

Reactions: Pure Diesel

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I do not fly as a general rule. Scares me shitless. Only been on an airplane 3 times. Had to have multiple drinks beforehand to even get on the plane the last two. That said, Im planning a trip down to Austin, TX in February to visit old HS friends, and I have questions.

1) Delta or American?
2) Comfort+ (Premium Economy) or splurge for Business/First class? Price diff is $200 each way ($400 total)
3) Pay the extra for the refundable ticket?

I did find that if I fly out of our local airport (Lansing), thats it CHEAPER than driving to Detroit and flying out from there. WTH?
My last job required me to travel semi frequently.

1. American over Delta hands down. Delta= Lost luggage, Delays, Flights cancelations/ or reschedules. I have had 1 or 2 instances with other brands. Hands down, Every time I had to fly them, It's either Lost luggage or an issue causing a delay/reschedule of the flight.
2. First Class Hands down when reasonably possible. Your First on and First off. Also the most Comfort on the plane especially for long flights. the Beer was free Prior to the Pandemic. Not sure if that has changed. Haven't been in first class since.
3. Only if you plan to re book or think you might not be able to keep to your schedule.

Some times to be competitive the small airports charge less. Larger cities usually have higher Taxes and more local fees they tack on. But usually they have more flight options that lower the cost per flight.

On average I usually pay around $100 each way more to fly out of SNA or LGB per flight. How ever it's an additional 1 Hour each way of travel time to get to LAX Not to mention all the other Hassle's when your there... To me it's $100 Well Spent !!!

Side note: The last time I took a long flight that I was able to get a first class ticket, I drank all the free beer on the 1st segment in First class, so the stewardess brought me 2 beers back to coach on the 2nd half of the flight. :ROFLMAO: Every one was so Upset I got free beer in coach !!! Best Flight Ever!!!
I could only upgrade the first segment of the flight the second half was sold out already.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
10 miles from grannies and blew an intercooler boot. Wasn’t running it hard, just pop under a pull up a hill.

Limping it there and will fix it after lunch 🤣

I haven’t had the boots off in like 50k miles and a couple years. So I guess it was just wanting to make me work on it

Reactions: gmduramax

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Last day fir November chat.. I’m worn out. It’s been a wild month, next month looks to be the same plus all the Christmas travel 💩

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
getting some good snow here at the house today. started about 3pm.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.