Noob EFI Live tune option questions

IronDX

Jun 14, 2013
Im close to buying a 06 LBZ truck (hopefully) soon. Id want to get EFI Live with somes tunes. Id want forsure a Econ tune, Tow tune, & im not sure on the others. A few questions.

1. Will the Econ, & Tow tune be ok to run on a stock trans?

2. What exactly is the Optimized stock tune? Does it add any extra HP? or is it a Econ tune itself?

3. I also plan to get (when save up more money) a Edge CTS device to monitor stuff, but If I just stick with the Optimized stock tune (for the time being) do I need to get a Edge CTS device to monitor EGTs & etc? If I can avoid getting the CTS device (for now) it would help my wallet out.

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
Gauges or CTS is gonna be around the same price if you go with a decent set of gauges that is... Reguardless I wont put any kind of tuning on my truck unless I have these gauges to be able to watch and see what my truck is doing in case of any problems. As far as EFI goes if you with some basic tunes from some of the big name guys such as ATP and Kory they will set your truck up to be as safe as you want!

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Im close to buying a 06 LBZ truck (hopefully) soon. Id want to get EFI Live with somes tunes. Id want forsure a Econ tune, Tow tune, & im not sure on the others. A few questions.

1. Will the Econ, & Tow tune be ok to run on a stock trans?

2. What exactly is the Optimized stock tune? Does it add any extra HP? or is it a Econ tune itself?

3. I also plan to get (when save up more money) a Edge CTS device to monitor stuff, but If I just stick with the Optimized stock tune (for the time being) do I need to get a Edge CTS device to monitor EGTs & etc? If I can avoid getting the CTS device (for now) it would help my wallet out.

Tony and myself we still have the summer sale going on autocals and pretuned ecm's.

List of bundle sales on post 14
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49085

Autocal and bundle and ons
http://cotnp.com/COTNPRR-Moonshine-...DSP5-Switch-and-5-tunes-emailed-P3050509.aspx

Pretuned ECM can make bundle with these also
http://cotnp.com/2006-2007-LBZ-Pre-Tuned-ECM-P2968376.aspx

IronDX

Jun 14, 2013
Thanks for the info guys. So would I be fine (for now) just keeping it on the Optimized stock tune setting without gauges? Im just trying to save some money until I can save up some more money. Im trying to do this in stages. Id hate to spend so much money up front, so quick. Paying for EFI Live, a exhaust system, & then get some gauges or CTS. So I figured if I just get the tuning & exhaust keep it on the Optimized stock tune Id be fine. Id get some gauges asap just not right now.

brandon06dmax

the reckoning
Apr 29, 2013
jactionville nc
if you order trans safe tunes and keep it in optimized stock and you will be fine but I wouldn't turn it up until you do gauges and my buddy has glowshift gauges and no they are not the best but a good budget gauge and they work well

IronDX

Jun 14, 2013
Ok thanks. I dont plan to run any other tune (but optimized stock) until I get gauges.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
You can run any tune your stock trans can handle without gauges. You'll be fine. Things don't get scary hot until you are at a power level that would ruin a stock trans in very short order.

Black Bessie

Oct 31, 2013
ohio
I was told that if you stay under 100hp tune that your trans should be safe. But we all know how word of mouth can be:rofl:

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
There is no answer to what an Allison will handle in any given truck. The transmission is a wear item and they will limp with stock HP if not taken care of. All we can do is go by averages, talk to the customer and find out the history of the truck (year/model, miles, abuse, history, towing) and then work with the customer on the needs and goals of the truck and make an educated guess. The DSP 5 option is nice as the user can have stock tranny safe tuning along with a tune that may be on the edge if desired for stop light fun.

werewolf

Apr 27, 2012
eastern Noth Carolina
There is no answer to what an Allison will handle in any given truck. The transmission is a wear item and they will limp with stock HP if not taken care of. All we can do is go by averages, talk to the customer and find out the history of the truck (year/model, miles, abuse, history, towing) and then work with the customer on the needs and goals of the truck and make an educated guess. The DSP 5 option is nice as the user can have stock tranny safe tuning along with a tune that may be on the edge if desired for stop light fun.

Listen to this man. He is one of the best when it comes to tuning these trucks. Personally I haven't had gauges since I tuned my truck. On my list that haven't got here yet. Don't beat my truck up either. I run korys 150 all day everyday and haven't had any problems to date. But as rob mentioned it will come down to each individual trans. Personally I'm waiting for mine to go so I can get it built. Only way the wife will let me.

Jul 24, 2013
jacksonville nc
Listen to this man. He is one of the best when it comes to tuning these trucks. Personally I haven't had gauges since I tuned my truck. On my list that haven't got here yet. Don't beat my truck up either. I run korys 150 all day everyday and haven't had any problems to date. But as rob mentioned it will come down to each individual trans. Personally I'm waiting for mine to go so I can get it built. Only way the wife will let me.

^ I'm in the same boat with the wife! :thumb: within the next couple of weeks I will be giving kory a call to get some efi in my truck! I'm looking forward to it!

04 Lb7 cc/SB new guy to the forum