No start/no crank/Delay before start issue Help!!!

Garrett2006

Dec 16, 2020
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 4wd Crew Cab. Truck is all stock with 86,000 miles. I’m second owner & no previous problems that I’m aware of & none since I have owned it until now.

I noticed last Saturday after driving pulling skid steer to job site that when we took break for lunch that I had to hold the key in the start position for longer than normal. The temperature was 70 degrees. We went a few places and it seemed to get worse. Anyway finished the job and came come. Played with itsome at the house and at times it would not start. Read online a few things about the fuel filter head loosing prime. Next morning I tried that and it still took longer to start.Go forward to Monday morning it took about 3 try’s to get it started. Monday at lunch I primed the fuel filter head & I didn’t think the truck was going to start. Finically it did. I left it running while going into the store. That afternoon I had the batteries tested & found that one needed replaced so I replaced it there in store parking lot. All good after the truck was starting as it should no issues.

going into Tuesday (yesterday) truck done fine in the morning. It’s way colder yesterday morning & glow plug light came on I waited until it’s off then truck started fine. Lunch time truck done fine. Leaving work to run do a small excavator job truck started fine, but after Job and time to go home I turned key & truck didn’t start. I tried agin and it was 5 seconds before the starter engaged. Got home messed with it turning on and off same thing a long delay having to hold key before truck fires up. Now once starter engages it fires right up.

This morning same thing 1st try nothing all lights come on and gauges cycle then I try and nothing. I did notice the check engine light stays on while gauges go out when nothing happens. Turn key off position try agin and hold in start 3-5 seconds & truck fires up. I should note that when it starts it runs great no issues. Also, the times I have manually pumped the fuel filter head assembly it primes up hard as a rock. I have to push it anywhere from 3-5 times then it firms up.

why would the new battery fix this for one & 1/2 days then start back agin? It just don’t seem fuel related to me, but I’m no export so, looking for help on here as to where to start relays, fuel filter head etc... hopefully someone will have a fix for it. Thanks!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
What does the security light do during this no start or crank condition? Did you get the alternator tested? If the alternator is bad and not outputting proper voltage then a new battery will slowly get pulled down and start to show issues again days later.

Also, it is a good idea, but not absolutely necessary, to replace the batteries in pares as a new one will have lower internal resistance compared to the older one. This will cause the new battery to provide most of the cranking current and wear it down faster then if both are new.

Garrett2006

Dec 16, 2020
On the times it doest crank nor start the engine light just stays on. On the times it has a delay, it cranks and fires right up after e delay the light is off and never comes back on. Gauge is showing 14 volts when running.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Not too concerned about the engine light right now. What we want you to pay attention to is the passlock light like in the attached image.

For voltage, you need to use a separate meter and test the battery voltage before, during cranking and after it's running. The one on the dash is not accurate enough
Chevy_Security_Light_Amber~01.jpg

Garrett2006

Dec 16, 2020
Honestly I haven’t noticed that light before, but soon as off work when I get in truck I’ll look and see it if it’s on of so the times that’s it on. Thanks!