No mph gauge after clutch job

ZF6DMAX12

Feb 23, 2017
Plant City FL
Hello guys I recently replaced the clutch on my zf6 05 duramax with a dual disc. After the job my speedometer does not work anymore. I have had the stepper motors done in the past so I know they are fine as it stopped after the clutch job. I have replaced the output speed sensor on the transfer case and it did not work. What else could be causing this issue for me I am seriously at a loss right now. Thank you for your help

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
Did you forget to plug in the speed sensor on the transfer case?

I have pulled mine out to use the hole for refilling with fluid and forgot to plug it back in before.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Does a scan tool read MPH at the ECU? If the scan tool shows MPH, the problem is between the ECU and the cluster. If the ECU doesn't show speed either, the problem is between the speed sensor and the ECU. Just track the wire and look for damage to the harness.

ZF6DMAX12

Feb 23, 2017
Plant City FL
Thanks for the help guys I will check all that tomorrow and see. But yes I did plug it back in once I replaced the speed sensor with a new one. We'll see if I get any findings

ZF6DMAX12

Feb 23, 2017
Plant City FL
Quick update guys I checked the speed sensor on the scan tool and it is working like it should so I imagine it's between the ecu and cluster. What wiring could I check that would cause this and or is there a specific fuse for the Mph side of the cluster?? Thank you guys for the help

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Is your trip/odometer increasing with miles driven? If trip and odo are working but the gauge isn't the issue is in the cluster.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Could me just the stepper motor. Not to difficult to repair. Search google. There are a tone of write ups. If you dont have the ability or tools, there are places to ship it to that can do it for you for much less then a new one.

Does the needle cycle down then to zero when turning on the ignition?

I did all the steppers in my 04 myself for about $10 if I remember correctly

Well known problem in those clusters