New Year's Thrash.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Be aware that is only about 30k PPD on a WU 2684, or about the same speed as CrayZ2. Early results on the i7-2600K indicate it can hit that as well.

I was getting about 18000ppd -bigadv with the 8 cores, do you think the additional 8 cores is only good for about 12000 or will it be a double ppd as compared to my 8 cores and actual throughput? If I understand the 8300 series processors, they are supposed to take the next higher speed memory as I am able to utilize with the 2300 series processors. Just curious. Thanks

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I was getting about 18000ppd -bigadv with the 8 cores, do you think the additional 8 cores is only good for about 12000 or will it be a double ppd as compared to my 8 cores and actual throughput? If I understand the 8300 series processors, they are supposed to take the next higher speed memory as I am able to utilize with the 2300 series processors. Just curious. Thanks

The 2684 (Nightmare) work unit is the only one I see data for that setup:

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=14757&start=0 Look at post 3?

It will probably hit 50k PPD on a good WU, but I can't say for sure.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
The 2684 (Nightmare) work unit is the only one I see data for that setup:

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=14757&start=0 Look at post 3?

It will probably hit 50k PPD on a good WU, but I can't say for sure.

I see these are listed at the bottom. What is worrisome is the 2393 is the 3.1ghz Opteron I was looking into. Looks to be no better than the 8356 2.3ghz keeping 8 cores respectively. My 2356's and the 2684 WU was barely at tpf of ~56 minutes. Time to spend some time researching on that site. I not must be machine optimal. :confused:

C.C.Reed

May 1, 2008
Just curious, do you already have parts to build a server?
Negative. . . I have just been looking. I have 6 computers here and only am only running 3 of them with 5 clients total. And one of those machines folding is also working as a half-*ss NAS. I can get a 42U cabinet worth a couple of $1000 alone loaded with a Linksys 8 port KVM, UPS, network switches, etc. for nothing and am thinking about stacking all of them in it out in the garage.

I am looking at building or buying a 3U or 4U server with a minimum of 12 cores (8 if they are 3Ghz or higher) and enough room for ~10 Tb of storage so I can use it for network storage yet have it be capable of folding -bigadv. . . it's a lot to ask of one machine and still have it be relatively cheap.

I will probably get the rack next week anyway. But, I figure with AMD releasing Bulldozer soon that processor prices should drop. I don't want to buy now and prices take a significant drop 2 months later. Just waiting. . . I guess.

:teknology:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
When you get a chance, post machine specs as you add them. I think more folks would be online with f@h if they knew there machines would work. As our list grows, it will be easy for us to get an idea of what to expect from our own computers. Thanks :thumb:

Laptop specs running two clients

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00Ghz

4 gb ram 64 bit OS

Office computers only one running right now, 4 total machines available just need time to set them up.

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.40 GHz .99 GB RAM

Thats all I have for specs

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Negative. . . I have just been looking. I have 6 computers here and only am only running 3 of them with 5 clients total. And one of those machines folding is also working as a half-*ss NAS. I can get a 42U cabinet worth a couple of $1000 alone loaded with a Linksys 8 port KVM, UPS, network switches, etc. for nothing and am thinking about stacking all of them in it out in the garage.

I am looking at building or buying a 3U or 4U server with a minimum of 12 cores (8 if they are 3Ghz or higher) and enough room for ~10 Tb of storage so I can use it for network storage yet have it be capable of folding -bigadv. . . it's a lot to ask of one machine and still have it be relatively cheap.

I will probably get the rack next week anyway. But, I figure with AMD releasing Bulldozer soon that processor prices should drop. I don't want to buy now and prices take a significant drop 2 months later. Just waiting. . . I guess.

:teknology:

There will be more new chip models released this year than ever before. I'm guessing you will see at least 20 new chips this year. Intel is releasing more chips next month, and the whole AMD thingy is coming soon.

It's not really a good time to buy new hardware, since the used market might see a big jump. The first victim is going to be the i7-980X. A faster version, the 990X is being released for less money than 980.