New valve seals fail

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
When you guys are swapping out springs with the heads still on the engine, do you get the cylinder you're working on to TDC or pressurize the cylinder with air to keep the valves from dropping?

In the past I've done both.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Yes and no. Never hurts anything if you have the plugs out to use air too cuz sometimes that little bit the valve drops makes it a sumbitch to get the keepers in depending on the type and quality of your spring compressor.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
LB7, just my truck. the other heads were suzuki car head, honda 450r head, and a few others when i was working as a mechanic

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
LB7, just my truck. the other heads were suzuki car head, honda 450r head, and a few others when i was working as a mechanic
I don't think it will work on the LLY and up. I had borrowed a tool that worked similar to that and you couldn't get it hooked far enough down on the spring to work.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If you make a center bolt that bolts in where the injectors go, you can use a 24 valve cummins spring compressor tool to do all 4 at once.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
If you make a center bolt that bolts in where the injectors go, you can use a 24 valve cummins spring compressor tool to do all 4 at once.

As in the injector hold down spot?

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
You mean, you don't use a hammer like I do at Cat? :D

you do it too? j/k, they seem to just push on easy enough for me. except one c15 I did I had to give them a slight tapperoo and I found out how amazingly easy it is to smash a valve seal.

when I have to do an oddball one that we do not have a compressor for, we have a tool that you bolt the end of it to the head, a little cage that goes over the spring retainer, and then a handle you just push down on and compressed the spring, like magic!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
As in the injector hold down spot?

You have to get a bolt centered in the injector hole. I made a bracket that goes across the injector hole that is held in place by a bolt in the injector hold down bolt hole and a valve cover bolt hole on the other side. Then I drilled a hole for a bolt to go through that would be centered in the injector hole and welded it to the bracket. I wish I had a picture, but I made it for the shop I use to work for and haven't needed to make another one yet.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you do it too? j/k, they seem to just push on easy enough for me. except one c15 I did I had to give them a slight tapperoo and I found out how amazingly easy it is to smash a valve seal.

when I have to do an oddball one that we do not have a compressor for, we have a tool that you bolt the end of it to the head, a little cage that goes over the spring retainer, and then a handle you just push down on and compressed the spring, like magic!

I've done my fair share of kicking keepers out with a socket and hammer. Surprising it works well but not something id wanna Dow with a head on the truck lol

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
You have to get a bolt centered in the injector hole. I made a bracket that goes across the injector hole that is held in place by a bolt in the injector hold down bolt hole and a valve cover bolt hole on the other side. Then I drilled a hole for a bolt to go through that would be centered in the injector hole and welded it to the bracket. I wish I had a picture, but I made it for the shop I use to work for and haven't needed to make another one yet.
That sounds similar to the one I made. I put an O-ring groove on the stub that sticks into the injector hole.

I made the cross bracket too thick. Then the compressor portion was quickly thrown together and also way overbuilt, I ended up bringing it back to work and milling a ton of material off of it and I'm still not happy with it.

Sounds like I'll be building another more refined version as there isn't really a good one produced. Maybe I'll start with the 24v compressor if its not a ton of money.

Last edited:

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
After taking a closer look at the Tork tek tool, and Josh H confirming it will work on the Dmax. I'm just going to spend the $80 on it and make an adapter for it.