New Tires and BAD wandering

hrlyguy2

Dec 2, 2011
IL
I had installed new(2500 miles now) 245 75 17 nitto terra grappler G2s on my dually.
Had a newer ford dually blow by me blowing smoke.Wasnt having that.So I caught up to him quick and got side by side and he couldn't keep up.
But when I got to higher speeds it wanders where you need two hands on the wheel to control.Scary almost.
I just had a new steering box gear installed and a alignment. Front end is good
Anyone else have issues with tires like this.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I've noticed my truck wandering a bit after new tires in the past. Seems like a couple hundred miles and then they are fine. I always just assumed the lugs weren't perfectly true and the entire tread Wasnt on the ground until they had a few miles on the

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Drop the psi by 10 all around and see what it does, you would be surprised.

What Trojan said is correct though my new nittos felt the same way for the first few hundred miles too. You have 2500 though that's a little past the newness of a tire

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Drop the psi by 10 all around and see what it does, you would be surprised.

What Trojan said is correct though my new nittos felt the same way for the first few hundred miles too. You have 2500 though that's a little past the newness of a tire

x2. I have seen this issue multiple times at work. To much air for the weight on tire reduces foot print by a lot

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
I've always run 65 on fronts, 60 on rears. When the tires finally "break in" that pressure usually works out fine.

I had a set of tires that never seemed to want to break in. Always felt squishy going any speed and at several different psi's. Hate buying tires, but was happy those finally wore out lol

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
Post your alignment specs. Zero toe or toed in, and/or not enough caster can make things get wild at higher speeds.

And if it's a dually(I think I read that in the OP), I'd recommend 60 in the front, and 45-50 in the rear when driving empty. Hauling loads would require more pressure...

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Personally I believe the wander after installing new tires and the reason why after it seems to go away after a couple hundred miles is that when you go from a mile'd out tire with very little tread left and install a new one with full tread you feel the sway of the extra tread. After awhile, you get used to it.

I think of it as a new broom vs an old one. The old broom is very stiff as the bristles are short and the new one not so much as the bristles are long. If that makes any sense.:confused:

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
The wonder a lot of people are talking about here with new tires are from the mold release compound manufactures use, it should wear off within 500-1000 miles. Also, new tires have more tread squirm than older ones and response slower.

However, with your amount of mileage, I'd look at pressure or alignment.

hrlyguy2

Dec 2, 2011
IL
Had a shop do the alignment. So not sure on the specs.It is a dually.Had a mechanic ( which I know well) said everything looks good but thought the tires was the issue.
Bad thing about the dually is getting to the inner tire valve:mad:

Polaris7x

Dec 25, 2011
loves park, ill
Ive noticed the bigger the tire of the nittos the worse the wandering becomes. Ive got 325 on mine and it does it regardless at speeds about 60 and above, hitting bumps can be fun sometimes. So needless to say after these tires wear out I will be looking for a different tire setup to try.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I got the specs at home I can copy and post up.. The problem I have is the ~5" of squat from a load changes caster angle a lot especially on a 133" wb vs a cclb truck.
Mine gets real twitchy/skidish? Coming off center when steering.. I got some ~1500 miles on these tires now..and its calmed down some
I got 190,000 on mine AFAIK steering stabilizer has never been replaced.. Picking up a new one today

Hoffie

Mar 10, 2015
Far East LA - aka Phoenix
Your truck came with a steering stabilizer? My 3/4 ton didn't, but luckily it does not wander especially now that I got rid of those crappy Pathfinder tires. I just installed Cooper Discoveries on it and it rides nice.