new rear diff

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
How is it nailing it around a corner Jason?

FUN!
:thumb:

She drifts nice, the trutrac does what ya want when ya want for the most part
lol

But here's the deal, its still somewhat unpredictable in some ways, something's you have to learn to do differently and I'll try to clarify...

These Toyo AT2's I'm runnin suck on wet roads but, It locks up what seems like instantly in any sort of "corner" when its wet, which can quickly turn an unassuming drive into a "butt pucker" experience. Sometimes it even feels like it will posi lock on extreme decel in a straight line too? But under heacy acceleration in a straight line it will one wheel peel on wet pavement UNLESS you start off with the brakes engaged, like almost to intentially burn out...?

Also
There is this one on ramp I frequently travel where you enter going up a steep ramp with a hairpin right, at the top, wherein the apex of the corner is also the crown/crest of the upward grade...I can never get it to posi lock up around that damn corner, dry or wet UNLESS I am on the brakes WHILE I accelerate out of the apex
Lmao!
Don't know why, but it never does...I guess it might have sumthin to do with the low friction surface? And that's why adding brake into the equation will get the carrier to lock?

I know these seem like strange gripes, but when you expect the limited slip to engage and give posi, and it DOESNT HAPPEN, it can get hairy
Lol

It takes a little trial and error driving with the trutrac, theres definitely a feelin it out period after install, followed with big smiles and great respect, cuz it does have its little quirks. All in all I'm pretty damn happy with it and it adds alot of fun to the overall driving experience and impression of the rig. Oh, I should mention I've never noticed anything negative to it when towing and I'm driving my truck like a sane man doing normal things with my rig that it was meant to do
;)

And as far as quietness of operation, its silent and 99 of 100 would never know it was there, but there's always that one guy...the only time youll.evern"hear it" is when you get one wheel peel going and then posi engages, then you hear the worm gear mesh for a tenth of a second

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Lol sounds like how my g80 acts. I have to apply brake and boost into it to get both rear tires to break out and drift a corner. Just hitting the throttle does the one wheel peal. The reason I asked that question is that's the main cause of when I want the ass end to lock up, it won't.

I'll stay away from auto locking lockers in my truck though. The ratcheting, popping, and locking in under a bit of acceleration around a corner doesn't do it for me.

Be curious if anyone else has the same issue as you jason. It would really change my mind about getting the true track

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I thought you had a Grizzly locker in your truck Jason.... The slop in the Grizzly I was talking about is where it must be (slack throttle) when you enter a corner or it is locking up... It isn't bad in the wet but it might be a hand full in the snow and ice... I wish I had the Zip or ARB but it was a quick fix when my Gov-bomb blew...

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Mine has the dodge carrier locker thing. I love it. I have zero complaints about it. If you side step the clutch while turning it'll walk sideways. Doesn't bind up in tight turns, and have yet to have it spin only one tire.

Maybe Jesse will chime in on its actual name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Lol sounds like how my g80 acts. I have to apply brake and boost into it to get both rear tires to break out and drift a corner. Just hitting the throttle does the one wheel peal. The reason I asked that question is that's the main cause of when I want the ass end to lock up, it won't.

I'll stay away from auto locking lockers in my truck though. The ratcheting, popping, and locking in under a bit of acceleration around a corner doesn't do it for me.

Be curious if anyone else has the same issue as you jason. It would really change my mind about getting the true track

I haven't experienced any popping or ratcheting with the Grizzly like the Detroit I have had in the past the slop is weird ii will roll back and forth quit a bit in park...

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I haven't experienced any popping or ratcheting with the Grizzly like the Detroit I have had in the past the slop is weird ii will roll back and forth quit a bit in park...

It's the way I drive. I run auto lockers in my wheelers and they don't agree with how I drive. Running the windows down, I hear the ratcheting every time I turn. I like quiet in the truck. The tracker or crawler I could care less lol

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012

To even remotely compare the trutrac and G80 isn't plausible, they're totally different on the street... I mean, they both allow for normal driving and lock "when needed" but the trutrac locks pretty much when and how a performance nut, wants it, and not when a standard consumer "won't notice it".... Savvy? (Sorry, just watched one of the Pirates/Caribbean)

So I wouldn't call it an issue so to speak, and I'm sure it has more to do with how I use my truck James...;)

As I was typing I could see the negative aspect I was portraying and I was hoping NOT to steer anyone away from it with that post cuz it really is a solid unit that operates silently.

And it could just be how it was set up, after all the shop that set it up built my front diff too and after 20k miles it's falling apart and its howled since day one...not to mention when they had my truck longer than expected and I asked for pics, they sent some...in which they had the directional SSBC rotors ON THE WRONG HUBS! Yes, a WTF is going on phone call happened immediately...:mad:

I thought you had a Grizzly locker in your truck Jason?
nope, trutrac...

Guys, most of yall know me and know I over anylize EVERYTHING and thouroughly type out my mental exploits, post arter post...

Listen, I do like the trutrac and its probably not nearly as quirky as I make it sound, I am kinda an anylitic, type A personality, I'd just hate to give an outstanding review and have someone purchase this unit based off of that review, only to hear that they might have a gripe I have and didn't describe...

You can see in my sigpic that the trutrac clearly does its job ;)
That was a rolling burnout that happened as I was turning onto the highway, it started in second, mid turn, locked up right and ended in fifth
Lol

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
To even remotely compare the trutrac and G80 isn't plausible, they're totally different on the street... I mean, they both allow for normal driving and lock "when needed" but the trutrac locks pretty much when and how a performance nut, wants it, and not when a standard consumer "won't notice it".... Savvy? (Sorry, just watched one of the Pirates/Caribbean)

So I wouldn't call it an issue so to speak, and I'm sure it has more to do with how I use my truck James...;)

As I was typing I could see the negative aspect I was portraying and I was hoping NOT to steer anyone away from it with that post cuz it really is a solid unit that operates silently.

And it could just be how it was set up, after all the shop that set it up built my front diff too and after 20k miles it's falling apart and its howled since day one...not to mention when they had my truck longer than expected and I asked for pics, they sent some...in which they had the directional SSBC rotors ON THE WRONG HUBS! Yes, a WTF is going on phone call happened immediately...:mad:

nope, trutrac...

Guys, most of yall know me and know I over anylize EVERYTHING and thouroughly type out my mental exploits, post arter post...

Listen, I do like the trutrac and its probably not nearly as quirky as I make it sound, I am kinda an anylitic, type A personality, I'd just hate to give an outstanding review and have someone purchase this unit based off of that review, only to hear that they might have a gripe I have and didn't describe...

You can see in my sigpic that the trutrac clearly does its job ;)
That was a rolling burnout that happened as I was turning onto the highway, it started in second, mid turn, locked up right and ended in fifth
Lol

i dont think you quite realize how picky i am about differentials that work for me lol. Ive gone from DDing a spooled rear end (consistant driving characteristics but kills tires), auto locker rear end in three different vehicles/rear ends (both tires locked soon as you hit the throttle but my issues have been stated earlier. a stick with an auto locker makes for interesting corners as well), to selectable lockers (ARB, eaton elocker and toyota e-locker). i have yet to play with a limited slip as generally i need an open diff or a locked/spooled style diff for the off roading i do. That said, i love selectables but i also know my truck sees much more highway now that it does where i need a locked rear end. Not needing an air source is also a plus. But the analytical little things you are pointing out are things that would in fact bug me. Maybe i need to drive a truck with a true trac in it to see if it will work for me.

When i was in the decision making process of adding more air to my truck, i was looking for things like "spool up time", how it would tow, ect. back then, alot of guys gave the "my s472 spools like stock" but i couldnt explain to them what i was looking for. i wound up settling on the twin kit cause "you can have your cake and eat it too" so to speak. Best decision i could have done. So dont think the quarks you're telling me are a bad thing, they are only leading me to a more informed decision between the true trac or the ARB

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
i dont think you quite realize how picky i am about differentials that work for me lol. Ive gone from DDing a spooled rear end (consistant driving characteristics but kills tires), auto locker rear end in three different vehicles/rear ends (both tires locked soon as you hit the throttle but my issues have been stated earlier. a stick with an auto locker makes for interesting corners as well), to selectable lockers (ARB, eaton elocker and toyota e-locker). i have yet to play with a limited slip as generally i need an open diff or a locked/spooled style diff for the off roading i do. That said, i love selectables but i also know my truck sees much more highway now that it does where i need a locked rear end. Not needing an air source is also a plus. But the analytical little things you are pointing out are things that would in fact bug me. Maybe i need to drive a truck with a true trac in it to see if it will work for me.

When i was in the decision making process of adding more air to my truck, i was looking for things like "spool up time", how it would tow, ect. back then, alot of guys gave the "my s472 spools like stock" but i couldnt explain to them what i was looking for. i wound up settling on the twin kit cause "you can have your cake and eat it too" so to speak. Best decision i could have done. So dont think the quarks you're telling me are a bad thing, they are only leading me to a more informed decision between the true trac or the ARB

Hahahaha...yeah man, I get it and it seems like we think a little alike...maybe
I've driven with open, selectable and limited slip carriers...the LSD's do act differently, this is the first aftermarket LSD I've been behind tho and its different than the LSD feeling I've had in the cars I've driven that had an LSD...but then again I did describe the confidence in which I have of the install, and honestly, is anything really comparable to a performance diesel? Lol
NO! So comparing the LSD characteristics behind the gassers I've driven and a diesel really doesn't work that well...

Id be willing to bet you'd like the trutrac James, it does work "like" the G80 in allot of ways, just better and fer sure more aggressive...

After doing a little internet research, it seems like the "quirks" I've encountered arent as "abnormal" as coming across another forum member like myself, who is willing to go as ridiculously in depth about a review, as I do
Lmao!

The using the brakes thing while on low friction surfaces to force posi to engage (like a wet boat ramp, was one of the examples I read) or when one wheel is off the ground, is common practice for this LSD...so it seems like the "quirks" I'm bitchin about is really just me needing to learn how to use the parts correctly, or use them correctly for what I want the truck to do :D

Its not like its difficult, or like it really takes any extra thought, you're not reprogramming your brains understanding of driving or anything, it just some getting used to is all, I'm happy with it and I'd probably buy one again for another street rig
:baby:

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
one thing has held me back abut the TrueTrac, and maybe you can answer it, Jason. Does it have enough ass to pull a truckout of trouble when you are relying on the brakes to load the spinning tire?

For example (this happened to me): My truck is parked on the road with both passenger wheels in a snow bank and the driver's side on slippery road. I had zero traction on both pass side wheels. The g80 gave me a little bite on the street on the driver's side. I was able to get the truck out solely by the driver's side rear tire being locked. Would I be stuck with the Truetrac or if I slipped the brakes (or ebrake) could I get enough power to the wheel with grip to pull out a stuck truck?!

TIA :hug:

dirtboy726

victim of diesel hotrodery
Mar 13, 2010
nova scotia, canada
lots of good info here guys...keep it up.
i have a few questions though.
how bad is the grizzly locker in snow and bad weather?
it would be the easiest one for me to get. has anyone ran one and had trouble with it in weather?

second. how strong is an arb? will they hold up to the torque of our trucks?
how long do they take to lock?
can i lock it as i roll along? or do i have to stop? obviously i don`t expect it to lock if i am accelerating or spinning.....but if i am rolling down the road and want to drift a corner ..... can i let off and coast and hit the switch then lay into it when it locks?
if anyone has any experience with any of my questions. please chime in.

DmaxRvRrat

Mar 19, 2014
I've had a Grizzly in my truck for 4 years now, although probably only 10k miles. Personally, it reminds me its there 100% of the time while driving in the city; when turning corners and in stop and go traffic. Like 56taskforce stated earlier it has quite a bit of play in it. You can feel it when you let off the throttle or get on it after you've coasted. It also hardly ever unlocks on corners in my ecsb. IMO the feeling of driving with it resembles having the truck in 4 wheel drive all the time.

"Bad weather"...it will spook you on ice/snow in my experience. You get sideways pretty quick with both tires 1:1 all the time. I've never had a problem in bad weather but i would not let my gf drive the truck in it.

Overall I am happy with it though. It is predictable to drive, I have had no problems with it, and hey; both tires spin when they're supposed to! :thumb:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
one thing has held me back abut the TrueTrac, and maybe you can answer it, Jason. Does it have enough ass to pull a truckout of trouble when you are relying on the brakes to load the spinning tire?

For example (this happened to me): My truck is parked on the road with both passenger wheels in a snow bank and the driver's side on slippery road. I had zero traction on both pass side wheels. The g80 gave me a little bite on the street on the driver's side. I was able to get the truck out solely by the driver's side rear tire being locked. Would I be stuck with the Truetrac or if I slipped the brakes (or ebrake) could I get enough power to the wheel with grip to pull out a stuck truck?!

TIA :hug:

I'll try and answer your question the best way I can...
First and foremost, no, you would not get stuck in that exact situation using a trutrac, in fact you might have/probably wouldve gotten out quicker with it

2nd, one wheel will always spin and one wheel will always float with an open carrier, IIRC, oddly enough the tire with the least traction will get power.. the G80 is a LSD, a crappy weak one, but an LSD nonetheless and it will engage POSI AND LOCK the carrier making both tires turn under power given the right parameters...in the snowbank you weren't getting the G80 to lock, only one wheel was spinning so the carrier was open.

In the snow bank scenario, you'd want to basically brake boost almost like a launch but only loading enough tq into the carrier to get it to lock and then very gently let off the brake and throttle (brake first) until the wheel"S" start to turn...same procedure with a trutrac but its far less troublesome to engage

Now as for "having enough ass" I'm not sure if you mean weight, traction/footprint, grunt or what, but I can only reassure you that two tires under power with traction are better than one, and the trutrac is way more responsive than the G80 evet could be, it locks quicker, doesn't have the stupid mph requirement to lock/unlock and in general its badass!

Dudes, the trutrac is a bad ass LSD, its quiet, its burly and it works...I've beat the living snot outta mine and it hasn't had so much as a hiccup

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
ok maybe I wasn't clear. I got the g80 LOCKED in that situation and the one tire on the street pulled out the whole truck. I don't think you realize that the g80 will lock both rear wheels. So I was pulling with both rear wheels and the fact that it was locked allowed the tire on the street (the only one with any grip at all, since the passenger side was in ice in a snow bank) to do 100% of the job of removing the truck.

By enough ass, I meant with the TT would it give the wheel with grip enough power to pull out 8k of stuck truck. I think back to the old GM test where the Dodge limited slip could not climb the hill with one tire on ground and one on rollers.

FWIW in my situation the g80 saved my ass but it was not easy. In order to get it to lock, I had to blip the throttle in reverse, and then let it come back to idle without touching the brakes. Then the g80 went full lock and I could backout with throttle. If I touched the brakes it would NOT lock... very weird, but I had the time and need to figure this out at the time, hahahaha.

TNX,
Wally

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
Anyone here installed a dodge torsen? I could use a little guidance and thought I would post here since it was brought up.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
ok maybe I wasn't clear. I got the g80 LOCKED in that situation and the one tire on the street pulled out the whole truck. I don't think you realize that the g80 will lock both rear wheels. So I was pulling with both rear wheels and the fact that it was locked allowed the tire on the street (the only one with any grip at all, since the passenger side was in ice in a snow bank) to do 100% of the job of removing the truck.

By enough ass, I meant with the TT would it give the wheel with grip enough power to pull out 8k of stuck truck. I think back to the old GM test where the Dodge limited slip could not climb the hill with one tire on ground and one on rollers.

FWIW in my situation the g80 saved my ass but it was not easy. In order to get it to lock, I had to blip the throttle in reverse, and then let it come back to idle without touching the brakes. Then the g80 went full lock and I could backout with throttle. If I touched the brakes it would NOT lock... very weird, but I had the time and need to figure this out at the time, hahahaha.

TNX,
Wally

Ummm, naw man, I just read you post wrong. I realize he G80 is an LSD
Im not sure I read this post correctly either, in regard to "having enough ass" bcuz the way I read it I'm not sure you realize that when an LSD locks a carrier, the axle is distributing power to both wheels equally...so whether it's a G80 or trutrac, once it locks, both wheels get the same energy...but at any rate my answer to your questions is YES I believe the trutrac would've performed more than adequately...

I haven't staged a roller test, but so far the trutrac has done everything and more, than the G80 ever did

Interesting how you figured out how to get the G80 to lock in that situation, cuz I've been stuck in snow and had to rock between R and D before, I pretty much stayed on the brake the whole time and it kept the G80 locked...and it seem like that's how the trutrac works too, its triggered with brake modulation on low friction surfaces...

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I'm not sure you realize that when an LSD locks a carrier, the axle is distributing power to both wheels equally...so whether it's a G80 or trutrac, once it locks, both wheels get the same energy...but at any rate my answer to your questions is YES I believe the trutrac would've performed more than adequately...

I realize that it's intent but I also realize that it relies on a clutch pack that might slip if you ask too much of it. This is the video with the rollers showing the LSD climbing a little but not enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdND6o9Vsqo

I am glad to hear that the TT would be able to climb up though! That's been the only thing holding me back from getting one. I like the hot street manners - I drove a dmax with one :)

Interesting how you figured out how to get the G80 to lock in that situation, cuz I've been stuck in snow and had to rock between R and D before, I pretty much stayed on the brake the whole time and it kept the G80 locked...and it seem like that's how the trutrac works too, its triggered with brake modulation on low friction surfaces...

Yeah, I was hanging my head out of the open door cursing the g80 as it was not working. After trial and error I found that method worked and I got free :)

mb1

Nov 15, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I love my grizzly. It locks when you want it to and never when I don't, behaves nicely in snow and ice, the only thing I've found is sometimes it makes the truck want to push into a turn so if you're going too fast on a residential corner you might bump the gas to slide it through the turn. I'd let my wife drive it any time, and we get as bad of winter weather as anyone.

It only takes a little getting used to the getting on and off the gas smoother so it doesn't feel sloppy. Imo.

Nothing is worse than a one wheel peel. I was expecting more issues and getting used to the grizz but it's been surprisingly good.

Maverick Max XRS
570 Berg.