new rear diff

dirtboy726

victim of diesel hotrodery
Mar 13, 2010
nova scotia, canada
i have done a search and read alot on this topic.

my stock rear diff is about to pop.
clunks and bangs,locks and unlocks when it pleases.
so i need a new rear diff.
just want some new and fresh opinions.
looked at grizzly locker.....but i drive my truck in the winter,and i hear that is not ideal.
true tracs...i can`t seem to find easily. and reviews are kind of mixed.
so i was thinking arb. they make one for the front and back of our trucks and are lockable for easy street and winter driving.
my front diff will be getting rebuilt soon as well so that would give me a good matched set of the same thing.
plus i was thinking of maybe pulling a couple leaves and adding air bags to the rear. so i would already have an air source.
i am kind of torn but want to get this done soon.
any input or feedback on anything i listed would be greatly appreciated.
let me hear it fellas.
my truck is mostly just a street truck but i want to start hooking to the sled more...hence why i want full lockers.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
My vote is arb, it's the route I'm going and I like being able to lock and unlock when I choose.

Most don't want to add an air source but since you're already doing that it should be a no brainer!

I think around fall time they have their promotions. I know they were giving free compressors at one point. That would also give you your air source for bags.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Man, I love me some ARB air lockers, I ran them in a Jeep cherokee (XJ) and they were bulletproof...

I did a trutrac in the rear when the G-80 G-renaded...and I'm happy with it...for the most part

If I did it again tho, I'd use an ARB or even an Eaton E-locker...those look kinda sweet too:thumb:

I was doing a full gear swap and axle rebuilds and I needed a complete new rear end...I couldnt afford everything that was needed and the extra set up time for the ARB, so the trutrac was simply the best alternative for me at the time and its served me well so far

I do remember reading about negative drawbacks to locking out the front diff, even for pulling? For some reason I remember being persuaded not to install a locker in the front diff, and it wasn't due to cost

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
ARB lockers are great for a front diff or on a competition/extreme off road use, but I wouldn't really consider one for the rear of a daily driver. I would go 100% with a TrueTrac or the AAM diff that Dodge uses.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
ARB lockers are great for a front diff or on a competition/extreme off road use, but I wouldn't really consider one for the rear of a daily driver. I would go 100% with a TrueTrac or the AAM diff that Dodge uses.

Don't get me wrong man, I've used both in different applications and I do feel that they both have pros and cons... But Why is that your opinion Josh? Just because you have to manually select the ARB to lock/unlock?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Don't get me wrong man, I've used both in different applications and I do feel that they both have pros and cons... But Why is that your opinion Josh? Just because you have to manually select the ARB to lock/unlock?
Curious as well. I like not being surprised when they decide to lock.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
when it comes time for mine, it will be a hard choice between a true track or an ARB.

just fyi, the torsen unit in the dodges are a 2:1 lock up ratio (low). the true track is a 3:1 and will hold both tires spinning longer when one starts to unload vs the dodge unit. how much? im not sure. just some facts i have read about from some more knowledgeable on the subject than i :D

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Man, I love me some ARB air lockers, I ran them in a Jeep cherokee (XJ) and they were bulletproof...

I did a trutrac in the rear when the G-80 G-renaded...and I'm happy with it...for the most part

If I did it again tho, I'd use an ARB or even an Eaton E-locker...those look kinda sweet too:thumb:

I was doing a full gear swap and axle rebuilds and I needed a complete new rear end...I couldnt afford everything that was needed and the extra set up time for the ARB, so the trutrac was simply the best alternative for me at the time and its served me well so far

I do remember reading about negative drawbacks to locking out the front diff, even for pulling? For some reason I remember being persuaded not to install a locker in the front diff, and it wasn't due to cost

the front end on a DD is best to have a selectable locker that has the option of "full open". since we dont have selectable hubs, the driver side axle is always turning the spider gears in the diff. if its locked, the ring gear will then turn and drive the drive shaft. not too big a deal for stock height trucks other than maybe a slight bit more vibs and little less MPG but lifted truck that drop the diff will get vibrations from the spinning drive shaft.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
has anyone taken the locker out of a Power Wagon yet? They use the AAM 11.5" and have a truetrac full time and an elocker on top of that when the going gets silly. No open diff option, but LSD/Locker seems cool!

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
.... I like not being surprised when they decide to lock.

Lol

when it comes time for mine, it will be a hard choice between a true track or an ARB.

just fyi, the torsen unit in the dodges are a 2:1 lock up ratio (low). the true track is a 3:1 and will hold both tires spinning longer when one starts to unload vs the dodge unit. how much? im not sure. just some facts i have read about from some more knowledgeable on the subject than i :D
I wrestled with the choice, funds and readiness selected the trutrac for me and I'm not disappointed

I can't say when the trutrac will let go and unload, under load, but I can say it hasn't let go of posi on me under load, ever...two patches past 100mph and 4th gear...I've got it to lock up posi and leave patches at 45-50mph too, brake assisted :D

the front end on a DD is best to have a selectable locker that has the option of "full open". since we dont have selectable hubs, the driver side axle is always turning the spider gears in the diff. if its locked, the ring gear will then turn and drive the drive shaft. not too big a deal for stock height trucks other than maybe a slight bit more vibs and little less MPG but lifted truck that drop the diff will get vibrations from the spinning drive shaft.
Nice points as always James
Thanks for you insight

has anyone taken the locker out of a Power Wagon yet? They use the AAM 11.5" and have a truetrac full time and an elocker on top of that when the going gets silly. No open diff option, but LSD/Locker seems cool!
I know people have used the whole axle!! Its usually sled pullers cuz the dodge axles use thicker wall tubes and are stronger...not sure what year axle others have used or what year you're talking about, but whatever year axle that youre talking about sounds legit :thumb:

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I know people have used the whole axle!! Its usually sled pullers cuz the dodge axles use thicker wall tubes and are stronger...not sure what year axle others have used or what year you're talking about, but whatever year axle that youre talking about sounds legit :thumb:

I'm talking about the 2014 upgrade to the 11.5"AAM. It's this locker - http://www.demandaam.com/technical-...cal-gear-with-electronic-locking-differential

I can't find it anywhere for sale, so maybe it's OEM only? I shudder to think the cost, lol.

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA

I thought they were AAM 10.5"?

Edit: asked & answered

Corey

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
That sounds pretty cool. I wonder how it handles. And what it will take to brake one. Might keep an eye out at the junk yards.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
One thing I found when doing research for the half ton was that the 9.5" 14 bolt diff uses the same parts as our trucks' 9.25" front IFS.

BTW, Im using a Detroit in the 9.5". Fun fun!

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
ARB or Grizzly Zip locker would be the way to go in the rear Eaton E-Locker for the front. Unless ARB just came out with it there is no ARB for our fronts and no E-Locker for the rear.
I have an automatic Grizzly in the rear of my truck they are not as harsh as a Detroit locker and they have refined them so they don't ratchet like the Detroit but they have some slack built in that takes some getting used to...

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
One thing I found when doing research for the half ton was that the 9.5" 14 bolt diff uses the same parts as our trucks' 9.25" front IFS.

BTW, Im using a Detroit in the 9.5". Fun fun!

Oh maybe I stand corrected Tom:hug: