NEW PRODUCT! Customize your steering wheel controls!!!

Would you be interested in a steering wheel control module?

• Total voters

jolar

Dec 11, 2008
San Diego

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
This may not be in the realm of possibility but it's been on my wish list.
Multiple tranny "modes"..
We have T/H and Regular.

We dont really need more IMO...I think the fact that Allison gave us two modes is pretty nice/generous of them! A proper tune and an 01 TCM operating system will not have any problems with learning. I can go from a stock tune to a 600+hp tune and my trans never gets confused.

And further more, thats really not feasible ("DSP-5 for the TCM"), unfortunately. It would require rewriting the entire TCM operating system, and probably adding more memory too... Even if I had any remote idea how to do that (make a TCM operating system that had more than 2 'tunes), I wouldnt do it for less than $1000 per setup....theres THAT much time involved. Allison has hundreds of thousands of dollars and thousands of man-hours with dozens of computer programmers and engineers into writing the current TCM software...we'd basically be starting from scratch. :(

I mean, Id like it if my duramax had fold-out wings and could fly, too, but that probably wont happen either. :)

I see you have EFILive, have you tried any different TCM tuning??

Ben

DangerDog

Jul 11, 2010
Mesa AZ
Technically you could change the functionality and button-press style at any time as many times as you want. But it would mean pulling the controller chip out, changing some computer code and reflashing the chip with the new code.

Gotcha. Not sure if that would be worth it lol. I was really just wondering. Maybe you could make an output per button, but make it so there are two toggles and two momentary functions on each side of the wheel? That could leave it up the user how they want to wire up the outputs?

I'm just throwing out ideas, if they're crazy or impractical, just let me know lol.

Alliance1289

Apr 26, 2011
Any progress with this Ben? I may have to get in contact with you about this. I am very interested in it. Im a computer geek for a living so I'd definitely be interested in the "changing functionality" feature.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Im working on this project again...I need some input as far as how many triggers you guys would want though.

tap-up (manual shift mode for the 6-speed guys)
tap-down (manual shift mode for the 6-speed guys)
torque converter force-lock (if you have my TC controller)
torque converter force-unlock (if you have my TC controller)
Nitrous?

I dont know what else you guys would want/need as far as controls on the steering wheel? I can do up to 7, so counting the things I listed above, that leaves 2 left for...??? I could just leave those as "general purpose" outputs I suppose and you can use them for whatever. Maybe have one be momentary (IE, its "on" as long as you hold the appropriate steering wheel button, then "off" when the button is released) and then the other be latched (IE, press once to turn "on", press again to turn "off").

DSP switching, maybe down the road, but Im not going to worry about that until I have my DSP switches finished and for-sale.

As soon as I have more input as far as what to do with all of the 7 available outputs, Ill get these finished and released. :cool:

Ben

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
I address my desire in regards to the DSP switch in that thread, Ben. I understand that you don't wanna fool with it just yet, that's cool. I don't have the steering wheel buttons, so the shifter button's the only possibility with me in regards to DSP. Thanks!

Jetty LBZ

work in progress
Jan 24, 2011
middle TN
Could the the 2 remaining be use for turning on accessories like lights or working winches and maybe even brake box controls or onboard air accessories like bags or horns? Just trying to through out some ideas

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Could the the 2 remaining be use for turning on accessories like lights or working winches and maybe even brake box controls or onboard air accessories like bags or horns? Just trying to through out some ideas

Yep, definitely.

I think what im going to do is have 3 "general purpose" outputs that you can use for whatever you want.

The outputs will be programmable too, meaning you can choose whether or not they are "momentary" outputs or "latched" outputs.

So there will be:

1. tap-shift "UPSHIFT" control
2. tap-shift "DOWNSHIFT" control
3. torque converter force-lock control
4. torque converter force-unlock control
5. General purpose output
6. General purpose output
7. General purpose output

You will be able to keep the steering wheel controls working like factory too.

You'll have two "modes". Factory, and "aux". What you do is press and hold the "PROG" button for 5 seconds, and that will switch it between modes. There will be a mode indicator LED too. So when you want to use the steering wheel controls for factory functions (volume+ volume- etc), you press and hold "PROG" for 5 seconds. Then when you want to use the volume+ button for nitrous or something, press and hold "PROG" for 5 seconds and it will switch modes.

How does that sound??? Like I said, the more input/feedback that I get from you guys, the faster I can get these finished and ready for sale. :)

Ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Iv got a red on/off button on my gauge pod could that be used as the PROG switch sense it's already there?

I suppose, but for most people who dont want to wire up/mount extra switches, using a steering wheel button to switch modes is a little more streamlined/less clunky...thats just my opinion though.

Plus, do you really need one more button? (that would be used up by having the PROG button "tied up" to do "mode-switching" duties)

You'll have 7 buttons instead of 8...

Jetty LBZ

work in progress
Jan 24, 2011
middle TN
I suppose, but for most people who dont want to wire up/mount extra switches, using a steering wheel button to switch modes is a little more streamlined/less clunky...thats just my opinion though.

Plus, do you really need one more button? (that would be used up by having the PROG button "tied up" to do "mode-switching" duties)

You'll have 7 buttons instead of 8...
I think I'm confused is PROG on the steering wheel?

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I think that will work perfect Ben. The PROG button along with the indicator light for which setting its on. Get this built and I'll personally buy it along with your tap shift conversion and converter lock-up kit! I'm a sucker for electronic gizmos like this!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I now have these steering-wheel-control switches mostly ready to go!

Price will be set at $199 plus shipping for the standard model with 5 general-purpose outputs.

Price will be set at $219 plus shipping for the "deluxe" module that, in addition to the standard general-purpose outputs, it adds tap-shift up/down control and lockup controller lock/unlock control.

The other features are as follows:

All of the outputs can be set (via DIP-switches on the module itself) to either be "latching" (IE, press the steering wheel button once to turn the output 'on' and press it again to turn the output 'off'), or "momentary" (IE, the output is only 'on' for as long as you are holding the button)

The "transfer" control (meaning, to change the switches from serving as the factory radio controls to the aux controls) can be done THREE ways:

1. Press and hold the "PROG" button on the steering wheel for a couple seconds
2. Hook up an external on/off toggle switch
3. Always functional (IE, when you press the "volume up" button, it will make the radio increase in volume and the aux output turn on)

There will be an LED that lights up to let you know when the "aux" functions are "enabled"

And of course, as I mentioned above, for a small extra fee, you can interface the steering wheel controls with the tap-shift (either factory 6-speed tap-shift, or the BT DieselWorks 5-speed tap-shift kit) and the BT DieselWorks lockup controller.

Please email me for ordering info, [email protected]

thanks
Ben