New Mexico Members or Shops?

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I just had one of my new Lincoln Diesel high pressure lines blow on my LB7, and I’m in the middle of a road trip passing through New Mexico.

im wondering if by chance anyone is local and has a new or known good condition #6 line that I can somehow get, or a shop that might have one in stock on a Sunday.

I have the tools and have tightened it multiple times and fully removed it and re installed it to no avail. I’m thinking it must have cracked somehow.

currently stranded

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Shot you a message back but your a long ways from me. Blake is down in southern New Mexico, he might have one but I don’t know if anyone can get ahold of him on a weekend.

Are you in town where you can take the line in, have the line cut and someone weld the rail side of the line shut? That will atleast yet get you going on 7 cyl. I did this for Trent many years ago when he got stuck down here in phx. I may even still have the welded plug, just not sure how to get it to you.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I was thinking along those lines if I could shut off the injector from my Tech 2, until Dave reminded me it’s a common rail lol.

will the cylinder get enough lubrication being dead? I have a little over 1k miles to go to get home.
I probably have better luck finding someone to weld it than I do finding a new one.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
My original motor ate a glow plug and lost compression on #1. Ran it that way for 10,000 miles and it didn't seem to cause any additional damage besides when the glow plug tip bounced around and beat the piss out of the head and piston before wrecking an exhaust valve on the way out. So driving it as gently as possible for 1,000 miles with an injector shut off should be pretty safe.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I wonder if I could cut the line and then pinch and fold it over and have it hold.

when you say injector shut off, do you mean cut off from fuel source or did you also stop it from dry firing too? I thought I would only be able to shut the injector off for 10 min at a time

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I found an O’Reillys 220 miles away in Tucson that says they have a #6 high pressure line, based off part # 97188721

I’m going to cut the line I have just above the injector side, and then try pinching it in a few spots before pinching and folding over the cut end. I’m hoping that’ll hold well enough to get me to Tucson.

Am I going to risk wrecking these brand new SACs dry firing #6 for so long? I have a Tech 2 but I don’t see a way to disable one injector from firing

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I don't think it will hurt the injector to dry fire, unless some tiny debris pushes up the nozzle from cylinder compression. I'd be more worried about the line leaking. I doubt that pinching it off will work. I'd think the pressure would open it back up and then you'd have a BIG leak. It will probably have to be welded.

Have you considered all the other options? E.g. get the truck towed to the O'reilly's, have the line delivered to your current town, get a ride there and back, etc.?

Sucky situation for sure. Sorry this happened to you.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You will probably waste an injector doing this but it will get you home. I don’t see pinching the line being enough. You’d be better off folding the line over on its self and trying it before cutting it and pinching. At 23-26k rail though, it’s probably going to leak/spray so stay away from it and aim the end away from parts while you try it.

Still searching up here. Might have one tracked down

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I don't think it will hurt the injector to dry fire, unless some tiny debris pushes up the nozzle from cylinder compression. I'd be more worried about the line leaking. I doubt that pinching it off will work. I'd think the pressure would open it back up and then you'd have a BIG leak. It will probably have to be welded.

Have you considered all the other options? E.g. get the truck towed to the O'reilly's, have the line delivered to your current town, get a ride there and back, etc.?

Sucky situation for sure. Sorry this happened to you.

I see the needle bouncing off the seat a hell of a lot with no lube. It might kill it.

Could try unthreading the solenoid but now he’s ripping the top end apart. Hmmm

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Rent a car for a day?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
We looked into this too. Our tow truck driver who lives in this town said there’s no Uber/Lyft and no taxi service. The next car rental place open on a Sunday is 70 miles backwards.

I’m sure we could figure getting one, but then I’d need to find a safe place to store the truck and a 30hr weekend to come back with a trailer to get it. Which also seems like a pain.

Im supposed to have a new Autozone line in my hands this evening. Hoping it’s correct and solves the problem.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Got a text from Trevor this morning:

Autozone sent an injector line to the store in town yesterday to be there by 6-7pm. Trevor went in after 7 to see if it came in and they said it never showed. I started looking for parts here in phx so we could figure something out and text him back a few stores have one. he text me this morning that the manager of autozone went back to the back and searched for quite a while to make sure the injector line didnt come in. He found it and actually brought it to trevor's hotel so he could get the truck up and running. Trevor said they made it to Tucson last night and i can only assume they are on their way to Cali today.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Thanks James, and yes I’m very grateful for the help I’ve found from this forum!

we just made it back to Northern California. The dorman unit held fine the rest of the trip. I’m just glad it was one of the easiest to reach lines and only took uncoupling the top intercooler boot to have a clear shot at it. 10 minutes to replace it.

as for the aftermarket lines, this is actually the second one I’ve had an issue with since doing my SACs and I’ll be ordering a full set of GM lines this week to replace them all.

after cutting the one open, I did not see any cracks or splits visible to the eye. What I suspect is the washer that sits between the nut collar and the tip of the line somehow wears. It doesn’t make any sense that it would be fine for several thousand miles and then all the sudden decide to blow. The second time was worse than the first, not only because we were on a road trip, but it was enough to trigger low rail pressure code and for the entire truck to be coated in enough diesel the trailer hitch was dripping.

glad to be home after that one. Time to really rethink the preventive maintenance game as well as properly setting up a tool chest. Luckily I had what I needed to get this job done on the side of the road.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Oh one salt in wound humorous part I didn’t mention, the tow truck that requested us was an 01 7.3 with 950,000 miles on it. I had to listen to how great Fords and 7.3s were the whole 20 min tow haha

Reactions: stroke250

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Oh one salt in wound humorous part I didn’t mention, the tow truck that requested us was an 01 7.3 with 950,000 miles on it. I had to listen to how great Fords and 7.3s were the whole 20 min tow haha
And with the (lack of) power a 7.3 has, that tow took twice as long as if you were towed by anything else LOL

slowlml

Undercover Epa agent
Feb 6, 2015
Strasburg Va/Wardensville Wv
I got a buddy that is a huge 7.3 guy. Always talking about how they never break anything and last forever. Hes always giving me shit whenever i break something on one of the duramaxs or cummins.Im quick to remind him its hard to break anything when you only make 200 hp to the tires😂😂

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
7.3 have issues too! Like when the starter breaks off the mounting plate in a parking lot and you have to use 1500 chevy and a tow strap to get it home because you cant wait 2 hours for a medium duty wrecker to tow it 2 blocks home.

So anytime he mentions the 7.3L I just send him that picture...

Attachments

• 20210108_114700.jpg
    20210108_114700.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: 1TRIKHD