New LBZ owner - how to check tune in truck to confirm if stock/tuned

SS350

Jan 22, 2012
Hi all, I'd started to research my question but I havn't found exactly what looking for.
Two young kids - my focus-time is way less then it used to be - so i'm just going to ask instead this time. Question in Bold further Below:

Long winded Background as follows: Just purchased a rust free 2006 LBZ sierra with 208K from NC.
I've been wanting to get back into a diesel since I sold my 03 RCLB Silverado (at 200k) right after my eldest was born in 2015 to fund part of a new crew cab 5.3L Sierra for my wife.
I had the 2003 for about 6 years and ran it on an older canned PPE tuner set at the 1st stage (i'd say it was roughly 100 hp), their later tuners seemed to have a lower 1st level then my earlier one did.

My new to me 2006 seems to run VERY nice - either its mildly tuned or the stock tune on an LBZ took away the dead-slow-to-rev feeling that the stock LB7 had.
As far as I know its stock other then a 4" straight pipe, Cognito UCA's and Braces.
The previous owner said it wasn't tuned - she bought it at 17 years old and ran it for the last 5 years. To me living in NH its VERY VERY clean other then rock chips some dings and leather seat wear. She gave me the name of the 2nd owner (he runs an oil company in NC - already found their website) so I can try to call him and see what he remembers if he even wants to chat.

I own EFI Live, bought FlashScan V2 in around 2018 from BlackBear in order to tune the shift points and improve throttle response on my now sold 2013 6.0L 2500HD.
I was sort of planning ahead for future duramax ownership again. I'd like to keep the tuning mild and trans safe whichever way I go b/c I'm not looking to do a built trans yet. I know a TransGo Jr would be a good plan (along with maybe a set of Kennedy lift pumps).

Soo here's my question. If I pull the tune out of the LBZ with my EFI Live FlashScan V2- is there a quick way to see if it is a stock file or not?
Also do I need to have the right EFI Live "module?" or file loaded into the V2 before I pull it? (pretty sure module isnt the right term)
IIRC - My 13 6.0 needed an E78 ECU file loaded 1st before it could read.

Basically I'd like to know what I'm running just for longevity sake. If it is not stock I assume it will be either canned or an EFI tune locked by a vendor - I realize I can ask around here and probably get a base tune IF needed - but will I risk bricking my ECU writing a tune from a known reputable vendor over a canned tune?

thanks for your help.

love the new truck hope to never sell it - I missed the diesel every single day since I sold the other one - my 2013 was very reliable though so knock on wood.

2006 LBZ.jpg

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'd compare the checksum to the same stock OS to see if they match

to use your V2 separately or not always connected to the computer you need to load the configuration files (and pids if you want to log) for the controller you plan on reading

SS350

Jan 22, 2012

to use your V2 separately or not always connected to the computer you need to load the configuration files (and pids if you want to log) for the controller you plan on reading
Thank you for the info and correct keywords! That should let me dig in better on how to do it. I'll need to lookup checksum etc.

Right now I don't have a Laptop PC with Admin rights so I'll have to do it with the config files. I looked into running EFI Live on on my wife's macbook with bootcamp but it doesn't seem to have a very good success rate.

Thought I replied back on Friday but I guess my phone didn't post.

kch2os

Oct 23, 2022

I'm basically in the same boat as the OP. Never dipped my toe into the tuning world till last week when I bought a 2006 at auction that came with a King Spade (Autocal V2, right?) and DSP5 switch installed. I can feel and see a difference in two switch positions, but I'd like to know what tunes are loaded on the truck already. Your response to the OP made me realize I have no idea what you said. Would you mind breaking that down like you're talking to a fourth grader?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I'm basically in the same boat as the OP. Never dipped my toe into the tuning world till last week when I bought a 2006 at auction that came with a King Spade (Autocal V2, right?) and DSP5 switch installed. I can feel and see a difference in two switch positions, but I'd like to know what tunes are loaded on the truck already. Your response to the OP made me realize I have no idea what you said. Would you mind breaking that down like you're talking to a fourth grader?
You can look at the Operating System Calibration number and the CVN number to compare it against the OEM Calibration and CVN only to see if it has been tuned or if it is stock.

The only way to know what tunes were installed on the Autocal are to contact DuramaxTuner and see what was done for that vin number.

Reactions: kch2os