New guy wants some advice

AIRBORNE

Nov 4, 2011
Morgantown, WV
Hey guys. I am new here. I am going to be returning from deployment in a couple of months, and I want to finally get around to putting a programmer on my Duramax. I bought it in 09 and pretty much have run it stock, with the exception of a CAI. I want some advice on which tuner.

EFI Live
PPE
Edge
Quadzilla
Banks

I plan on adding a 5" exhaust, turbo back. I like the fancy readout and display of some models, but have been steered towards EFI Live from several of my buddies. It is a daily driver back and forth to FT Knox, and I also have a 24' v-nose trailer that I haul my RZRs in. I am mainly looking for some performance, fuel mileage, and some help when towing thru the mountains (up AND down).

It is an 05 with 91k on the odometer.

Thanks,
Chris
FOB Salerno, Afghanistan

DieselDummy

Dirt Dummy
Oct 13, 2011
NY
You should listen to your buddies!!!!

Oh and a nice set of gauges and you will be good to go

Sent from the road!!!!!
03 lb7 CC/LB

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Welcome! I used to live outside Ft Knox. Sold Chevys at a dealer in Radcliff for a while, geez that was a while ago.

I vote for: efi, dsp5, but go easy on the big tunes, unless your trans is built.

AIRBORNE

Nov 4, 2011
Morgantown, WV
Welcome! I used to live outside Ft Knox. Sold Chevys at a dealer in Radcliff for a while, geez that was a while ago.

I vote for: efi, dsp5, but go easy on the big tunes, unless your trans is built.

I live in Elizabethtown and commute to post everyday. It takes a little bit to get there, but I like where I live about 1.5 miles from 1-65. I was stationed at FT Campbell, KY for 3 years also. I am a West Virginia native, so I love being stationed in KY. :thumb:

AIRBORNE

Nov 4, 2011
Morgantown, WV
Thanks for the advice on the EFI guys. I think I am pretty much convinced by all the folks that have sworn by it. I guess my next question would be which exhaust and gauges? Correct me if I am wrong, but EFI has no readout screen, so I am basically going to need a pillar mount with round gauges?

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX

X2. DSP2 works fine for me, tow tune and hot street tune. race tune goes on by itself....I don't need the daily temptation!

Remember to let the trans learn when switching from a small tune to a big tune.

Try to keep the rwhp around 360-370 and your stock trans will live for quite a while. It will tend to limp on the higher HP when shifting from 4-5 or catching a heavy 5-4 downshift.

Build the trans when you can, you will love the feel of 450+HP on a built trans as a daily driver!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Darius6t9

I'm the Floater. Lurking.
Aug 23, 2008
Rusk, Tx. Again
I have the Banks programmer. That was before I knew about EFILive. If I could go back and do it over again, I would have gotten that instead. But we live and learn. It seems as though you did decide on that. That's good. As for exhaust, I would go with a 4" unless you plan on going real big with power. That will save you some money. And since you haul a 40' trailer, you might want to consider an exhaust brake. They are nice to have. or a turbo brake since yours is an 05'. Hope this helps.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
I used a edge when I got my truck. Sold it and went with efi and never looked back. Vendors on here can get you a good deal on gauges efi and if u don't plan on tuning your self they can even do that for you. Good luck

nmeyer414

Jan 30, 2011
currently no where
AIRBORNE,

just wanted to know how you like running radar hill there in salerno, that was my radar in 07, and i hated walking it 20-25 times a day. did they finally get all of the hard stand buildings up and all of the tents taken away? I could not have asked for a better place to be than salerno, but then again the 2 months i spent at tillman was great as well.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Henry from creatures can hook you up with the efi live gauges and all that stuff and he is very knoledgable about all the aftermarket stuff and the d max motors the link is in my sig below

AIRBORNE

Nov 4, 2011
Morgantown, WV
AIRBORNE,

just wanted to know how you like running radar hill there in salerno, that was my radar in 07, and i hated walking it 20-25 times a day. did they finally get all of the hard stand buildings up and all of the tents taken away? I could not have asked for a better place to be than salerno, but then again the 2 months i spent at tillman was great as well.

I don't run Radar Hill, but it's funny you mention it because while in the gym this morning I told my buddy we should start doing sprints up it. There are not a lot of people in tents anymore, but they're putting some new ones up as we speak for transient housing. We live in wooden B-Huts. We were the first rotation to live in these. It's not too bad. We still get the rocket attacks, and we are still known as Rocket City. We had one (122 from Pakistan) impact our BN HQ TOC in September. It actually came thru the roof and took out my best friend's office, which used to be my office. Luckily, he and I were just pulling back into the parking lot at Battalion from having dinner and we were not sitting in the office talking like we would have been. The only reason we were not inside was because I had to stop and pick up my laundry after dinner. Otherwise there would have been two wives at FT Knox with no Soldier to have a homecoming ceremony for in January. No one was seriously hurt, and it was miracle. :angel:

My company helped move some stuff up there onto Radar Hill about a month ago. I run the bulk fuel site at the base of the hill, as well as the ASP, SSA, and the other two fuel sites on the FOB. Got about 55 days left until TOA, and I am ready to get home! :woott:

AIRBORNE

Nov 4, 2011
Morgantown, WV
Okay, so with EFI Live, can I get a good tune that will help on the downhill? Or would you still recommend an exhaust brake? Which exhaust brake would you recommend?