New from Ohio

tch2391

Nov 5, 2015
Columbus, Ohio
Hi there. Just came home with a 05 LLY last night. I'm 24 years old and live in the Columbus Ohio area. This is my first diesel. I plan on using the truck just for light towing and for a hobby. I have long wanted a diesel truck and my fiancé let me pull the trigger before we are hitched this spring and start having kids. I'd like to know what everyone thinks is the best place to start with this thing. I'd like to change the fluids and detail it to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Welcome and congratulations! Fluids are a good place to start. And an lbz mouthpiece.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

tch2391

Nov 5, 2015
Columbus, Ohio
One thing I forgot to ask, I am not sure the last time the engine oil was changed or fuel filter. Is there any way of figuring this out? The oil is black but from what I have read this is normal for diesels. Should I just change it to be safe? I just don't want to waste an oil change if it was recent. Sorry for the newbie questions.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
There's an oil life reading on the gauge cluster dic. I'd change them anyway, it's easier to reset the meter than to change the oil.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

tch2391

Nov 5, 2015
Columbus, Ohio
Sting puller, I'm from Carroll. My buddy has an 04 black lb7 and lives in pick town. Glad to see another Fairfield county on here

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Welcome! Good choice for a truck. As mentioned, fluid changes, fix the LLY turbo mouthpiece and put some miles on it to see what you have. EGT gauge is a must, especially if you are going to tow. Don't waste your time with the "canned tuner of the month", if you're going to do performance mods get a good EFI Live tune. And save your pennies for a trans upgrade if you do. BTW, I grew up near Y town.

OnTheFritz

Sep 28, 2012
Butler, PA
Welcome. I'm from across the border. Haha
Sounds like you have a good starting point. You should look into either blocking or deleting the egr. You may need efi live to do this without codes. Depends on which emissions code you have. Also reroute the breather. It will keep oil out of the intercooler. Good luck and read up. Any questions you have can probably be found in old posts on here.