New DSP-5 switch panel...

Which style DSP-5 switch would you like to see?

• Total voters

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Would it be possible to pit a dip switch on it so you can set it to come on at any number instead of having to have it programmed when ordered?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Guys I just wanted to let you know that these are ready to go!!

The DSP-5 switch setup will be mounted in a small box/panel that you can mount anywhere on your dash/center console/etc.

The module will come with all of the required wiring and pins to hook up to the ECM (or, if you already have a DSP-5 switch, you can just connect the new DSP-5 switch to your existing pin/wire)

There are two buttons on the front, green for "increase power/tune-up" and red for "decrease power/tune-down". If you want different colors for each button, I can do that too.

The LED number display is available in three different colors. The standard color is red, but you can also specify blue or green display at no additional cost.

The DSP-5 switch also has a "valet" mode. There is an additional wire coming out of the DSP-5 switch that, when grounded, will lock the ECM in your "stock" tune. Even if the truck is turned off/restarted, as long as the "valet signal" wire is grounded, the truck will be locked in stock mode. You can run this wire to a hidden toggle switch under the dash, or something to that extent...

The module can be programmed to start off in "stock tune" each time the truck is started, OR it can be programmed to "remember" which tune the truck was last in when you shut it off, and then go back to that tune the next time the truck is started. (its programmed by pressing the up/down buttons in a certain sequence, and you can reprogram it as many times as you want)

The other special feature of the module is that it has a "general-purpose input/output". You can use this as an output to trigger a relay automatically when you switch to a certain tune (arm your nitrous when you go to race tune, turn water/meth on automatically when you go to your tow/tune, make an external light turn on when you go to race tune, etc). If used as an input, you can make the module automatically jump to a certain tune when 12volts is applied (for example, when you hit your nitrous button, the module will automatically jump to a 'nitrous-only' tune, when you push tow/haul button it could jump to your tow tune etc), hook it up to your steering wheel controls to change DSP-5 tune with those etc. Almost anything! Might be over-complicating things with that whole feature, but I figured I would add the functionality anyway if anyone sees a good use for it. :)

The standard numbering on the display goes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (stock to race), but if you want something different like "stock" being displayed as 0 or the display is simply turned off in "stock", that is possible as well, just let me know when you place your order.

Ill have final pricing info and pictures posted up later on today, but in the mean time, if anyone has any additional questions or comments, feel free to post them up.

thanks
Ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Alright everyone....VERY close. :D

I have the boards here, and the face plates for the gauge housings will be CNC'd here this week.

Just as an example of what goes into these things...I design, draw in CAD, code, and engineer all of these electronics by myself. I dont farm out software writing, design, drawing, I dont have someone holding my hand, etc.

But what this means is I have to check my own work (because pretty much everything I make is the first of its kind, there are no write-ups, no help guides, etc, I have to do all the R&D myself), and I make mistakes sometimes, these boards that you see here are all destined for the trash can! I have wasted thousands and thousands of dollars on mistakes like these, thats the cost of electronics R&D I guess. I drew one .015" wide electrical trace incorrectly, I connected it to the ground plane instead of to the +5v ref plane. OOPS. :rolleyes:

So I placed an expedited order for a bunch more boards, and I should have the corrected design here this week, just in time for the face plates to be back from the CNC shop. :cool:

Ill make up a new thread with the details, but here are some of the rough outlines.

There will be two "flavors", one with a basic 7-segment LED display (available in red, green, or blue number) that shows a number, and the other will be a dot-matrix 2-line LCD display that can show text and basic graphics (obviously this version will be slightly more expensive).

You can get the gauge face in multiple different colors, or you can get a "clear" faceplate that will allow you to see the inner circuit board, electronics, and computer chips.

The DSP-5 switch will have lots of other programmable features and miscellaneous GP I/O's. (general purpose inputs/outputs) as well.

The displays will be able to be "slaved" to my lockup controllers and tap-shift modules. Meaning, they will be able to communicate over a databus with my lockup controllers and tapshift modules, so the display can show tapshift gear info, and lockup controller status in addition to DSP-5 tune level.

More stuff/info/features to come VERY soon, stay 'tuned'. Get it? ha.

ben

image4Large.jpg

3Large.jpg

image1Large.jpg

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Just to make another quick note that I forgot to mention (thanks to Combine Pilot for asking me about this and reminding me!).....

The DSP-5 switch can be configured with the buttons on either the left OR right side. So if you have the DSP-5 switch mounted on the left side of the steering wheel, you would want the buttons on the "left" side of the display, so when you reach over with your left hand to change tune level, you arent blocking the display with your hand.

And vice versa, for guys who want to mount the DSP-5 switch in the center dash cubby or in an overhead mount or something, you can order the DSP-5 switch with the buttons on the right side of the display!

Ben