New Airdog won't prime

doug9940

Ca LLY
Dec 6, 2009
Corona, Ca.
I just finished some R&R on my truck. The fuel level sending unit in the tank wasn't working. So I thought this would be a good time to install the Airdog I've had sitting in the garage for a while now. I dropped the tank, changed the sending unit and installed a PPE billet pick-up. Then I installed the Airdog added about 8 gallons of fuel and attemped to prime the system. After filling the filters with fuel several times and endless bleeding at both the output side of the Airdog pump and the factory bleed screw. I am at a loss for what else to do next. I have gone back and double checked that the plumbing is correct, there are no kinks in any of the hoses and there are no air leaks on the fittings. The pump is pulling a vacuum at both the inlet side and at the fitting on top of the tank. I just can't get it to pull any fuel out of the tank. Anybody out there have any ideas?????

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it is probably time to drop the tank and double check that PPE billet fuel pickup install.

doug9940

Ca LLY
Dec 6, 2009
Corona, Ca.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it is probably time to drop the tank and double check that PPE billet fuel pickup install.

I'm gonna try to prime it with a short piece of fuel line from a large cup of fuel directly into the Airdog pump. If that doesn't works then I wil reconnect the line from the tank and see if it keeps prime. The last thing I want to do is drop the tank now that it has a bunch of fuel in it. I've been kicking around the idea of a billet sump. Just not sold on the idea of a chunk of my fuel tank hanging down on my daily driver.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've installed quite a few Air Dogs, and I've never had a problem priming. You can try pressurizing the tank with shop air to help push fuel out the pickup.

doug9940

Ca LLY
Dec 6, 2009
Corona, Ca.
I've installed quite a few Air Dogs, and I've never had a problem priming. You can try pressurizing the tank with shop air to help push fuel out the pickup.

I like that idea. That is the quickest and easiest. I've got a CO2 bottle in the garage that I can use. Thanks for the help on this one Josh.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

Unhook the outlet from the AD when you try priming it. With or without pressure in the tank. This way you can confirm good circulation and check for air bubbles which will indicate a loose connection or a leaky hose.