My truck is falling apart

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
:D

The other day my truck sitting in the driveway underneath it laying on the ground was the passenger side bump stop! What the hell? I thought they were made out of rubber or something but they're made out foam? It was all dry rotted and crumbly!

Are there any options besides the stock ones? I can't see dropping a deuce on the Timberline ones as I don't plow and my torsion bars are cranked so the suspension doesn't sit on them. I also don't want to make a harsh ride either IE a hard bump with suspension compression.

Are there any polyurethane ones? Or are you just as well to replace them with the stockers? I have to assume that when the suspension compress they must 'bump'. Suggestions?

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I saw mine were torn and crappy too. I thought the same thing... Really???? Rubber with foam inside???? Who does that?:rofl: GM apperantlly, but seriouslly, our EZ-GO has better bumpstops than those. One good whack on a new one and it would prolly crumble like a soggy doughnut.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
After spending a number of days with my truck on the hoist, I've been thinking of replacing the worn out stops, sway bar bushings, etc. Has anyone done polyurethane or other upgrades?

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I have not had front bump stops in 2 years. While they are designed to help the ride at factory height it seems most people crank there bars anyways defeating the original purpose. If your bars are cranked and you dont plan on jumping your truck 10' in the air just leave them out and I dont believe you will ever notice any differance..

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
the whole point of the jounce bumpers (technically they arent "bump stops") is a way to give the torsion bars a sort of progressive spring rate. They are a necessary part of the suspension and personally, I would replace them right away if they were bad on my truck...

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
the whole point of the jounce bumpers (technically they arent "bump stops") is a way to give the torsion bars a sort of progressive spring rate. They are a necessary part of the suspension and personally, I would replace them right away if they were bad on my truck...

Opinion's vary Ben;) Since I drag race, sled pull, DD, off road, and tow with my truck Without Jounce bumpers for the last 2 years without issue, I am confident they are not "NECESSARY" but I do agree you will get a better ride if your bars are not cranked and the Jouncers are in place:thumb: I would think with 1200lbs of weight bouncing up and down off the front of my truck sled pulling, That if something was going to break from running without Jouncers it would have by now.. :)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I will say and clarify that my opinion is based on the fact that I have stock (original, 150k+) shocks still on my truck...with the jounce bumpers removed, stock original shocks, and my truck being at stock height, I dont think it would do well without the jounce bumpers in place. :)

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
As soft as they are I don't see them helping much if it bottoms out. Maybe only knock out a couple teeth VS all of them.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
custom replacements can be bought from suspensionconnection.com....everything suspension related is poly in my piece of junk:D

Edit: i think I actually ordered straight from the Prothane site but I cant remember now

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I will say and clarify that my opinion is based on the fact that I have stock (original, 150k+) shocks still on my truck...with the jounce bumpers removed, stock original shocks, and my truck being at stock height, I dont think it would do well without the jounce bumpers in place. :)

Actually I believe GM calls them bumpers. http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

GM PART # 15153959

I really can't believe they do much besides eliminating a banging noise on suspension compression. There is no real strength to them there made out of foam rubber. The one that fell off my truck I could practically seriously crumble it in my hand. No abuse and NO harsh winter environment on them either or have they been compressed do to having my T-bars cranked up.. I'd imagine NOT having your T-Bars cranked up you would need them.

I can't believe you have the stock shocks on your truck. Man your missing so much!

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
custom replacements can be bought from suspensionconnection.com....everything suspension related is poly in my piece of junk:D

Edit: i think I actually ordered straight from the Prothane site but I cant remember now

I'll check that out Monday when I get to work

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
It probably rotted out from being washed too many times with GUNK...........;)

Possibly but who doesn't love the smell of Gunk? Hey when you got some Spunk on your Junk best clean it off with Gunk! That's my model,don't be a hater. :D

dry rotted from sitting in the garage so much

When I put some new ones on I'll spread a good coating of Suntan lotion on them to keep them fresh. :thumb:

It's almost time to put it away for the winter anyway. :D

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
All I Can Say Is WOW!!!

I'm the type of person who likes in all cases buy American products when at all possible even if it means paying more. In addition I also like to support my local economy even if it means paying more. Lets face it we gotta eat and it's best to keep money local so our fellow Americans neighbors can survive. But there becomes a point

I call up my Chevrolet dealer (Loehmann Blasius) armed with my vin and ask for the Bumpers for the lower control arms.YES BEN they are called BUMPERS! I do like to support this dealership as there is a member here that works there.

They have 1 in stock and they are $35 dollars each! WHAT???

The link I supplied says they list for $23 dollars and cost is $15 dollars. Thay kill you on shipping $13 dollars and I'd have to pay tax here in CT . So at gm parts direct total is around $43 bucks and the dealer would have been roughly $46 bucks at the list price at gm parts direct.

See what I mean support locals? But for $75 bucks for two? F'n forgetaboutit!

Stacks04 get on their asses!They lost the sale to Flow Chevrolet! :mad: