My new LBZ “build

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Got some parts in the mail yesterday. Upper ball joints were shot. Figured I’d give these a try. A few bucks cheaper than Moog on rock auto. Lifetime warranty. Quality is impressive. We will see how they hold up. Gonna throw on some cheapie MonoMax up front while I’m at it.
7c353bc0bc882dc4e8547655952cc5f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Ball joints and shocks in. Boy... both of the uppers were gone. Not sure how both tires never flew off. Was one of the easiest jobs I’ve done so far. Out and in smoothly. Took a bunch of pics of the ball joints. Anyone interested in a review post?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Just a few updates. Still have the truck. I’ve decided to keep it. Front end seems to be fine with new parts. Going to be getting a set of sleeves and UCAs next. Needs a new steering stem bushing. Still hate the banks monster duals. Still having an issue with voltage fluctuation, so much so that the lights will brighten and dim. But all in time. Bigger things to come.

On another note, since I see y’all and my family and this thread was labeled my life decisions, big changes coming soon. 2018 chewed me up and spit me out. I lost almost everything and everyone I’ve ever had. So I’ve made a decision to move 5 hours away to start fresh. New job, new me. Wish me luck guys. I’ll need it.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
hard to beat a cleaned up black truck. Good luck Zak, past is past, bust ass for the future. BTW, flickering interior and exterior lights is not an alternator issue, its a battery issue. ive seen this many times personally. i dont know what it is with the batteries but every so often someone will call me with that issue, say they have replaced the alternator with no change but they put new batteries in not too long ago. They or i swap them out and its good to go. something about the batteries not absorbing the slight fluctuations from the alternator causes this. They are the buffer between the alternator and the truck electrical system.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Just a few updates. Still have the truck. I’ve decided to keep it. Front end seems to be fine with new parts. Going to be getting a set of sleeves and UCAs next. Needs a new steering stem bushing. Still hate the banks monster duals. Still having an issue with voltage fluctuation, so much so that the lights will brighten and dim. But all in time. Bigger things to come.

On another note, since I see y’all and my family and this thread was labeled my life decisions, big changes coming soon. 2018 chewed me up and spit me out. I lost almost everything and everyone I’ve ever had. So I’ve made a decision to move 5 hours away to start fresh. New job, new me. Wish me luck guys. I’ll need it.

You'll be just fine...:hug:

I will call you in a bit...:thumb:

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
hard to beat a cleaned up black truck. Good luck Zak, past is past, bust ass for the future. BTW, flickering interior and exterior lights is not an alternator issue, its a battery issue. ive seen this many times personally. i dont know what it is with the batteries but every so often someone will call me with that issue, say they have replaced the alternator with no change but they put new batteries in not too long ago. They or i swap them out and its good to go. something about the batteries not absorbing the slight fluctuations from the alternator causes this. They are the buffer between the alternator and the truck electrical system.

I thought about that, but I can see my gauge fluctuate as well. It will level out most of the time. But when it starts it will fluctuate from 14-17 volts back and forth. That’s when the lights go haywire. Then it’ll level off. My truck does have dual alternators, and pretty sure the Dekas in it are fairly new. I hope I don’t need new batteries.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I thought about that, but I can see my gauge fluctuate as well. It will level out most of the time. But when it starts it will fluctuate from 14-17 volts back and forth. That’s when the lights go haywire. Then it’ll level off. My truck does have dual alternators, and pretty sure the Dekas in it are fairly new. I hope I don’t need new batteries.

Gauge will follow suit like that

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Best of luck with the new endeavor! Are you going to be working for NC-smokinlmm?!?!

How are you liking those wheels & tires? My wife's chrome wheels are pitted to hell and been thinking about new rims for hers - she has a black 02 so I think your rims would look good on her truck too. And my truck needs new tires. I really want the Ridgegrapplers but for the money, those tires you have look close enough. So, if they're performing (wear, noise, traction in adverse road conditions) good for you, then I'd definitely consider them for my truck. :thumb:

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Best of luck with the new endeavor! Are you going to be working for NC-smokinlmm?!?!

How are you liking those wheels & tires? My wife's chrome wheels are pitted to hell and been thinking about new rims for hers - she has a black 02 so I think your rims would look good on her truck too. And my truck needs new tires. I really want the Ridgegrapplers but for the money, those tires you have look close enough. So, if they're performing (wear, noise, traction in adverse road conditions) good for you, then I'd definitely consider them for my truck. :thumb:

Maybe :D

As for the tires, I’m very impressed with them especially for the price. They are wearing excellent. I’ve probably got between 5-7k on them and see no wear. Traction is good. We had about 16 inches of snow last month and didn’t struggle with it. As for noise, I can’t guve a great comparison because I’m used to Proxes and my sunroof lets in a lot of noise, but I’d say they’re definitely louder than an AT. Maybe around a mild MT for sound. The wheels are holding up fine. Too small for my taste but better than stock :thumb:

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Made it to my new home last night. Work starts Monday. Should be great!

Not much changed on the truck. Needs quite a bit at the moment. Front end (steering) needs attention. Have coolant going somewhere. Not in water or oil and hose isn’t hard. Saw some pouring out of the little pipe under the condenser/accumulator few weeks back. Might be it? And got sick of it being silent. Chopped off the two uneven terrible tail pipes and slid the muffler off. Gonna get a turndown and leave it. Anyone want a banks monster muffler?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Tried to have it lined up today. My passenger side is toed in at the bottom causing funky wear. I was told that my uppers, lowers, and tie rods have play. Maybe they’re full of sh!t. Maybe not. I could see my tie rods having a bit of play. But my uppers are less than 6 months old and lowers didn’t have play when I replaced the uppers. Truck has leveling keys installed before I got it but the bolts are barely in and the truck sits an inch or two shorter up front so I don’t think angles are causing it. Either way I’m sick of loud tires. As soon as I get the money I’m going kryptonite ball joints, PPE tie rods (would go kryptonite but have a hookup) and putting factory keys and drop shackles with proxys

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Another new adventure starts this Monday. Had a great time on my last one and met a lot of great new friends, just wasn’t the best timing. I’ll be traveling with the truck so I’m happy the mileage is better than before. But the new company reimburses any gas purchase made for company business so not too worried. I’m in the market for another lb7 in the next few months for a dedicated traveling truck. Found a 01 ccsb for $7700 I’ll try to jump on when the time is right. Wish me luck! This new job is an even bigger change than the last but the company is stoked to have me work with them. They’ve been trying since January. Pay is killer, and the benefits are even better, and incorporates my electrical skills.