My LB7 RCLB Build

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Going to look at a truck with 04 lb7 191,000 on the ticker for a beater farm truck. I always seem to overlook things when buying a used vehicle, so I could use some help with a list of everything I should look over.

Things I usually do.

Check trans fluid level and color
Check Balance rates
Check coolant level and color
Check engine oil level, and smell for diesel

On the drive, feel for slop in steering
make sure trans shifts thru all gears smoothly
Test to make sure 4wd actuates in front diff and Trans case.

That sums up my check list. What else do you guys look for?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Blow by
Transfer case pump rub
Look at rotors/pads as best you can
Check brake fluid. I'd bet it's never been changed.
Coolant overflow tank looks ok - not stained black from blown head gaskets
Tires worn evenly
Switches all work (windows, locks, cruise, hvac controls)

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
I pry wouldn't have thought of some of those switches like cruise and HVAC. I'm just trying to remember, the lb7's pvc vents at the front of the oil pan right?

Check for no smoke! Unless its already tuned

It's an lb7... it's going to have smoke. lol I'm getting it at a price that will allow me enough for new injectors.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
If its got a good price on it I wouldn't pick it to death. I'd make sure the injectors were good, head gaskets and trans. Just the major stuff. The things I could fix $50.00 here and there I wouldn't worry about. Unless the asking price is on the high side.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
It's a RCLB, and I am going to pick it up for $8k. The body is really straight for the miles, and the interior looks pretty good, minus the carpet. (not a big deal cuz it'll be a farm truck anyway) I looked up the blue book, and its between 12-12,500. I figure $3000 will get me new injectors....

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
I pry wouldn't have thought of some of those switches like cruise and HVAC. I'm just trying to remember, the lb7's pvc vents at the front of the oil pan right?

It's an lb7... it's going to have smoke. lol I'm getting it at a price that will allow me enough for new injectors.

Hmm mine had no smoke at all when I had it stock.. With good injectors though:D

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Does the seller think it has bad injectors?

Bring a clean white paper towel. Drop a dab of the oil on it from the dipstick when you check the oil. Then set it aside & continue checking it out. If theres fuel in the oil, it'll leave a lighter color wet ring around the black oil spot. ;)

Did u ask about the pcv for checking for blow by? I just check by taking cap off the oil fill while its running.

If you can go run it hard for a bit, then come back & look it over or chew the fat with the guy, you can see if the radiator hose stays hard indicating possible head gasket issue.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
I'm pretty sure it has injector issues. The seller says it has white haze at idle and cleans up going down the road. Good idea on the upper rad hose. If I get it, where is the best bang for your buck for new-reman injectors? Last time I just had a shop do brand new 20 overs from industrial. ..... that was pretty spendy.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Welp, pry going to go pick it up tomorrow. I'll post some pic's when I get her home.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Just ordered these for it, except ATII's "extreme" instead of trail grapplers.

18x9-kmc-xd-series-badlands-779-black-wheel-rim-2856518-nitto-trail-grappler.jpg

It's getting completely gone through, and for sure replacing/adding:

Injectors
Lift pump
CS Insight w/ probe
New Bilstein 5100's all around
HD Tie rods
Spray in bedliner
Bed caps
Intake (Thanks Jake! I need you to pm me your phone #)
Exhaust
and possibly a built trans...

If it gets built trans, I'll do a dsp 5 with max effort tune, If not, I'll go for a conservative trans safe single tune.

It'll be a while, but I will update when I git er done! Should be a hell of a work truck!

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Well, I ended up with 20% overs, Fass lift pump, cognito tie rods and braces, Bilstein 5100's all around, s&b Intake, 4" MBRP exhaust, edge cs dash mounted with probe, DSP 5 switched via cs. Adrenaline Performance in Shelley Idaho did the work for me. Cam is an awesome guy to work with! I didn't build the trans because I ran out of money. This transmission is still in great shape, so I'll make it last as long as I can. I've put a few miles on the truck, and it runs and drives really nice. I still need to debadge, tint, spray in bed liner, tow mirrors, and a few odds and ends.

BEFORE

AFTER