Info: Motor city files for bankruptcy today.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Too many dishonest people with their hands in the pot for it to ever get fixed.

My brother told me years ago, "If you read the FreePress, there will be a story of graft, dishonesty or outright theft by a public official every day". He was right.

Detroit is the sewer that the rest of Michigan pours its money down.....

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The unsustainable pensions which can never ever be paid off has a lot to do with it. There are 21,000 people collecting pensions there right now.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Pretty sad but the city of Detroit proper is at a 65% vacancy for commercial and industrial.Cant support the city by the few Property tax payers there.My wife was telling me about 1 of her cowrkers here in Ill came here for a job and owns a house just outside of detroit cant rent it and cant sell it.Its a very nice home and he cant get 30,000 for it.When theres a fire call the cops have to gaurd the fire trucks because the theives steal the ladders chain saws whatever isnt nailed down off the trucks while they are trying to fight the fires.If theres a Police call in a bad part of town after dark,IF they show up its much later but alot of the time they never even show up.:(

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Screw them I wouldn't give that shit hole a dime. Now obama is going to come in and save his union buddies with our tax dollars let the city rot nothing but crooks and thiefs! that place was a shithole when I was there in 06 for my ford/AAA contest for nationals and its only gotten worse

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
F that shithole. I used to travel there a lot for work. You couldn't pay me enough to live there. Burn it to the ground for all I care.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
I vote that they let it rot. I don't want to throw all the big cities in this category, but it seems like they are all full of life sucking crooks.

dmaxbowtie

Duramax fiend
Jun 2, 2011
RI
It seems to be this way with any city that has ever had an excellent economy. The city booms and tons of people move in for work and when the work moves elsewhere the people stay and live poor. I live near a city in Massachusetts (fall river) that was the textile capital of the world at one point, and now it's all 3 family houses, not much for work, and poverty.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Detroit reminds me of being in foreign 3rd world countries except the people there were nicer.

Anybody ever get bored and take a tour of detroit in google earth? Its pretty neat, you see houses burning, plenty of burnt and destroyed ones and abandoned vandalized stuff everywhere. Its a dang ghost town. In any other town they would clean them up, but I think they have just given up since they ruin more in a day than they have time to clean up. Many are not that bad of houses either.

On the plus side I know a few people who grew up in Detroit. Nice people but their street skills are amazing. They were not part of any gang, you just needed to know how to hold your own. I had a teacher that grew up in the bad side of Milwaukee. He got jumped one night when he was 12 walking home, beat the other guys up with his clarinet case of all things, which was actually the reason they were intially picking on him. He went on to win a lot of national and world championships wrestling before going to WWF. He didn't stay in WWF long and was paid to loose most of the time but the stories he has from the crazy things the other guys did are worth hearing. His short stint was during the 80s.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Burn it to the ground, collect insurance, start over.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Man you guys wouldn't believe the stories I have. Used to install equipment on GM assembly line. Been to Detroit and Mexico City many times, at least I knew to expect crooked cops in Mexico, but to be totally honest, I wasn't expecting that in Detroit. Coming from a relatively small town in Bama, the first time I went to Detroit, it was major culture shock. Thankfully I'm a fast learner. I got lost in a part of town I shouldn't have been in, well lets just say the rental car had a few new dents in it:angel:.

DuramaxPowered

Pushing my luck....
Jan 27, 2008
Monroe, MI
I'm a lineman in Detroit. I've been all over the city and seen pretty much every area. All I can say is you would not believe some of the shit that I see every day. The natives steal the power lines on a regular basis to scrap the copper. Anything that is metal on an abandoned house is long gone and scrapped. We've had a few guys robbed at gun point, most of the time they just steal all the copper off of our trucks. There are some good people there, mostly the older ones. They will keep up on their houses and keep the grass cut.

Sent from my big ass Note2 via tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Let that shit hole rot. It to bad about the good people in that town it hard to leave your home, but I think its time to move.

It seems to be this way with any city that has ever had an excellent economy. The city booms and tons of people move in for work and when the work moves elsewhere the people stay and live poor. I live near a city in Massachusetts (fall river) that was the textile capital of the world at one point, and now it's all 3 family houses, not much for work, and poverty.

Not here is TX DFW and Houston are growing like crazy. Houstons housing market is actually a sellers market right now.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Hope my city hall is watching, cause we're next. Oozing population. Closed the high school this year. What am I supposed to do with all the candy?!

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
i drove through there two weeks ago head to st clair MI... its the only place i have seen substantially tagged street signs... in places that make you got HTF did they get there?!?!?
actually one of the few places.. i probably would not stop for stop signs/lights

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
Been there for sure! Entered back into Detroit from Canada at about 1 am one time. Road construction got me and the gps lost. Ended up in a grafittied up hood with stripped cars on the streets etc. I wasn't stopping for anything. Slowed up at the stop signs and hit the go pedal so anyone around knew the straight piped beast was getting outta there.

15-20 years back I was working for a hospital, delivering medicial supplies to patients. There were bad storms that knocked out power to a lot of people and we had to go around to all patients with iv pumps and stuff to make sure they had power and batteries. I got the detroit route that day. Was out all day and getting into evening/ after sunset. So here's this little white boy, driving down Gratiot or whatever st it was, in a cargo van that said something about medicial supplies on the side. No joke, the place looked like a war zone. People were burning stuff in the streets for lighting or fun or out of boredom. There was an upside down car on fire in the middle of one street. That day couldn't end soon enough. I'm still haunted from it.

bigjohn

GMC Dmax
Oct 13, 2012
Westview Pa
Wow that's a shame that every town that had some sort of blue collar work is destroyed by the politics . We had the steel mills here in pittsburgh and they shut them all down but one In Braddock. In Erie Pa there shutting G E down and going south to Texas. Zurns was a another big MFG that left and head to Texas theses company's were both in Erie for almost a 100 years and they pulled out because of politics.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Well when your politics hamper or destroy business. They want to survive and grow just like anyone else. Its a real shame when leave the country altogether.