More EPA reg's on the horizon possibly.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The thing is, there will be a big demand for breaking the encrypted CAN. Aftermarket remote start, alarms, stereos, etc., will all want in. And most likely, GM will use the same encryption system on the gas and diesel vehicles. Not to mention there will have to be a way for aftermarket shops to replace failed modules. So it might be like how we initially got the .bin files for the LML: download them from GM. I suspect there will be a service page (Techline/TDS?) where you enter a VIN, and it gives you the calibration files and seed/key for that vehicle so a module can be replaced/reprogrammed at a 3rd party shop, just like how a 3rd party shop replaces/reprograms a failed ECU now.

It will keep people out for a while, but I strongly suspect someone will get in eventually, as long as there is a demand for aftermarket accessories (and even tunes) that require the data bus.

And a replacement ECU might not be a great choice for a street/daily driver vehicle, but for a primarily race application it would be fine. How many race vehicles have gutted their dash anyway? And once you replace the HVAC controls, any aftermarket ECU will run the A/C directly. Heck, most have launch control built in, and a ton of other incentives for race use.

Finally, (again, for a race application) swapping the TCM to the industrial / unencrypted CAN version might be an option with an aftermarket ECU. That, or a complete TCM swap as well. The Allison is a complex beast, but we have aftermarket TCMs for many popular transmissions currently. If there is a demand, someone will eventually make one.

Maybe this level of pain is exactly what the EPA wants? If it is harder than plugging in a V2 or AutoCal and hitting "Go", how many less tuned vehicles will there be on the road?

doug9940

Ca LLY
Dec 6, 2009
Corona, Ca.
The petition only needs 6,247 more signatures to reach the 100k goal. That's a little over 82k signatures in the last 20 hours. Keep signing people. Wouldn't surprise me if the EPA just throws the entire petition into the round file, but we have to go down swinging.

Last edited:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I had to sign the one asking for Obama to appear on Bill Maher also.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk