More EPA reg's on the horizon possibly.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
This is the least of your guys concerns honestly! It's about to get really ugly really soon guys! Here is the reason why we haven't gotten into the LML's at all. Read through this very carefully and the links at the bottom to the other articles and tell me how warm and fuzzy you guys feel inside...:mad: Signing this might have just put a target on an individuals back for them to focus on...

http://theshopmag.com/features/monitoring-performance-diesel-emissions

Last edited:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I wonder how long it will be before we see another revolution in this country......

I for one am completely sick of being stripped of my freedoms on almost a daily basis anymore.

It's pretty ironic that the "headline" on the web page the link takes you to says "we the people". We the people have no say anymore it seems.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Land of the free my ass right?

Dunno about down there but up here electronic petitions aren't valid. Has to be on paper to be legal up here. And there has been a pile of petitions going around these parts lately.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
What we really need is a petition to disband the 'EPA'. They are INSANE. They stuff all this garbage down out throats, and if they had their way, they would require that all cow farts were collected, not allowed to get into the atmosphere. And that huge toxic spill they caused quietly disappeared, meanwhile they're raising a stink over vw and their 'cheating'.

If they want this junk on the vehicles, then they should be footing the bill to replace it when it goes bad, as well as the collateral damage caused by it going bad, if applicable. I am NOT paying a 3k+ repair bill to replace the egr and dpf on my wife's jetta next time it goes bad. It'll either get deleted or driven straight to a GM dealer for a new vehicle.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

There is no revenue to be generated by their mistake but by catching VW they can fine a business and keep revenue coming in. if they really cared about the environment they wouldn't fine them and then let them keep doing it they would just shut them down or stop allowing their vehicles in this country.

Last edited:

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
So the million dollar question, what will happen to those of us that will be outside the these regulations from the start if this gets passed? I can understand states that have vehicle inspections probably will not let you register a vehicle until it passes, but some states have no inspections. For the most part I don't have to worry about that part of it, because I have a 01, but then you get into the part that Mark posted about everything has to be in OE spec. That will cause pretty much every older used car to became worthless.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
If it passes (I highly doubt it will in its current form), its not going into effect until 2018, and I think all vehicles prior to 2018 are exempt.

So if im reading it correctly, there will be big issues for deleting your new 2018 Duramax, but model years prior to that, you're just subject to the emissions laws and inspections of your local county....exact same as it is today. :)

Honestly, by the time 2018 comes around, tuning will be all but dead anyways. The EPA regs are going to be the least of your concerns/roadblocks. GM will be rolling out encrypted GMLAN (FD-CAN) into car/truck ECU's within the next couple years...in order to reflash any module, it needs to be unlocked with a 5-byte seed/key that is only stored in the cloud on GM servers. 5-bytes. Thats over 1-trillion possible key combinations.

The reason for going to an encrypted databus/ECU communications is mostly due to increasing cyberthreats of wirelessly hacking vehicles and taking over control of critical systems while people are driving. And then another benefit obviously being that only GM software can be reflashed, so no more tuning.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Most generally my state is 2-6 years (sometimes more) than the rest of the world. I think it's safe to say my truck will be junk or non existent by the time I have to worry too much.

All this EPA and diesel talk really reassures my decision to go back to an older truck or back to a gasser. Plus parts are cheap.