ML Converter driveability question.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Tony had a little defuel on my shifts with one of his big programs. All Allisons need some defuel.

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
Mine will defuel harder when I've been driving like an old man but after I've been hard on it for a while the shifts are faster and less defuel. At least it feels like that

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I have not had a single issue with my ML converter in 3 years. Spool truck to 2000 rpm and it leaves hard, but drive normally and it responds smoothly. Great overall converter. Mike, ya done good. :thumb:

x2 on some defuel for shifts. IIRC, wasnt there a big stink a while ago about turning off the defuel request in the TCM?

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
Tony had a little defuel on my shifts with one of his big programs. All Allisons need some defuel.

yeah he also has some defuel on mine also but its so slight that it doesnt feel like a manual transmission like all the other tunes i had. most tuners worry about the wot shifts and thats it but driving around town it sucks. anybody can make a truck idle and run wot. i hated the way my truck shifted until tony got in it. everybody that used to ride with me in the truck would always ask "why does it shift so slow...are you letting off the gas between shifts?" now i dont have to answer that stupid question anymore. anyone that hasnt had his tuning doesnt know any better but ive had all the "big name" tuners out there and it was like a whole different truck after tony tuned it. hell some of the tunes i had before tony, the big charger would bark in between shifts!:eek:

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
x2 on some defuel for shifts. IIRC, wasnt there a big stink a while ago about turning off the defuel request in the TCM?[/QUOTE]

proper shifting is done through the ecm not tcm. the guys that try and use a "tcm" tune to correct shifting is because they dont know how to properly do it with the ecm.:thumb:

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
I'm sure my issues are tuning related. Sometimes it will pull away good from the stoplight with small throttle inputs and other times it seemes to take more.

About defueling...with these tunes it seems to have too much defuel on part throttle. It feels like a manual trans when it shifts.

I know there is no comparison...but comparing my efilive tunes to the 2 handhelds I've used...the Hypertech III and the Predator. These feel like the Hypercrap. At part throttle the Hypercrap would suddenly add fuel and timing at about 2200 rpm and the truck would suddenly accelerate and defuel bad during shifts. With the Predator it was smooth all thru the rpm range and shift just like stock.

I'm not interested in learning how to tune so when I had my work done and tuned I didn't buy efi V2 or what ever its called. Now I wish I had. I wanted an Autocal so I could log and then send them in to be adjusted and sent back to me...I've been waiting for months for one. I guess I need to look for a new tuner. :(

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I'm sure my issues are tuning related. Sometimes it will pull away good from the stoplight with small throttle inputs and other times it seemes to take more.

About defueling...with these tunes it seems to have too much defuel on part throttle. It feels like a manual trans when it shifts.

I know there is no comparison...but comparing my efilive tunes to the 2 handhelds I've used...the Hypertech III and the Predator. These feel like the Hypercrap. At part throttle the Hypercrap would suddenly add fuel and timing at about 2200 rpm and the truck would suddenly accelerate and defuel bad during shifts. With the Predator it was smooth all thru the rpm range and shift just like stock.

I'm not interested in learning how to tune so when I had my work done and tuned I didn't buy efi V2 or what ever its called. Now I wish I had. I wanted an Autocal so I could log and then send them in to be adjusted and sent back to me...I've been waiting for months for one. I guess I need to look for a new tuner. :(

I can have a autocal sent right out to you.

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
My experiences with the ml have all been positive. Whoever tunes your truck, its very important to log it to see whats going on if you have the capabilities to do so. Most race tunes are designed to be used for that purpose but nothings better than having it shift properly at any throttle setting. Hope you get it all fixed up.