LB7: Mild motor build

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Machine work on the block will run you around 550.00. The cheapest you can do a decent build and not including injectors,turbos, dual fuelers,etc. will be around 7000.00 with you doing all the work. That is using quality parts at the best prices you will find. That build will not include port/upgraded heads and all the bells and whistles but it would be durable for 800 hp with the right tuning.

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
yep that is for my DD. I figured it will be around 12k-14k after it is all said and done and also dont forget to add the price of the oil pump, oil cooler, water pump also. I bought a lb7 long block complete with wiring harness for $500 with a fuel knock. I would keep a sharp eye on DD and DP for a long block.

Last edited:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Josh's motor was the cheapest build you can get away with. We put new bearings, gaskets and rods in the motor. We were able to reuse the rings and his dad machined the pistons and put keys in the crank and cam. Had the motor balanced and called it a day.

rods- 2700
headstuds- 530
gaskets- 300
balance job- 200
bearings- 150?
Machine work- free
Labor- I work for coors light:D

very simple motor build for under 5k

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I'm probably going to get flamed for this but what is the longevity of a built motor for a dd?

Same as a non built motor unless you go crazy with low compression pistons or something , Dimitri has put 40k on his built motor and a whole lot of abuse and so far it hasnt skipped a beat .

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
I'm probably going to get flamed for this but what is the longevity of a built motor for a dd?

thats a tough question to accuratly anwser

Look at Newly ,look at Mick look at Nast girl in his early years 2 passes and it was all over but the crying

1-3 built motors dont last more than 100 miles:(

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
thats a tough question to accuratly anwser

Look at Newly ,look at Mick look at Nast girl in his early years 2 passes and it was all over but the crying

1-3 built motors dont last more than 100 miles:(

This is true, but I would say 98% of the failures are builder error.

To get it done right it costs big bucks becaue of the time it takes. But there are always going to be people out there willing to just slap things together for less. Many times just slapping things together works, but not always. This is where the term blueprinting comes from...it means checking EVERYTHING. It is an overused term and most people claiming to do it couldn't list off everything that should be done. This is one of those things that you get what you pay for. I have also seen good shops that charge alot get backed up and in a rush and slap stuff together and hope for the best.....not cool when your paying to dollar.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I beleive the that Paul , We use a little shop down in richfeild UT , for the few of the local guys that have built motors , he has done the short blocks , all machining and assembly , really maticulious guy that no one has every heard of outside of this state . So far 4 out of 4 motors have lasted to racing , sled pulling , daily driving, and towing . we have not seen anywere near the problems i have heard about on other builds .

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

just as long if not longer than a stock motor.

IF you dont use crappy aftermarket parts, that is. Mine [built motor] made it 15,000 miles before putting two rods out the side of the block.

I have never had any transmission or engine that Ive built come apart due to builder (me) error. Take your time, quadrouple check everything, use a torque wrench, and you'll be fine.

ben

Last edited:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Given building with quality parts, using quality machining and assembly is accurate then the tuning is semi conservative you should have a durable and lasting build.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
anyone know what those lbz rods are good to?

Not enough that I would put them in a build. They have failed in the 700-800 range. Scrimmager and Tomac both bent them I believe and I'm sure there are others as well. Rods are the one thing I would not skimp on if I were shooting for 700+ hp with dual pumps. Just my 2 cents.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Not enough that I would put them in a build. They have failed in the 700-800 range. Scrimmager and Tomac both bent them I believe and I'm sure there are others as well. Rods are the one thing I would not skimp on if I were shooting for 700+ hp with dual pumps. Just my 2 cents.

X2 It is a lot of time and money to rip these motors apart

Get a good rod and never worry again....its money well spent JMO:)

You might be able to get away with it,But it will always be in the back of your head.....Wondering?:D

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
No one has mentioned that even for a minor "engine" build he should build a killer transmission....

No tranny no go'y

unless i missed that he has already done that?

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
No one has mentioned that even for a minor "engine" build he should build a killer transmission....

No tranny no go'y

unless i missed that he has already done that?

Robert,

He has a Sun Coast Stage 4 so he should be good in that department :hug:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I have around 10,800 in my build. With machine work gaskets rods pistons dual cp3's 30 over injectors all work done by us